How not to remove a lugnut

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How not to remove a lugnut

SOUTHWORTH, Wash. - A man trying to loosen a stubborn lug nut blasted the wheel with a 12-gauge shotgun, injuring himself badly in both legs, sheriff's deputies said.

The 66-year-old man had been repairing a Lincoln Continental for two weeks at his home northwest of Southworth, about 10 miles southwest of Seattle, and had gotten all but one of the lug nuts off the right rear wheel by Saturday afternoon, Kitsap County Deputy Scott Wilson said.

"He's bound and determined to get that lug nut off," Wilson said.

From about arm's length, the man fired the shotgun at the wheel and was "peppered" in both legs with buckshot and debris, with some injuries as high as his chin, according to a sheriff's office report.

"Nobody else was there and he wasn't intoxicated," Wilson said.

Okay, now somebody please tell me at what point does the thought “Well, the WD-40 isn’t working… so I guess what we really need here is shotgun” flash through a man’s mind? I mean, other than in prison.

Seriously though, what the hell would possess someone to use a shotgun to try to repair a car? And why, oh why, are we rendering medical care to people that are that stupid? In the wild, if a squirrel decided that the best way to open a nut was to crush it between a bear’s jaws he would be summarily eaten and thus his mentally inferior genetics would be skimmed off the gene pool. In ancient Sparta, the unfit were tossed off of a cliff. In America, they’re given a Chilton’s guide, a box of ammo, and Medicaid.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just too funny,sad part is I know people like that
    Last edited by wierdscience; 11-14-2007, 12:36 AM.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

but whut ah's hankerin' t'knows is did he git thet dadburned lug nut off?

Comment

Yes, that made all the papers around here. At last report the shotgun was unharmed.

That's in Forrest's neck of the waterfront, maybe he knows something.

Comment

Well, that shows that all the rednecks aren't here in the South.

He's due for an anger management and common sense course.

Had he taken those courses he would have known to get a 10' length of 1 1/2" pipe, aimed the pipe at the offending lug nut at an angle, stuck the barrel of the shotgun in the pipe and blasted the nut.

Now that's how a smart redneck in the South would do it .
        It's only ink and paper

Comment

he would have known to get a 10' length of 1 1/2" pipe
          I agree, standing way too close.
          "The men the American people admire most extravagantly are the greatest liars; the men they detest most violently are those who try to tell them the truth." H. L. Mencken

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed, and third, it is accepted as self-evident."

"When fear rules, reason and logic are ruled out."

Comment

But the really important question is ---

--- what year is the Lincoln??

Comment

Having owned a 1988 Lincoln Continental, I completely understand why the man shot his car. They should have called those things Edsels. No, wait, the Edsels were better made than my Lincoln. Perhaps Pinto would be more accurate.

Comment

I think I got a pretty good idea where he was coming from. I use a hammer much the same way as he used the shotgun! It seems with me, on just about every project I tackle there is always one screw or bolt that won't go on or off. In my case it's become laughable I have a large collection of hammers!
                - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Bet he got a Bang out of that!! He didn't just go off half shot, he set his sites on an idea, better than a Barrel of monkeys!

Comment

actually I had a Pinto, not a bad little car at all. I had been mad enough at cars before to shoot them, but I don't have a gun.
                    "four to tow, two to go"

Comment

Hi,

It's those kinds of people that disturb my sleep when my pager goes off in the middle of the night.

dalee
                      If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.

Comment

Originally posted by speedsport
                        actually I had a Pinto, not a bad little car at all. I had been mad enough at cars before to shoot them, but I don't have a gun.
                        Paid Inspector Nicely Too Overlook

Seriously, the man went about it the wrong way. He should have gotten out the 3006 and shot the stud from the nut.

Lee

Comment

Perhaps he planned on the ambulance attendants to loosen the nut?
                          Them are big ole boys that work in them ambulances.
                          Excuse me, I farted.

Comment

This demonstrates why I have said that having my computer in my shop in dangerous proximity to hammers and torches is a disaster waiting to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by David E Cofer
                              Perhaps he planned on the ambulance attendants to loosen the nut?
                              Them are big ole boys that work in them ambulances.
                              That ain't true David. They just look big when you're laying flat on your back in some bar room after a brawl
                              - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                              Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Working...
                              X