No announcement yet.

dry machining aluminum...??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like my idea of drilling through the 3/4" - 1.5" aluminum dry is not working. I can't keep the hole finish clean and the bit keeps packing. WD-40 does wonders and just a little goes a long ways. I'll have to settle for squirting a little wd 40 on the bit for now.

Thanks............Krems

Comment

dry machining aluminum...??

I don't understand why you need to drill a deep hole dry, unless it is part of an assembly that you don't want to get all gunky. Anyway, the best cutting fluid that I have ever found for non ferous metals is Relton's A-9. You don't have to flood it, just a tiny little swab on the tip of the drill will do a great job of keeping the metal from sticking to the bit. Peck drilling is the best way to not make a mess of it, also.

Just my $0.02 worth.
      Jim (KB4IVH)

Only fools abuse their tools.

Comment

pump-up garden or kitchen spray bottle, kero.
        If you're drilling/boring don't spose it matters, but if you're turning, best finish is max speed you can get away with, zero rake tool, and kero.

If you want real flash finish, scotchbrite green
        Just got my head together
        now my body's falling apart

Comment

Ethyl alcohol is the best and is used for high speed aluminum machining in industry. It has to be ethyl and it has to be 96% anhydrous. It leaves no mess and if that doesn't work then you can drink it. I recommend orange juice as a diluent.
          Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Evan, without a vacuum still, you're only get 96%. Even if you do have a vacuum still, the seond it hits atmosphere, it's gonna absorb 4% unless RH is zero!

Moral is, drink the ethanol, any flavour you like. Use kero for ali!

Comment

The remaining 4% water is chemically bound. I believe the standard method to remove that 4% is to filter the ethyl through unslaked lime.

Comment

And you're gonna drink it after that????

Comment

Whatsa matter? Afraid it will become poisonous?

Comment

Well, mine comes off the reflux column at about 94%. That's good enough for me. Cut 50/50 with water, bottle it and call it vodka. After that, mix with tomato juice, ice, etc.

Disagree with the lime thing though. Ethanol is so hygroscopic, you cannot get better than 96% without a vacuum still, and as soon as you expose pure ethanol to atmosphere.......

Aint many places on earth with 0% RH

Comment

PROCESS OF MANUFACTURE
                      Absolute alcohol is an important product required by industry. As per IS Specification it is nearly 100% pure / water free alcohol. Alcohol as manufactured is rectified spirit, which is 94.68% alcohol, and rest is water. It is not possible to remove remaining water from rectified spirit by straight distillation as ethyl alcohol forms a constant boiling mixture with water at this concentration and is known as azeotrope. Therefore, special process for removal of water is required for manufacture of absolute alcohol.
                      In order to extract water from alcohol it is necessary to use some dehydrate, which is capable of separating, water from alcohol.
                      Simple dehydrate is unslacked lime, Industrial alcohol is taken in a reactor and quick lime is added to that and the mixture is left over night for complete reaction. It is then distilled in fractionating column to get absolute alcohol. Water is retained by quick lime. This process is used for small-scale production of absolute alcohol by batch process.

http://www.ethanolindia.net/molecular_sieves.html

Comment

Moonshine?

Is this just up-market "moon-shine"?

And you drink it?

While your machining aluminium?

Why not "Brasso"? You can get pissed and polished at the same time.

And if you are hungry? Boot-polish on bread and butter.

How to brighten things up?

Easy.

"Techni-colour yawn" after drinking and eating that stuff - if you survive it?

Comment

Try using “Tap Magic Aluminum Cutting Fluid”
                          You will never cut aluminum dry again; the difference is like between day and night.
                          www.tapmagic.com

And no I am in no way associated with Tapmagic.

Comment

I have have good luck using lard, next time you have bacon for breakfast save the grease for the shop, good use for a waste product. Imo it makes a good tapping/cutting lub.
                            re
                            Herm Williams

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
                              Ethyl alcohol is the best and is used for high speed aluminum machining in industry. It has to be ethyl and it has to be 96% anhydrous. It leaves no mess and if that doesn't work then you can drink it. I recommend orange juice as a diluent.

I use the alcohol I can buy at Home Depot. It's called "S-L-X Clean Strip Denatured Alcohol." It works very well for tapping and drilling, and it's fairly clean. I thought it was ethyl, but I can't find it anywhere on the can. When I used in as windshield wiper fluid, it would make my car smell briefly like a drunk's breath.

Since it's denatured, you certainly can't drink it - the can says that it "cannot be made non-poisonous". There are a butt-load of other stern warnings on the can about how dangerous it is. But much to my surprise, it's very nice for use cutting aluminum - at least for 6061 and 7075.

-Mark
                              The curse of having precise measuring tools is being able to actually see how imperfect everything is.

Comment

Originally posted by oldtiffie
                                "Techni-colour yawn" after drinking and eating that stuff - if you survive it?
                                I always liked the term "round-trip meal ticket"

As for drinking denat alcohol and the incumbent unpleasantness, one need only ask Mike Dukakis's wife.

-Mark
                                The curse of having precise measuring tools is being able to actually see how imperfect everything is.

Comment

Working...
                                X