It Doesn't Get More Simple Than This Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It Doesn't Get More Simple Than This Project

This is what I did yesterday for a fun little project in between (non-shop, non-fun) work.

http://www.cartertools.com/150screw.html

Just a simple little screw.

Nick
    Largest resource on the web for Taig lathes and milling machines, www.cartertools.com

Nice , could you imagine the bill to have it made at a job shop?

Comment

That pistol isn't named "Willhema" is it? Was it official Axe issue?
      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Nice. I remember the rear site of that pistol!

Comment

Only someone named Nick Carter, who has been given ratty paperbacks his whole life by people for a laugh on birthdays, would get that joke. Oh, and the pistol is named Wilhelmina. I had to check Wikipedia about that. 261 crappy novels...

Originally posted by Your Old Dog
          That pistol isn't named "Willhema" is it? Was it official Axe issue?
          Largest resource on the web for Taig lathes and milling machines, www.cartertools.com

Comment

Originally posted by tattoomike68
            Nice , could you imagine the bill to have it made at a job shop?
            $65+,,,cheaper than the machine tools for a home shop but not as fun

Comment

BTW, Nick, you comment on bluing. Cold bluing available from places like Brownell's works astonishgly well. You may not want to use it on your new pistol part, but I like it to add contrast and protection for various pieces of tooling I make. For example, on a chuck backplate I made:

http://www.thewarfields.com/cnccookbook/MTLathe6Jaw.htm

Cheers,

BW
              ---------------------------------------------------

http://www.cnccookbook.com/index.htm
              Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:
              http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html

Comment

Of course a guy on one of the airgun forums pointed out I could have bought a replacement screw for around $3.50...but where's the fun in that?

Originally posted by mochinist
                $65+,,,cheaper than the machine tools for a home shop but not as fun

Comment

Yes, I even have some, maybe when the joy of just looking at the screw wears off I'll blue it. Of course the whole pistol needs rebluing...I'm tempted to get one of those blueing pens they sell as well, might be handier for small parts.

When are you going to update your blog? I love reading it.

Originally posted by BobWarfield
                  BTW, Nick, you comment on bluing. Cold bluing available from places like Brownell's works astonishgly well. You may not want to use it on your new pistol part, but I like it to add contrast and protection for various pieces of tooling I make. For example, on a chuck backplate I made:

http://www.thewarfields.com/cnccookbook/MTLathe6Jaw.htm

Cheers,

BW

Comment

Originally posted by Nick Carter
                    Only someone named Nick Carter, who has been given ratty paperbacks his whole life by people for a laugh on birthdays, would get that joke. Oh, and the pistol is named Wilhelmina. I had to check Wikipedia about that. 261 crappy novels...
                    Well, I am a poor reader! The only books to hold my attention are the box of books you have. I read them normally in one sitting. Any other reading I do seems to take me some time to get through ! Hugo would be the stelleto and I forgot the name of the two nuclear bombs we carries somewhere next to his watcha-call-its !!
                    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                    Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

I just blued the screw, it took all of 3 minutes. Looks much better. added a pic of the blued screw and I found the old damaged one (behind the leg of my bench, how did it get there?) and put a pic up of it as well...

Yes, my life is this exciting!

Nick

Comment

Yes, my life is this exciting!

Comment

Nick, nice work!

Sometimes when I need a "custom" screw I make them from existing screws and turn them down. That way I don't have to spend a lot of time making the head, especially if they are Allen, Torx or other.
                          Last edited by Mike Burdick; 11-16-2007, 03:28 PM.

Comment

Yes, I even have some, maybe when the joy of just looking at the screw wears off I'll blue it. Of course the whole pistol needs rebluing...I'm tempted to get one of those blueing pens they sell as well, might be handier for small parts.

When are you going to update your blog? I love reading it.
                            And I love working on it, when I have time!

Right now I'm involved in getting together a new startup. It's been all consuming. Eventually I'll get head above water and I'll get back to it. I look longingly at the tools. I check up every now and again and apply a little oil to make sure everything stays healthy.

I recently gave away a bunch of junk to make room in a garage stall for a full sized lathe. I tell myself when I get the company up and running my reward will be a Mori Seiki. We'll see!

Best,

BW
                            ---------------------------------------------------

http://www.cnccookbook.com/index.htm
                            Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:
                            http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html

Comment

Of course a guy on one of the airgun forums pointed out I could have bought a replacement screw for around $3.50...but where's the fun in that?
                              LOL.. I hear that from machine shop owners (freinds) and folks who dont have any machine shop tools.. Yup, this IS the fun!!! Its great being a HSM... Great write-up too. Thanks Nick, JRouche

Comment

Working...
                              X