Lathe dumped

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lathe dumped

My son was trying to get a Clausing 4900 10" lathe unloaded from a pickup alone, using a cherry picker hoist. He got it elevated and instead of pulling the pickup away first he tried pulling the hoist. The roller on one of the legs of the hoist ran up against a small rock which caused the leg to be pulled out of the hoist socket. With only one leg remaining, the hoist tipped over and dumped the Clausing. The leg was only held into it's socket by a setscrew instead of having a pin going all the way through the leg and socket and it didn't hold the leg in.

If you have a hoist designed like this one you might think about drilling a few holes so pins can be used instead of setscrews. Now we are looking for a spindle hand wheel, upper side gear cover and lower side motor door. Expensive mistake......

Originally posted by Duct Taper
    My son was trying to get a Clausing 4900 10" lathe unloaded from a pickup alone, using a cherry picker hoist. He got it elevated and instead of pulling the pickup away first he tried pulling the hoist. The roller on one of the legs of the hoist ran up against a small rock which caused the leg to be pulled out of the hoist socket. With only one leg remaining, the hoist tipped over and dumped the Clausing. The leg was only held into it's socket by a setscrew instead of having a pin going all the way through the leg and socket and it didn't hold the leg in.

If you have a hoist designed like this one you might think about drilling a few holes so pins can be used instead of setscrews. Now we are looking for a spindle hand wheel, upper side gear cover and lower side motor door. Expensive mistake......
    THAT SUX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    my engine hoist is like yours (setscrew). i think i'll put a few holes in the locations i commonly set it at. i hope you can find your parts for a reasonable price.

andy b.
    The danger is not that computers will come to think like men - but that men will come to think like computers. - some guy on another forum not dedicated to machining

Comment

Hope he is ok. Damn shame for sure. I have seen all sorts of stories on this type of thing. I think we even had a post a while back on a small mill that got dumped.

Heard of a fella getting pinned once cause he was by himself. After that I swore that I would never move anything alone again.

Especially because the wife doesnt have enough insuracne on me to support her and the pool boy when I'm gone.

rock-
      Civil engineers build targets, Mechanical engineers build weapons.

Comment

Has the pool boy got any insurance ?

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Nothing a little Duct Tape Cant fix I'm sure.

Comment

"DUCT TAPE " thank god your not a brain surgeon WolfieAlistair
            Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Ever seen the tools surgeons use? I'll bet there's some duct tape in there.

Comment

My cherry picker (engine lift) has the extension legs held in with a bolt that is tightened against the square tube.

If the bolt is tight it will not allow the tube to slide out. I have used mine to lift a complete four cylinder Detroit engine to R&I it and lifted lathes and a mill with it. I have owned and used it since 1984 and never had trouble. I do not move it with heavy loads by myself. It may take three or four people to move it sometimes.

Have you considered the bolt/setscrew was loose. Putting holes for the setscrew to go in will not keep it from tipping. Also, you should never try to move the lift with that much weight by yourself. Any slight swaying of the load can cause it to tip over to the side or tip to the front if the top arm is overextended. Jerking on the lift to move it may cause it to tip over.

I am sorry to hear about the damage to your lathe and glad your son did not get injured.
                It's only ink and paper

Comment

Originally posted by Optics Curmudgeon
                  Ever seen the tools surgeons use? I'll bet there's some duct tape in there.
                  I know Crazy Glue is, Our Marine medics in the 70's were using it.

Comment

Hope the Clausing is OK, the heck with the hoist! When I was working we were having one of the maintenance areas moved. The area lathe, which the millwrights were not allowed to use, was the next thing they had to pick up. The millwright, who no one could tell anything, dumped it off of the forks. When it landed it tore the apron right off of the saddle and cracked the cross slide ways. Guys who were there swear he was smiling when it happened.
                    Forty plus years and I still have ten toes, ten fingers and both eyes. I must be doing something right.

Comment

"I know Crazy Glue is, Our Marine medics in the 70's were using it."

Sometimes stitches take too long.

Comment

Wrong base on the cherry picker

You evidently have the wrong base on that cherry picker, discard the one that came with it and install a chevy 4wd. Mucho better to use outside.

If you really want to impress me.. build a gin pole.

In actual use..

This was not broken in a lift, but I had a hook on the strap off the cherry picker welded to the 14 ga chromed bumper. It has been replaced with something much more substantial.

Just thank god nobody was seriously hurt, machines don't have feelings or bones to heal.. you can buy another, you can't buy life.
                        Excuse me, I farted.

Comment

super glue factoid I read about many many years ago when I was still heavily into guitar playing- The legendary Stevie Ray Vaughn, a blues -Jimi Hendrix style virtuoso guitarist would sometimes practice until his fingers bled. He would seal them up with super glue and keep on a rockin!

Steve

Comment

I got two pickers,one with the setscrews and one with cross pins both are welded solid with the legs at full extension so if someone borrows one they can't do something stupid like have the hook out past the front wheels.

I also make sure and pull the vehicle out from under the load and set a couple legnths of 4x4 under whatever I am moving across the legs and set about 75% of the loads weight down on the legs.At that point it's more of a dolly than a hoist and it's safe to drag push or pull.
                            I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Originally posted by David E Cofer

If you really want to impress me.. build a gin pole.
                              i bet Evan has one of those for the Land Rover.

andy b.
                              The danger is not that computers will come to think like men - but that men will come to think like computers. - some guy on another forum not dedicated to machining

Comment

Working...
                              X