Garage sale goodies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garage sale goodies

Some of the last g-sales of the season here so pickins are slim.

But.I got a small Palmgren vise for a Buck,2 railroad Bars for $5, a box of 30 slightly used chainsaw chains ,(he didnt know they could be resharpend) for $20,and a pocket bike similar to David Coffers for $20, The kid couldnt keep it running, Wrong Mix ,I found out.fresh fuel and MC1 synthetic oil,and it runs like a little angry hornet.

But for the price,I could have hung it up for a M/C repair sign.

All in all a good day.

Some people have all the luck.

Comment

I found a G Sale myself but didn't do as well as you and we had a dusting of snow. Damn near spun out of control hitting the binders on the truck! Found a QRP SWR Bridge that I may be able to Ebay for only $2.00. They said I was too late for all the tools
      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Nice find!! Them lil vises are worth some money. The rail is also valuable seeing how the RR companies usually dont sell their rail, its HOT!! Top quality steel in the rails. JRouche
        My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

IO:

Mine is flame painted.. is yours really like mine.. (mine also dont run)... It may become a sign.

I bought two sets of fatbobs today for $69 a set.. whoo hoo more paint work to learn.

Sounds like you did good. (what'd the other post say? ) fer a prick? ha.......... Hang in there
          Excuse me, I farted.

Comment

So, who said anything about rail? any rail sold by railroads is likely to be Bessemer Steel which may well be high in Sulphur or Phosphorus.

Comment

Nice finds IOWOLF. My latest treasure was a coil of music wire I scored for eight bucks. Checked McMaster-Carr when I got home and found out that I actually paid two bucks more than retail. Oh well.

Comment

I think I did pretty well today

1ea L-W Dividing Head
                2ea. Univise for my T&C grinder
                1ea. Bench Center
                2ea. Grinding Steady Rest
                1ea. Motorized collet spiner for T&C Grinder
                3ea Spin Indexer
                1ea. Vibratory Finisher
                1ea. 7x14 Horizontal Bandsaw

$550

Major Tool Gloat - Priceless

Comment

Oh yeah, Miller XMT-304 w/running gear ~$4000new...

$100 off craigslist.

Comment

Originally posted by macona
                    Oh yeah, Miller XMT-304 w/running gear ~$4000new...

$100 off craigslist.
                    That I would have to see for myself.

And JRousch, Who did say anything about Rail? I said R/R bar.
                    So if anything is Hot, It's the welder above. Go pick on him.
                    Besides there is rail all over here at G-sales, auctions There is a place 4 miles from here called The Tie Yard you can get any thing from ties ,to spikes, and a 4' length of RAIL for just above scrap price.

Comment

True story,
                      Some years ago when I was working out a small garage at home with only single phase i used to collect small motors for machines and as spares.
                      If I saw one at a sale I'd buy it.

One day at a steam meeting there was this 1 HP Brookes motor on a stand, no price but going price at that time was about 10 to 12 pounds

So I says to ower Gert, Gert I says, watch me beat this guy down to 5 quid for this motor.

"Now then mate ower much for the old motor ?"

"That motor ? gimmee three quid for it !"

Didn't know whether to be pleased I'd got a bargain or sick I'd been made to look a fool ?

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Along the same lines as Johns post.

I see a shoe box with about 10 butter knives. They looked to be Ivory handled but I didn't want to test them in front of the guy and tip my suspicions.

I walked up to him holding the box with the knives and asked him if he'd take $10 for the box. He gives me an odd look, looks at the box and says yes. I get in the car and hand the box to my wife and told her about how I just got away with some Ivory knife handles for $10.00 but the guy gave me a weird look. She says, "no wonder" and turned the other side of the box that I hadn't seen, it said, "$3.00 4 all"

No the knives weren't Ivory but the imatation plastic so I really took it in the shorts!
                        Last edited by Your Old Dog; 11-17-2007, 09:24 AM.
                        Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

But were they Ivory?

Comment

Originally posted by IOWOLF
                            But were they Ivory?
                            Sorry, I must have edited while you were posting. As noted above in the edit, no.

Does your palmgreen vice have the swivel mount and did you get the mount with it? I have a mount but no vice for a Palmgreen.

Comment

No, its just the lil 2" toolmakers vice, but thanks for the offer.

Comment

Working...
                              X