Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on selenoids

I think that's what I'm after.

I need a 12V selenoid (?) that has about a 1" throw to actuate a blade angle control pin on my ATV snow plow. As it is now, I have to get off the damn plow to pull the pin, turn the blade by hand and then release the pin into a different hole to lock it.

The old washing machines used to have 120V long throw "selenoids" on them to shift gears and such. Is that what I'm looking for? A selenoid?

Ebay shows nothing but starter selenoids for the most part.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Over here some trucks have very powerful solenoids on the starter motor itself that pull the pinion into engagement.

Would one of these be any good ?

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Thanks John but I think it would be pretty macho for the light duty task at hand. I got the idea to try "actuator" on ebay and that brought back a bunch of what I'm looking for but they sure are pricey. What I need is something like a car trunk lock actuator with maybe 4 or 5 pounds of pull and maybe 1" of throw. I haven't a clue what to ask for.
      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

An electric central locking actuator may do the job for you and they're cheap from any discount auto-parts.

1" is a long throw for a solenoid, and the force is exponential along the stroke. IE, least force when you most need it.
        Just got my head together
        now my body's falling apart

Comment

On re-reading your post, maybe what you need is a wiper motor, with further chain and sprocket reduction (pushbike parts).
          Then you could control the angle from the driving seat. The worm reduction on the wiper motor/box will hold the blade at any angle.

I've used this setup for garage door openers, etc. Plenty of torque at 12 V.

Comment

A door lock solenoid from a car door at the junkyard might work YOD. My SIL is using one to lock up the front axle on his Jeep. Redneck engineering at it's finest.

Nawh, that won't work. I did a re-read too .....

SP
            Last edited by pntrbl; 11-07-2007, 09:46 AM.

Comment

You might cause some confusion there SP.
              The locking actuators are actually a motor with gear reduction to rack and pinion, not a solenoid.

Comment

I tend to sow confusion wherever I go Swarf! LOL! Had to use the edit ....

SP

Comment

No worries bro.
                  Let's just save this man gettin' his feet cold in the snow

Comment

I did a bit of a Google search and found that if you use the words "12V Cylindrical Solenoids" you may find something that will suit your needs.

Here's an example - http://www.alliedelec.com/catalog/pf.asp?FN=1108.pdf

Nev
                    Last edited by NiftyNev; 11-07-2007, 10:09 AM.
                    Nev.

Comment

www.allelectronics.com has good surplus stuff, might find something there, i like them i've had good luck with them

www.solenoidcity.com no personal experience but i'm sure they'll have somehting to fit the bill

www.newark.com if memory serves me correct they have a decent selection.

Good Luck
                      Dave

Comment

I'm with John on this one, Use a Chevy starter solenoid, make a pin with an extended/oversized head that takes the place of the plunger and mount the solonoid directly on the arm.

Reason being that I used to build/install/repair those stupid snow plows, and have found that unless the blade and pin holes are aligned correctly they often require a bit of pressure to pull.

Hated that job, noone wanted to fix their plows untill the night that big snow was in the forecast, then 50 people would show up an hour before it was expected and want it done RIGHT NOW!!!

Ken.

edit: yeah, mean the one that bolts directly to the starter body!

Comment

Originally posted by Swarf&Sparks
                          An electric central locking actuator may do the job for you and they're cheap from any discount auto-parts.

1" is a long throw for a solenoid, and the force is exponential along the stroke. IE, least force when you most need it.
                          I agree, the fall off of force will almost certainly fail the solenoid idea unless it is MASSIVE. A screw linear actuator could provide as much force as you need, and is pretty easy to rig up. You just need to set up microswitches with diodes as limit stops going to a DPDT switch.

Comment

1) buy a larger engine for atv
                            2) buy hydraulic pump and jerry rig to engine
                            3) buy two dual acting cylinders... 1 dinky one and one larger one
                            4) buy hydraulic control box and solenoid
                            5) install dinky cylinder (controlled by solenoid) to pull pin and large cylinder (controlled by manual valve) to move blade

done - a cheap, highly practical and easy solution

Comment

Originally posted by Your Old Dog
                              I think that's what I'm after.

I need a 12V selenoid (?) that has about a 1" throw to actuate a blade angle control pin on my ATV snow plow. As it is now, I have to get off the damn plow to pull the pin, turn the blade by hand and then release the pin into a different hole to lock it.

The old washing machines used to have 120V long throw "selenoids" on them to shift gears and such. Is that what I'm looking for? A selenoid?

Ebay shows nothing but starter selenoids for the most part.
                              Might be too simple but why don't you just use a spring backed plunger with a cable and lever. Pull on the lever it pulls the pin back, swivel the blade, release the lever and the spring forces it back home.
                              Or am I way off base?
                              Life Is Grand

Comment

Working...
                              X