Any EMI-MEC turret lathe experience?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any EMI-MEC turret lathe experience?

A customer wants me to do some troubleshooting on the controls of an EMI-MEC Auto Sprint Series E turret lathe. It is pin-programmed relay logic driving pneumatic controls. Seems that it was running along one day and just stopped at the beginning of a new cycle.

I was able to do some preliminary power supply voltage checks that all show normal before I ran out of time. I have copies of the prints, but haven't started puzzling my way through yet. Anyone with any experience?

These things were made in the UK.
    Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
    ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

?? Accra Tool ??

Is this machine also called an "Accra Tool"? Square board above the headstock with a ton of pin sockets, a handful of indicator lights on the turret, and a drum style wiper switch straight from Satan's workshop?

If so then "No" I've never heard of anything like that

Chandler

Comment

The square board with the pin sockets sounds similar, but I don't remember much about the turret and only find a very simple 6-position rotary switch in the schematic that may be misleading. I only spent about a half hour near the machine a few weeks ago, but will be going back.

Comment

Hey Weston

I’m pretty sure that they’re either related or the same machine. They were an entry level screw machine, had a six-position turret, the cross-slide had a place for a front and rear tool and there was a vertical slide, usually used for cutoff. They used a pneumatic barfeed. All air/oil setup, so EVERYTHING had a flow control. The turret had like 8 flow controls on it, you could set up peck-drilling cycles and everything……… well……. On a perfect day if you held your tongue just right…….. But seriously, pretty cool, simple machines.

The real problems were in the pegboard – which on close inspection you’ll find to be a very crude circuit board, and the drum switch. The early electronics just weren’t up for the awful environment they were exposed to (sulfur based cutting oils). Beyond that, you’ll find a bunch of micro-switches.

I used to work in a screw machine shop where we had three, that was up until about ’94, then I ended up owning them, 1 was for parts, the other 2 ran, they lived in my shop, but I never actually got a chance to run any parts on them, when I moved back to the Midwest in ‘98, my Buddy – who glommed onto anything mechanical, and had plenty of room took them off my hands, they haven’t turned a spindle since. If you know what you need, I could probably find you a spare, I had a lot of spare parts.

If you dig into the one in question, you’ll likely find a few traces on the board that have been wired around – that was a common problem, the board would cycle thermally and eventually break a trace, that might be the problem, that’s actually a simple fix – just hardwire that particular trace. The drum-switch is also a culprit, you’ll usually find them terribly dirty.

I’d be glad to help if I can, this is the best picture I could find on the net – I’m suspicious that most of these machines are now Hondas or Toyotas

http://www.akraturn.com/screwmachining.php

Chandler

Comment

Thanks Chandler, it sounds like we are talking about similar machines. My customer also has a spare machine, for parts.

Comment

Working...
          X