Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• End Mill Quality

Hi,

I just won a bunch of end mills in an auction { not Ebay }. They are mostly Niagara (USA) and Sossner (Japan?). What's the quality of these two brands ? I assume they are pretty decent. I have had no issues with them, just curious.

Thanks,
    Kevin

High to very high quality.
    Steve

Comment

Don't know about Sossner, but Niagra(sp?) is top line from what I've seen. At least I've had very good service from the Niagras I've used.
      Russ
      Master Floor Sweeper

Comment

They're both top names for quality. Assuming the end mills you got aren't worn, they ought to serve you well.
        ----------
        Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
        Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
        Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
        There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
        Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
        Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

Hi,

Niagara mills make a most satisfying "snapping" sound when they break. Hey, sometimes one can forget to edit feeds and speeds when re-using a program

Sossner tend to cost more than Niagara.

dalee
          If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.

Comment

Both are excellent quality cutters. One of the things beginners often fail to recognize is that there is a reason a good mill cutter costs a bunch of $$. They usually buy that box of "20 END MILLS TICN!!! $40!!!!" from eBay or ENCO, and wonder why their cuts are ragged and poor quality. A good end mill costs more than $2. The accuracy of the grind, geometry, and sharpness, all combine to make a good cutter fairly expensive.

There's one exception IMO - a cheapo ruffer generally works well since you are leaving some material behind for cleanup, anyhow.

Comment

How did you know I bought the cheapo box first ? I bought A lot of cheap crap to get started and have been looking for good stuff at local auctions.

I bought a box of 200 end mills for $50 at a machine shop auction. They are all razor sharp. Looks like I got a great deal !

Thanks for the info.

~Kevin

Comment

Working...
              X