Gear cutting video's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gear cutting video's

Finally got round to putting some pics up on YouTube of gear cutting on the X3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fps0OR1eF_s

Search from this link.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

John, that is too cool! I took me a bit to notice that you where cutting a helix also. Did you make the cutter? Reminds me...I have to get my CNC rotab up and running again once I get my equipment moved into it's permanent home.
    Thanks for the vid!
    Russ
    I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

John,

It looks like you're cutting 45 degree grooves instead of involute teeth.
      Is this just a dry run for using a involute gear cutter?

Robert
      "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Geez...I thought I saw an involute shape on that cutter. That's why i asked about the cutter.
        I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

I'm a long way from being ready for an X3 but there's a place staked out in the shop for someday! Yeah. We gotta have one of those ....

What was with the back and forth action as the cutter was on it's way into the material?

SP

Comment

Very good, thanks JIM
            jim

Comment

Originally posted by lazlo
              John,

It looks like you're cutting 45 degree grooves instead of involute teeth.
              Is this just a dry run for using a involute gear cutter?

Robert
              What good eyes you have Grandmama
              Actually it's 40 degrees.........

The cutter is just a 20 degree PA rack cutter that was ground up for cutting a long rack for a job.

These files were just to test the code out and not to make a perfect gear so final shape didn't worry me, I have since ground some true involute cutters up but they haven't cut any gears as yet.

SP,
              The back and forth action is the fact the machine was on it's transport stand with castors on it's way to a show and was bobbing about a bit as this moves at about 120 in / min in rapids.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Originally posted by John Stevenson
                These files were just to test the code out and not to make a perfect gear so final shape didn't worry me, I have since ground some true involute cutters up but they haven't cut any gears as yet.
                That's pretty slick John -- so you ground a 3-dimensional involute milling cutter?
                Did you use the Unwin 2-disc method, and rotate it 360 degrees as you ground it?

Pictures, pretty please?
                "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Other video's

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCuf6RqM7e0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkzqwIjjBhs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELCU52OnGbg

Comment

Nice vidoes John,
                    I have been asleep at the wheel for a while. Tell us more about your X3. I am looking to move up from my Sherline servo CNC to something that is has a real spindle and a repeatability. (no more threaded rod leadscrew) The Tormach looks nice but it so big I might as well get a HAAS. I am more interested in using than building a machine.
                    Thanks
                    Dave

Comment

Thanks for sharing the videos, I wouldn't have guessed John5tevenson on YouTube was you!

Originally posted by John Stevenson
                      SP,
                      The back and forth action is the fact the machine was on it's transport stand with castors on it's way to a show and was bobbing about a bit as this moves at about 120 in / min in rapids.
                      At first I thought this was a flimsy camera tripod. Do you have some beefy steppers or servos? Did you upgrade to ballscrews?

Great work to see, keep it coming!

Comment

Originally posted by Ryobiguy
                        Thanks for sharing the videos, I wouldn't have guessed John5tevenson on YouTube was you!
                        yeah I thought it was gonna be in the nude. I was afraid to look !

Thanks for the post John. Sure looks like fun.
                        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                        Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Great stuff! The last one looks like a 16mm film movie!

Comment

Nice videos,but I thought I had gone deaf Just doesn't seem normal.
                            I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

fraid to show your face John we know you are a crumpet magnet so don't worry nice video's excellent work as usual regardsAlistair
                              Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Working...
                              X