Grizzly 10X22 Lathe - No Collet Closer Available

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grizzly 10X22 Lathe - No Collet Closer Available

Folks I was looking at the Grizzly G0602 10X22 lathe which has a 1" spindle bore. I wanted to use 5C collets with it but they do not offer a 5C collet closer nor does Royal Products. What, if any, are my options in regards to using 5C collets on this Lathe?

http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-x...al-Lathe/G0602

Paul

I believe 5C requires at least a 1 3/8" spindle bore to fit, so "native" 5C is probably out.

You could perhaps make/buy a 5C collet chuck to go on the spindle nose. See http://www.workholding.com/BISON-SUP...ADJUSTMENT.htm

Metal Lathe Accessories has a casting kit to build one: http://www.statecollegecentral.com/m...the/MLA21.html
    ----------
    Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
    Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
    There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
    Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

If the bore in 1" and the 5C collet diameter is 1.25" you'd need to build out a new nose on your spindle. That doesn't sound like a compatible machine for what you're after.

Comment

It doesnt have a taper in it from the factory? Perhaps a MT3 or MT4. My HF 3 in 1 has a MT 4 taper with a 1 inch hole. I got a set of MT4 collets cheap off e-bay .

Comment

Originally posted by ahidley
          It doesnt have a taper in it from the factory? Perhaps a MT3 or MT4. My HF 3 in 1 has a MT 4 taper with a 1 inch hole. I got a set of MT4 collets cheap off e-bay .
          What does that leave you for hole size when turning long stock? This is a factor when I get ready to replace my little 3 in 1. Mine's an MT#3 taper so not a candidate for this solution but still a nice little (challenging) lathe.

Comment

You could use 3C or 4C collets. 3C will be more abundant. Guessing the headstock must have a MT4 taper in it so you will have to find or make an adapter. Then make a drawbar.

Comment

If you don't already have the 5C collets, have you considered setting up for ER? Fairly simple to make the adapter and you don't need a drawbar.
              "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

Thanks everyone for the great responses. I was told by another machinist that since the lathe had a 1" spindle bore I should use the 5C collets. I don't have enough knowledge about any size collets to know what will or will not work. The lathe has a #4 MT in the headstock spindle so what setup would be the easist for me to get into assuming I go ahead and buy this lathe.

Thanks everyone for the help, I really appreciate it.

Paul

Originally posted by TGTool
                If you don't already have the 5C collets, have you considered setting up for ER? Fairly simple to make the adapter and you don't need a drawbar.

Comment

Bill prescisely what would be required to be able to use ER collets. I am not a machinist, just an old man who is trying to get into the hobby and is having to learn everything from any source I can get it.

Thanks,

Paul

Originally posted by TGTool

Comment

I would think you would be happy with a Bison 5C collet chuck. I like mine and even tho my spindle is 1 3/8" I don't think any 5C collet over 1" lets the stock go tho anyway. (at least mine doesn't) I have the Grizzly G4003 with the D1-4 camlock spindle (mt5 bore)

www.littlemachineshop.com has a 5C collet chuck and backplates, I bought mine from KBC a few years ago.
                    Paul in NE Ohio

Comment

The only way to get 5C collets to be fitted with a through adaptor that allows the full size stock allowed to pass through the spindle on the 10x22 mentioned is to make a completely new spindle IMO. The Grizzly pdf of the parts amnual lists the front and rear bearing as being 45x75x20mm. That makes it a 209/6209 or possibly a 7209 in it is an angular contact.

http://www.grizzly.com/images/partslists/g0602_pl.pdf

To go with a larger ID bearing which would be needed as the 45mm bore is 1.7716" this would leave a wall too thin especially as the spindle looks to have the center section cut down for clearance. Going with a 100/6100/7100 series bearing might be problematic as there might not be a size that would fir the bores. A better option might be to source a Tapered Roller Bearing. There should be a cup and cone combination that should fit the bore that would have a large enough ID to allow the internal bore. This is one thing a have a hard time figuring out why the lathe manufactures in the Far East haven't built a small hobbiest lathe that has an internal 5C Collet set-up built right in. I'm looking at doing this very thing myself on my lathe (PM1027)as I have to admit I really don't like the idea of the amount of overhang from the front bearing that the 5C Collet chucks present.

Having checked on bearing sizes (man I miss the manuals I left behind when I retired) the bearings are 100 series bearings. To go with larger ID bearing one would need to go with ultra light bearings. Not cheap.
                      Forty plus years and I still have ten toes, ten fingers and both eyes. I must be doing something right.

Comment

Working...
                      X