OT: Need some advice on software vender

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Need some advice on software vender

I purchased a full copy of Adobe Photoshop CS2 from a guy in Humble Texas off of eBay. The software came shipped from China even though the ad said item location was Humble Texas?

The program comes with an instructional cd that loads fine but the actual program just spins in the drive of two different computers. I told him it wouldn't work and he said they'd send me another copy but first want me to try something. He asked the following"

We are sending anothe cd. However can you try one thing for me. Put the cd in a driver that is not re-writable capable as computer will not read it . thanks let me know if it helps.
    Does this really make sense? It's not computing with me and I'm not really sure why I should mess with my machines when all my other software loads without incident?
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Came from China, eh? I somehow don't think Photoshop ships from China.

I bet $1 that it is a counterfeit copy.

That sort of thing torques me off. I'd reverse the credit card charge and call Adobe.

Comment

Some people don't have any ethics, and it's shameful to see what they do.
      If you steal software and make illegal copies, you're not supposed to charge for it.

Comment

Well with the anti-piracy thing of having to register on line to make the software work I thought I was buying the real thing. Had the ad said item location China I would never have never bought it. Even if the copy he sends me boots up, I still have to go thru the on line registration process. If it fails I simply give it to an acquaintance of mine in the local FBI office and let him deal with it. I may be out the money but will have the satisfaction I get from knowing I put this sucker thru hell. Adobe is famous for suing people for this kind of stuff.

The packaging all looked legit but I did notice the lack of those funny looking 3d stickers I've gotten used to seeing on this kind of stuff over the years. But, I don't know if those stickers exist on product sent overseas.
        Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

If you paid by credit card you can reverse the charge as it is fraudulent. You shouldn't come up short on this. If you paid my check or money order you're stuck.

Comment

I paid by PayPal. I don't want to do anything drastic till I find out if Adobe will accept the product as their own. They designed the safeguards and should know what to look for. He may be as legitmate as most ebayers.

What I really need to know is, is what he asked me to do in the reply make any sense to anyone? I don't know what all that means.

We are sending anothe cd. However can you try one thing for me. Put the cd in a driver that is not re-writable capable as computer will not read it . thanks let me know if it helps.
            Last edited by Your Old Dog; 11-25-2007, 03:15 PM.

Comment

It doesn't make sense to me, unless your drive is really old and has trouble reading some disks. This was more common a long time ago, particularly when you'd burn a CD on your brand new top of the line x2 drive only to find out that your friends drive couldn't read the disk.

Does the CD look like a burned one, or does it look more shiny like a normal mass-produced one? I don't think any legit Adobe product is going to have trouble being read, unless China uses different CD drives than we do.

I give it a 0.0001 percent change of it being legit.

Comment

First person I have ever heard of that actually bought photoshop, that has to be one of the most pirated programs out there.

Comment

Ryobiguy, my machine is only about a 1 1/2 years old. I have no clue what he is asking me to do.

I compared the tutorial disk and program disks back and they seem to have the same colors in them like they have been written to. These both look like legit copies but then again, counterfiet money ain't done with crayons either. These could be good fakes I suppose. But then Adobe registration would kick it back if and when I can get to that point.

How can I go about trying to comply with his request of me? I didn't even think they made drives that woudn't re-write anymore?

Comment

mochinist, ever company I have worked at in the last 12 years has been totally legit on all software, include photoshop ;-)

If photoshop is too spendy, try The Gimp. Free and powerful. I use it all the time for my day-to-day image hacking needs.

It isn't easy to use, but neither is Photoshop.

Comment

Originally posted by tony ennis
                      mochinist, ever company I have worked at in the last 12 years has been totally legit on all software, include photoshop ;-)

If photoshop is too spendy, try The Gimp. Free and powerful. I use it all the time for my day-to-day image hacking needs.

It isn't easy to use, but neither is Photoshop.
                      No doubt, but notice I said person not companies. I really have no need for either, but I have the gimp on my linux machine.

Comment

Anybody know if this is a realistic request this guy is making of me and if so, how do I go about doing it?

Comment

Originally posted by Your Old Dog
                          Anybody know if this is a realistic request this guy is making of me and if so, how do I go about doing it?
                          Back in the early days of CD burners, it wasn't uncommon to find that a CD you had burned on your machine would read OK in your CD burner but not in someone else's burner. It would, however read OK in a "read only" CD drive. They haven't made those in years, although you might find one on ebay for a couple of bucks.

My guess is that what he is selling are illegal copies of a Corporate Licensed version of Photoshop. When a company buys a software product with the intention of installing it on dozens (or hundreds) of computers, they pay for a license key which will activate the product without contacting the manufacturer the way a retail copy does. The manufacturer trusts the corporation's IT department to safeguard the license key.

Comment

What he is asking is to put it in a CD reader that can't make a CD. It would be hard to find a 'puter with just a CD reader. Just tell him you don't have a read only CD player in your 'puter and to send you a good disc. Do not mail the copy you have to him untill you get another CD. You may want to take the CD to your friend and have him check it out in the mean time.

Everything you are telling makes me real suspicious, but then I am paranoid about things.
                            It's only ink and paper

Comment

Hi
                              Originally posted by Your Old Dog
                              Yes, what he is requesting *IS* quite feasible. the reading mechanism of an "ordinary" cd reader is different (slightly) to that of a RW drive. It is also quite likely that if you have the ability to do this that the cd wil be read.

However this DOES NOT preclude the vendor from having to supply another CD, it is only a temprary measure to allow you to read the CD *now* while waiting for a valid(?) CD.

Many companies DO supply their CHINESE manufactured software through the *normal* retail channels. It is just as likely to be a real version as it is a fake.

Based on the fact that the cd cannot be easily read, I would assume the software to be fake.

As you probably already know, China does not recognise any copyright laws, hence the reason why there are sooo many illegal copies of *anything* that are made in China.

FYI. If you have a cd that cannot be read, they can sometimes be recovered by polishing them with metal polish like "brasso" or similar. I have recovered a few scratched cds this way, including one that looked perfect, but (like yours) would/could not be read in my RW drive.
                              Kind regards

Peter

Comment

Working...
                              X