I need some disc sander advice.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need some disc sander advice.

I've been wanting a bigger disc sander (only have a little hobby 4" one now) in my shop and have now accumulated enough good junk to start putting one together. I have enough 1/2" aluminum plate and larger chunks to make a very solid mount/base, adjustable table and disc & hub. I came across an old (50's - 60's?) Westinghouse 110v 1/4 hp 1725 rpm motor today for free. It says "Type FHT AC Motor 56Z Frame" on the name plate and when I cobbled up a patch cord and plugged it in it sounds smooth as silk and feels plenty powerful.

Anybody have any advice as to what diameter I should make the disc? I want to run it direct drive and would like to choose a size that uses a commonly available (translation: cheap) disc that wouldn't bog down the 1/4 hp motor.

I'm also curious about zirconium oxide discs. Anybody got a line on a good supplier and do they really last a lot longer?

What say you'uns?
    Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

I have a 12" disc sander that's direct drive(no belt losses)that runs a 3600rpm 1hp motor and the power is borderline not enough.

If it were me I would go no less than 1hp and no less than a 12" disc.Direct drive is also nice since you don't need any pulleys etc and they run much smoother as a result.

I also bought a 12" Grizz disc sander for a whopping $140+shipping that's darn hard to beat.

Yes the Zirconia discs last a long time,6 maybe 7xs what AOX does.I just by mine from McMaster Carr,$4.25/disc for US made heavy cloth backed discs with good glue.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Hi,

I'll second Wierdscience, 1hp is barely enough on a 12" disc. I can trip out the heaters on mine. That 1/4hp isn't much better than what you already have.

dalee
      If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.

Comment

since we are on the subject.....

I am kicking around the idea of building my own disc sander as well. I want something in the 16"-20" range. Is there a formula for calculating horsepower to disc size?

Also, whats the best choice of material for the disc, aluminum or steel. What about disc thickness?

I hope you don't mind me stepping in your thread Dickeybird with questions of my own.

Lee

Comment

Thanks for the input guys and no sweat Lee on the big sander question. I'm curious if there's a rule of thumb calc for hp/disc size as well.

I don't have the extra $$ to just go out & buy one right now but I do have the stuff gathered up to build one for nuttin'. I suspect that old American iron 1/4 hp motor has way more than 1/4 the power of a modern Grizzly (Chinese) 1 horsepower motor. My Chinese 4x6 bandsaw has a "1 hp" motor on it and it won't pull the skin off a rice puddin'.

I grabbed the pulley with a rag, plugged it in and tried to stop it by hand and let's just say it feels pretty stout. I'm guessing an 8" disc would be pretty close; maybe even 9" or 10". I'm thinking the slower (1750) rpm motor will need a fairly large disc to work properly. I guess it's all just a crapshoot 'til the metal hits the wheel and the sparks start a'flyin!
          Milton

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Comment

A few years ago I bought one of those combo 4"x36" belt/9" disc sanders at a sale. The motor was clearly "underscoped" and operating the thing always p*ss*d me off.

I finally ripped off the the belt part and now it works very well as a disc- alone sander. Can't tell what HP the motor is but now it takes a determined effort to slow it down.

I also have a 1"x42" belt sander with a 1/4 HP motor that I installed. It needs to be handled carefully to prevent stalling so I would echo what others have said regarding more power. On the other hand those old motors were very conservatively rated so you may be ok.

Regards,

Geoff

Comment

Dickybird, --- I've got an 8" disk off a deceased 1x42 - 8" belt/disk sander that expired rattling around here that youre welcome to, it'll ship on USPS for cheap ---- IIRC it has a 5/8" hole

And, I think youre right about that old motor, I bet it'll handle an 8" easy ----the Chinee motor that was on that sander was 'rated' at 3/4hp but it was pretty wimpy.

Several yrs ago the company that makes those "3 in 1" sorta woodworking machines (Shopmate??) offered a 12" disk to adapt to the motor on it for $25-30 and I built a sander up off a 1hp scrapyard motor .... that thing has got to be one of the more handy tools in the shop! Course this was long before HF offered their 12"er for $99!, I probably spent that much on making that one up.

