Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Iscar inserts...School me

Hello,
    I have a Iscar Self-Grip parting / grooving tool that came with our little CNC lathe.The carbide inserts have a slight v groove in the top and bottom surface so that they wedge into the tool holder and self center. OK, I can find the Iscar web site and I can find carbide inserts at enco, MSC, and other on-line suppliers, but I can't find a site, including Iscar that will give me the dimensions of the holder and inserts so I can figure out what it is. How can I figure out which one of the many different inserts fit the holder? The main body of the holder is .5" square and the thinned section that holds the insert is .068" thick.
    Thanks! Matt

Originally posted by Techtchr
    Hello,
    I have a Iscar Self-Grip parting / grooving tool that came with our little CNC lathe.The carbide inserts have a slight v groove in the top and bottom surface so that they wedge into the tool holder and self center. OK, I can find the Iscar web site and I can find carbide inserts at enco, MSC, and other on-line suppliers, but I can't find a site, including Iscar that will give me the dimensions of the holder and inserts so I can figure out what it is. How can I figure out which one of the many different inserts fit the holder? The main body of the holder is .5" square and the thinned section that holds the insert is .068" thick.
    Thanks! Matt

Are there any numbers visible on the holder (probably starting SG....)?
    If so, they would make identification much easier.

Tim

Comment

Absolutely no identifying numbers or letters. It just says Iscar and Self-Grip . The dot on the I in iscar is shaped like a diamond shaped insert bit.
      Thanks, Matt

Comment

I've got a similar blade (generic enco) of the same width. It uses MTGX-2 inserts.

The inserts are 0.087" wide, wider than the holder.

"X" for Neutral, Right, or Left. Neutral is the most common.

As always, I prefer the uncoated inserts because they are a little sharper.

An enco part number would be 359-3025.

Comment

It could be, for instance, an SGAHR 12-2, which takes a GT*2 or GT*2.4 insert, or an SGTFR 1212-2, which takes a GF*2 or GF*2.4 insert. Those are metric sizes (holders 12mm x 12mm, groove widths 2 or 2.4mm), I honestly don't know what the difference is between GT & GF, or whether Iscar use inch dimensions in the US.

HTH
          Tim

Comment

This might help,follow the link to an ID page,click on the holder that most looks like yours,you will then see a page with several different sizes listed.Click on a model number and it will take you to a dimensions page with all the particulars listed,hope this helps.

http://www.carbidedepot.com/Dynamicl...CategoryID=167
            I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Working...
            X