Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Die filer video

First I've seen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpTZyx5Whig

Short but informative. It would be interesting to see more vids of operations on machines that were once common place.

Bring your Video Camera and come to my shop, watch me work every day.

Comment

Thanks for the damn post. You just drove up the price of die filers on ebay for me. I been looking for one
      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Die Filer speed

Thanks for posting the video. My die filer runs much faster than that - about 600 rpm, I would say - and vibrates so much it is useless. Is it just running too fast? Does anyone know what the correct range of speeds is?

My unit is a Keller 1A with a 1/4 hp 1725 rpm motor (non-original). The driven pulley is original and just fits inside the belt guard. The driving pulley can't be made much smaller. The ratio is about 3:1. The unit in the video seems to be running about 150 rpm. To get that speed, I would need a motor running at about 750 rpm - not a common item. Suggestions?

My unit is also missing its overarm. Anyone know where I could get sufficient information to build one?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Your Old Dog
          Thanks for the damn post. You just drove up the price of die filers on ebay for me. I been looking for one
          I like that he put the video up - but I might be a little biased in that I am probably going to put my completely redone but now spare die filer up on ebay .

Charles

Comment

Originally posted by alsinaj
            Thanks for posting the video. My die filer runs much faster than that - about 600 rpm, I would say - and vibrates so much it is useless. Is it just running too fast? Does anyone know what the correct range of speeds is?

My unit is a Keller 1A with a 1/4 hp 1725 rpm motor (non-original). The driven pulley is original and just fits inside the belt guard. The driving pulley can't be made much smaller. The ratio is about 3:1. The unit in the video seems to be running about 150 rpm. To get that speed, I would need a motor running at about 750 rpm - not a common item. Suggestions?

My unit is also missing its overarm. Anyone know where I could get sufficient information to build one?

Thanks.
            600 stokes per minute does sound a bit fast. One cheap and easy solution to slow it down would be to put a dc treadmill type motor on it for variable speed. You could use your pulley dimensions and slow the motor down until you get a spm that you are satisfied with. Hope this helps.
            Jonathan P.

Comment

Originally posted by alsinaj

Thanks.
              Who about this two speed motor on ebay for cheap?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=130175142017

Not quite 800 RPM but definitely slower. Charles

Comment

Thanks for reminding me that I have a homebuilt that I never finished.

Even worse is the memory of the floor model die filer I missed on ebay because my ISP took a dump 20 minutes before it ended

On the bright side I did find this niffty corprate PR video
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wy8i...eature=related
                I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Dang Wierd... That Pakistani narrating the video is the same guy who answers the phone at my credit card company customer service line.. LOL JRouche
                  My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

this must be one of those tools that you can only appreciate once you've had one?? as I've yet to file a die, i just don't get it. I use files all the time, to remove machining marks, clean up a weld, get something flat, on rougher fabrications to clean up an edge after sawing or even torching - non of which a die filer would be much help with. I can see it for squaring up an internal corner, but for the infrequency of that doing it by hand seems ok

so what am i missing? and where the heck do you buy the die files - no taper, straight tang and teeth cut toward the tang...can't remember ever seeing them in a catalogue.
                    Last edited by Mcgyver; 11-22-2007, 09:09 PM.

Comment

Keller still makes Die filers and sells the overarms seperatly. Mine came without them as well. They ain't cheap!

Comment

removed since Mcgyver edited his post.
                        Last edited by J. Randall; 11-23-2007, 12:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by crrmeyer
                          I like that he put the video up - but I might be a little biased in that I am probably going to put my completely redone but now spare die filer up on ebay .

Charles

You putting it up before or after Christmas? You'd likely do better after the holidays. (I know I could afford it better then!)
                          - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                          Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Working...
                          X