Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here is a pic of an 1890 or so Cinncinati Mill door and hinge

Comment

Doc, You have way too much time on your hands in the winter.

Nice Job.

Comment

Doc,
        Good looking stand - I like it.

To avoid using a lot of bondo in the corners heat them with an OA torch and do a little hammer 'n dolly work to them. You'll be surprised at how easy it will be to shape and how close you can get. Then you won't have to worry about chunks of bondo coming off when you inevitably kick or drop something on the corners.
        Tom

Be careful what you wish for, you might just get it!

Comment

John- 5/8" might be a bit much, but I was kind of thinking 1/4" rod. If the door itself is fairly thin, say 16-18 ga, there'd be plenty of "raised edge" to give it the right look. I've already got a stack of 3/8" rod as well.

I might be able to use 1/8' by 1/2" flatbar too. Wouldn't have the rounded surface, but it'd still look close. Be fairly easy too.

Bguns- That's not bad. Close, but not quite what I had in mind. It'd be cool if I could put the lettering/name on the door in raised letters like that, though... I wonder if I could have the script laser or waterjet cut, then just solder it to the door? Might be more trouble than it's worth, and a vinyl sticker is way cheaper...

IOWOLF- Hardly. I'm heavily strapped for time, actually, and months behind on more than a few projects. But right now, the shop is a wreck, and I HAVE to get it back in order- there's too many paying jobs waiting on things as simple as open workbench space.

I can use this shaper (fortunately the machine itself needs no service or repair) but I also need to get it off my welding table and set in the machine shop, and I'd rather set it up finished, rather than some half-assed "that'll do for now" setup that I'll never get back around to fixing for the rest of the decade.

That grinder stand was the same way- I needed that set up as a finished, ready-to-use tool, not some piece that I had to keep taking down and stuffing back under a bench or pile of trash every time I needed it or needed it back out of the way.

Ausserdog- I'd considered it, but bondo's easier.

The corners are mostly filled in with some wedges and weld, the bondo will be basically just a thick skim coat. Yeah, it'll eventually chip and wear, but that's all right- it's a tool, not an ornament.

Doc.
          Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

Doc Nickel,

Very nice work as usual! How about posting a picture when it's all painted?

Comment

Looks pretty spiffy to me,Doc.BTW,is that a 60's Toronado in the background?
              Hans

Comment

Yeah Doc, looks like a 66 first year Toro.
                What a car!, way ahead of its time.
                Robert
                grumpy old fart
                www.wirewerkes.com

Comment

Hey, Doc! What size Logan lathe do you have? My 10 x 22 gets by with a 50+ year old 1/2 hp motor.

Comment

this was a great project and I hoping with a bump we can maybe get some updated pics from Doc

I hope to follow your design on this - what height did you go with? (my Shaper's an Atlas so they're similar)...I'm not sure whats best working height for them. Did you end up doing a cut out for drawers or shelves...if so was there any need to reinforce the stand around the cut out?

thanks
                    in Toronto Ontario - where are you?

Comment

Sorry, not much progress to report. I got as far as a stack of semifinished pivots, links and bracketry for the motor, jackshaft and tensioner to go inside, and then other projects got in the way.

Then, a few months after all this, I picked up a 16" Stockbridge shaper. It needs some renovation itself, but isn't bad for a century-old lump of iron.

In the intervening year, I've also brought in several additional tools- the Nichols mill, a big 12" pedestal grinder, the Wells bandsaw, etc.- and I've started to consider sacrificing the Lewis to gain some badly-needed room. Earlier this summer, I had to take out 16' of workbench just to make some room- and that's still not enough.

As they say, life is what happens while you're making plans.

Doc.
                      Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

Working...
                      X