Anyway, if you want that disk, DickyB,--- send me a PM
              If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something........

Comment

Your expectations may be different than mine- but I have a horse and a half on my 12", and would never go for a smaller motor.

Of course, I also dont use cheap sandpaper- only Klingspor CS411, which is a blue zirconia alumina paper. Its false economy to buy cheap paper, in my opinion- you just tear thru it. A good zirconia, from Norton or Klingspor, will last you months of sanding stainless. We can take a piece of 3/8" round stainless, and feed it into the disc til there is nothing left but your glove smoking.

As for bigger ones- for 16" to 20", the cheap imports start at 2hp, the decent domestics usually run from 3 hp, up thru 5hp for the beefy ones, to a rare 7 1/2hp model or two.

More power is good.

Comment

I have several three phase 16" and several 12" machines the big ones are best.Alistair
                  Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Thanks Bill, PM sent!
                    Milton

Comment

Hey Milton,

I made a disc sander a while back primarily for use with wood but lately has been getting used for metal work too.

I started with a 9" replacement disc for a Sears disc sander - ordered it from their parts department and cost all of $15. I could have made one but for the time and trouble it wasn't worth it. Motor is an old GE 1/2 HP with a 5/8" shaft and the remainder being made of plywood and pine. It has three feet so it sits flat - I used Hocky pucks for the feet (bore a small socket with a Forstener bit and screw on to the wood frame) cheap, solid and works.

cheers, Graham

Comment

Originally posted by DICKEYBIRD
                        Thanks for the input guys and no sweat Lee on the big sander question. I'm curious if there's a rule of thumb calc for hp/disc size as well.

I don't have the extra $$ to just go out & buy one right now but I do have the stuff gathered up to build one for nuttin'. I suspect that old American iron 1/4 hp motor has way more than 1/4 the power of a modern Grizzly (Chinese) 1 horsepower motor. My Chinese 4x6 bandsaw has a "1 hp" motor on it and it won't pull the skin off a rice puddin'.

I grabbed the pulley with a rag, plugged it in and tried to stop it by hand and let's just say it feels pretty stout. I'm guessing an 8" disc would be pretty close; maybe even 9" or 10". I'm thinking the slower (1750) rpm motor will need a fairly large disc to work properly. I guess it's all just a crapshoot 'til the metal hits the wheel and the sparks start a'flyin!
                        Unless that motor was built in the steam era it's nothing special.The 12"Grizz sander I have is a sure enough 1hp,I can radius the end of a 2x4 in seconds,that's a full radius 1-3/4r.The other sander is 1hp3~ and "old arn",it's still close to being weak.

Not arguing,just saying that in this case more IS better.
                        I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

I was all geared up to build a disc sander in the neighborhood of 16-20"s with an old tablesaw I had kicking around the shop. I saw the price of media for a 20" sander though, and that kind of turned me off. I run a little 6" disc/belt sander right now that I use only as a disc sander and zirconia alumina discs are about $1 a piece. I am still going to build something bigger, but no where near the original plan. Maybe a 12" one, I intend to run a 3hp motor on mine. My little one has a 2/3 HP motor, and it is built into the base of the sander. I had to take it apart, because I couldn't believe a 2/3hp motor could fit in there. The motor is a odd frame, but it is a pretty big devil for going into the base.

I have never had trouble with that motor and the 6" disc, however I have an identical sander that I lengthened to take a 4x54" belt and use that for belt sanding only, the motor is seriously under sized for that application.

Later,
                          Jason

Comment

disc motor H.P.

I agree a 1H.P. is a minimum, a 1/4 H.P. would be pretty Wimpy, and Very Slow!!

Ray in N. Ont.

Comment

What thickness are the larger 16-20" disk?
                              Whats the ideal material; steel or aluminum?

Lee

Comment

Working...
                              X