Seeking opinions on the Enco 5x6 bandsaw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeking opinions on the Enco 5x6 bandsaw

Lat night I noticed Enco had the 5x6 bandsaw with the UL motor on sale for $199. Does anyone own this saw, is it any better than the other import models?

-Dan
    -Dan S.
    dans-hobbies.com

saw

It's one of the best tools a home shop can have for the price.
    First thing to do is replace the blade with a better one. And the
    base is flimsy .I took plywood and built a box to fit inside the base to stiffen it up. And put a door on box and now store all my saw supplies and tooling for saw inside box. It works great.
    Jim

Comment

saw

It's one of the best tools a home shop can have for the price. First you have to replace the cheap blade that comes with it and then you have to stiffen up the base as it is flimsy. I made a plywood box inside base to beef it up.Then I built a door on box and keep all my saw blades and supplies and saw tooling inside box
      Jim
      Last edited by jimsehr; 11-19-2007, 02:00 PM. Reason: delete

Comment

Those things are one handy tool to have around a home shop...I'd sure hate to have to do without mine.

Theres a dedicated yahoo site for these saws ---they're usually refered to as 4x6, which is more accurate anyway---with some 15-1800 members.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/4x6bandsaw/

From following the yahoo site and other forums, there doesnt really seem to be much difference in the brands of them .... theres an awful lot of the guys take advantage of Harbor frts --almost always on sale-- version at around $160, ---and youll have to pay frt on the ENCO one and that'll probably be hefty.

They can sometimes be a bit troublesome getting setup to cut true,-- this is another reason to go with HF as they will take it back/exchange it with no questions and without the hassle of shipping. But the percentage of problems seems to be relatively low considering the number of these things sold, besides, its worth a little tinkering to get one of em going.

And, as already mentioned, replace the blade (SOON!) with a good bi-metal blade ---now, this is where ENCO comes in, they have good blades at good prices
        If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something........

Comment

Can't say anything about that saw, specifically, but I agree that one of those small bandsaws is an incredibly handy thing to have. Whatever brand you get, it will almost certainly require some tweaking, as the other guys have said. View it as a semi-finished kit of parts and you'll be happy; even viewed in that light, I think they're a good deal.
          ----------
          Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
          Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
          Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
          There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
          Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
          Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

After sawing through a 2” diameter chunk of 4140 with a hack saw last week, I have definitely learned the advantage of a bandsaw.

The local Menards carries the Jet version that I am sure will go on sail in a month or so, I was just wandering if the UL motor was worth the extra cost of ordering from Enco.
            -Dan S.
            dans-hobbies.com

Comment

I think I'd buy locally and save the hassle and expense of shipping. I don't think the motor is a huge selling point. The motor on my no-name 4x6 is pretty flimsy...but it's worked fine for about 20 years.
              ----------
              Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
              Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
              Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
              There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
              Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
              Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

I've had the Jet that Menards sells for about a year, have used it quite a bit. Stuck a good blade on it after the original broke and no problems since.
                "The men the American people admire most extravagantly are the greatest liars; the men they detest most violently are those who try to tell them the truth." H. L. Mencken

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed, second it is violently opposed, and third, it is accepted as self-evident."

"When fear rules, reason and logic are ruled out."

Comment

I have the newer red version from HF and have been very happy with it. As a matter of fact I just sawed a bunch of cast iron and aluminum with it over the weeknd without a problem.

Comment

I don't have an Enco, but my HF looks the same. My motor runs a bit hot, but hasn't failed in 5 years. The legs on mine were rahter flimsy, so I threw them out.

I built a 21"x33" rack about 3' tall. 5 shelves for stock. The top is a watertight tray, with the bandsaw bolted on. I run with flood coolant.

It took about 30 minutes to set the guides true, and now it cuts square as long as the blade is good.

I've never used it in the verticle position, but it's a fine horizontal bandsaw. I would buy another one, if somebody stole this one. (Fat chance, that rack is full of stock, and weighs more than my milling machine.)

Comment

i havent got any opnions my self but iam converting my 12 inch delta bandsaw with a custom made blade that will hadel everything from aluim to stainless steel, having the advantage of full vertical i hope i gothe vertical part right anyhow use i can also use a thiner blade the same and do some scroll cutting as well.

Comment

FWIW I got the ENCO about 5yrs ago and there will be no way to tell if
                        it will be similar to the current ENCO or not. The motor was a US made
                        Marathon and it also warms up a bit when run. Not too hot to touch
                        though. The blade guides, at that time were CI, where a friends HF
                        equivalent were cast aluminum. Other than that they were pretty
                        close. We both checked the gear boxes but neither machine had any
                        obvious crap or debris in the oil. I have used mine to cut a piece of RR
                        track in half, had to flip it over mid way. The OEM blade took 45min
                        to go half way through, top down and then broke. Morse replacement
                        took 20min to cut through the bottom and half way up the web.
                        First, get a good US made blade (make sure it is no thicker than 0.028"
                        or it will be too stiff to make the small diameter pulley curves) and
                        then beef up the legs and put better wheels on the axles.
                        Steve

Comment

MechanicalMagic,
                          Can you post a photo of your stand. That's one of the things I've wanted to do to mine but never put any thought into it.

I'll just echo what others have said. They are pretty much all the same what ever name is on it. Find the cheapest on sale that is local. Spend the shipping money on good blades.

Lee

Comment

"The motor is pretty flimsy but has worked well for 20 years", had to laugh at that one.
                            "four to tow, two to go"

Comment

Unfortunately the 1/3 hp motor on my Jet burned up. Replaced it with a ¾ hp and have been running strong ever since.

Been meaning to ask what is the proper TPI. for cutting heavy aluminum stock. Right now I am using 10 TPI for cutting 4” al. round stock. On the harder steels, I get a straighter cut using the 18 TPI. But if I try using that cutting Al. it takes all day and the fine dust clogs up every thing.

But yes, the saw started cutting straight once I started buying Moorse blades, and that means less work on the mill to square off a work piece.

Comment

Working...
                              X