Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evan
    replied
    Here is some info on using ethanol as coolant.

Ethanol Coolant: Ethanol is a form of alcohol that results naturally through the sugar fermentation process and is environmentally friendly. It also happens to be an ideal coolant for high-speed, micro machining because a thinner-than-water viscosity allows the ethanol to quickly cover and cool more surface area on fast-moving micro tooling. The low evaporation point of ethanol makes it an efficient cooling solution and also eliminates the need for disposal and recycling, as well as their associated costs. Plus, ethanol coolants leave no residue on machined parts, which makes costly secondary operations, like de-greasing, obsolete — maximizing throughput, increasing efficiency and reducing labor costs.

Note: Ethanol coolant should only be used for machining of non-ferrous materials and Datron offers an oil coolant option for customers who machine steel-based materials.

Last edited by Evan; 11-10-2007, 04:58 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Evan
    replied
    I always liked the term "round-trip meal ticket"
    The technical term is to "review input".

Leave a comment:

• Wirecutter
    replied
    Originally posted by oldtiffie
    "Techni-colour yawn" after drinking and eating that stuff - if you survive it?
    I always liked the term "round-trip meal ticket"

As for drinking denat alcohol and the incumbent unpleasantness, one need only ask Mike Dukakis's wife.

-Mark

Leave a comment:

• Wirecutter
    replied
    Originally posted by Evan
    Ethyl alcohol is the best and is used for high speed aluminum machining in industry. It has to be ethyl and it has to be 96% anhydrous. It leaves no mess and if that doesn't work then you can drink it. I recommend orange juice as a diluent.

I use the alcohol I can buy at Home Depot. It's called "S-L-X Clean Strip Denatured Alcohol." It works very well for tapping and drilling, and it's fairly clean. I thought it was ethyl, but I can't find it anywhere on the can. When I used in as windshield wiper fluid, it would make my car smell briefly like a drunk's breath.

Since it's denatured, you certainly can't drink it - the can says that it "cannot be made non-poisonous". There are a butt-load of other stern warnings on the can about how dangerous it is. But much to my surprise, it's very nice for use cutting aluminum - at least for 6061 and 7075.

-Mark

Leave a comment:

• Herm Williams
    replied
    I have have good luck using lard, next time you have bacon for breakfast save the grease for the shop, good use for a waste product. Imo it makes a good tapping/cutting lub.
    re

Leave a comment:

• Mad Scientist
    replied
    Try using “Tap Magic Aluminum Cutting Fluid”
    You will never cut aluminum dry again; the difference is like between day and night.
    www.tapmagic.com

And no I am in no way associated with Tapmagic.

Leave a comment:

• oldtiffie
    replied
    Moonshine?

Is this just up-market "moon-shine"?

And you drink it?

While your machining aluminium?

Why not "Brasso"? You can get pissed and polished at the same time.

And if you are hungry? Boot-polish on bread and butter.

How to brighten things up?

Easy.

"Techni-colour yawn" after drinking and eating that stuff - if you survive it?

Leave a comment:

• Evan
    replied

PROCESS OF MANUFACTURE
    Absolute alcohol is an important product required by industry. As per IS Specification it is nearly 100% pure / water free alcohol. Alcohol as manufactured is rectified spirit, which is 94.68% alcohol, and rest is water. It is not possible to remove remaining water from rectified spirit by straight distillation as ethyl alcohol forms a constant boiling mixture with water at this concentration and is known as azeotrope. Therefore, special process for removal of water is required for manufacture of absolute alcohol.
    In order to extract water from alcohol it is necessary to use some dehydrate, which is capable of separating, water from alcohol.
    Simple dehydrate is unslacked lime, Industrial alcohol is taken in a reactor and quick lime is added to that and the mixture is left over night for complete reaction. It is then distilled in fractionating column to get absolute alcohol. Water is retained by quick lime. This process is used for small-scale production of absolute alcohol by batch process.

http://www.ethanolindia.net/molecular_sieves.html

Leave a comment:

• Swarf&Sparks
    replied
    Well, mine comes off the reflux column at about 94%. That's good enough for me. Cut 50/50 with water, bottle it and call it vodka. After that, mix with tomato juice, ice, etc.

Disagree with the lime thing though. Ethanol is so hygroscopic, you cannot get better than 96% without a vacuum still, and as soon as you expose pure ethanol to atmosphere.......

Aint many places on earth with 0% RH

Leave a comment:

• Evan
    replied
    Whatsa matter? Afraid it will become poisonous?

Leave a comment:

• Swarf&Sparks
    replied
    And you're gonna drink it after that????

Leave a comment:

• Evan
    replied
    The remaining 4% water is chemically bound. I believe the standard method to remove that 4% is to filter the ethyl through unslaked lime.

Leave a comment:

• Swarf&Sparks
    replied
    Evan, without a vacuum still, you're only get 96%. Even if you do have a vacuum still, the seond it hits atmosphere, it's gonna absorb 4% unless RH is zero!

Moral is, drink the ethanol, any flavour you like. Use kero for ali!

Leave a comment:

• Evan
    replied
    Ethyl alcohol is the best and is used for high speed aluminum machining in industry. It has to be ethyl and it has to be 96% anhydrous. It leaves no mess and if that doesn't work then you can drink it. I recommend orange juice as a diluent.

Leave a comment:

• Swarf&Sparks
    replied
    pump-up garden or kitchen spray bottle, kero.
    If you're drilling/boring don't spose it matters, but if you're turning, best finish is max speed you can get away with, zero rake tool, and kero.

If you want real flash finish, scotchbrite green

Leave a comment:

Working...
X