No announcement yet.

OT: leaking fuel line

  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • OT: leaking fuel line

    My old 1500 GM pickup is leaking fuel. The steel fuel line has rusted through. Is there any reason why I should not run an appropriate fuel hose along the length instead of replacing it with a steel line?

  • #2
    Could be an issue in a crash depending on where it's at, but for an old beater truck that doesn't go far from home I can't see where it'd be a problem. Personally I probably wouldn't, but I have a problem with over engineering everything I touch! LOL! Don't go by me ....

    An alternative. With a small tubing cutter and some compression fittings you could probably replace just the bad section.



    • #3
      I would use some brake line sections. It would probably be cheaper and last longer. Rubber seems to get stiff and crack after a period of time.


      • #4
        Not sure if its really a big deal on an old beater truck as pntrbl put it, but there are standards for how long you can run flexible fuel line. I know in like the IHRA you are only allowed to have a maximum of like 6" of flexible line or something, but car manufactures are also limited. Something like no more than 8" or 12" of flexible line but that is based mostly on hear-say from mechanics so ... i stand to be corrected


        • #5
          metal work hardens or rusts and breaks. Rubber lasts a long time if you use the modern approved for fuel line. My 91 Aerostar still has the same fuel lines it came with and some of them are rubber. What do you think, will the rubber last?

          I promise not to turn you in if you use rubber.
          It's only ink and paper


          • #6
            i just read something interesting on a muscle car forum about hard vs soft lines ...

            apparently the metal lines are preferred because they allow the fuel to cool on its way back to the tank. With rubber lines any fuel that gets passed back to the tank after moving through the fuel rail picks up heat in the fuel rail and can't radiate it through the rubber lines. One member claimed that he had vapor lock with in an hour or so of driving after putting in all soft lines and he had to install a power steering cooler to cool the fuel!


            • #7
              I'd go with rubber knowing what I know now. I had my line replaced and the guy who replaced it loosend up my old Chevy Truck gas tank sending unit causing it to leak. Had they used rubber I might have gotten 2-3 more years out of the old tank. As said before, for an old beater truck it might out last the truck. I'd rather install a power steering cooler if the choice was causing the tank sender (complete tank) to fail.
              - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
              Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

              It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.


              • #8
                Mostly it's a matter of choice. Newer cars use plastic or metal, apparently as budget demands.

                On the vapor lock, most often it's routing or underhood temps that causes the problem, not the material of the line, if it's routed near the exhaust or sitting on radiato/heater hoses you'll have problems regardless of the line material.

                My preference has been to use aluminum or copper line along the frame (use suitable stand-offs) and rubber at both ends. That way you avoid corrosion issues and reduce the chance of failure due to vibration.



                • #9
                  Fuel line replacement

                  The series 2A Landrover (early 60's) used black nylon tubing for fuel line and it worked a treat. It used standard flare fittings and was generally treated like metal tube. Duffy
                  Duffy, Gatineau, Quebec


                  • #10
                    First of all, you don't say how old it is, but if it is fuel injected, and the leak is on the high pressure supply side of the loop, you can repair it with rubber hose, but you have to use hose rated for the fuel pressure. Your local auto parts store sells it as HP fuel hose, or fuel injection fuel hose. It typically costs about 6-8 bucks a foot. It will be much cheaper to buy hard line and replace the bad section.

                    If it is carbed, go ahead and use the cheap rubber hose, it will be fine.

                    As for auto manufacturers being limited to how much soft line, I think that the 8"-12" quoted is rather low, if there truly exists a limit. A fuel injected ford p/u with dual tanks easily has 3 foot of soft line in the fuel system.