OT How to Search Craigslist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT How to Search Craigslist

I would like to search either the whole state of Ohio, or possibly the entire U.S for some items. Does anyone know how I might do this? Right now, all I can do is go to each city in Ohio that shows a "Craigslist" and search that particular database.

I remember having the same need a few months back and sent an inquiry to Craig's list. I never received a response.

Comment

I use google:

metal working site:seattle.craigslist.org

There are a number of alternate sites that include Seattle, and of course the search pattern should suit the needs of what you are looking for:

atlas shaper site:atlanta.craigslist.org

Or open it up: machinery metal mill lathe leblonde ohio site:craigslist.org

This list provides detail about US cities:
      http://geo.craigslist.org/iso/us
      Last edited by dp; 11-28-2007, 06:56 PM.

Comment

http://crazedlist.org/index.cgi

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Caudill
          I would like to search either the whole state of Ohio, or possibly the entire U.S for some items. Does anyone know how I might do this? Right now, all I can do is go to each city in Ohio that shows a "Craigslist" and search that particular database.
          That's the way it works. And why it works so well.

A state wide listing of everything would cause a giant plug up. Best to keep it local.

And simple.
          Gene

Comment

Originally posted by rustamd
            Looks like Craigslist has put a disgronificator on this front end. All I get are multiple instances of craigslist.org front pages but never any results. I do like the disclaimer at the bottom of the page, though.

Comment

craigshelper.com is one I use. You must use Firefox though to use it. IE and Safari will not work with it. Craigslist looks at the referring site and will stop external searches.

Craigslist wants their site to be a community site and not national. Thats why there is no provision for searching outside the local CL.

Comment

I have been looking for a BMW M3, I go to google and type is "Craigslist BMW M3", and get hits from all over the USA
                "four to tow, two to go"

Comment

I've copied a posting I made from another thread to paste into this one, outlining methods to use Craigslist.

The answer to your question about searching for all listings in Ohio, use www.craigshelper.com (see below).

Bob J

>>> Pasted from another posting <<<
                  Craigslist is great, seller / buyer direct, with no fees. But, for some screwy reason craigslist is designed as a local-only classified ad service. But, here's how I've purchased a number of items from all over the country.

You can quickly search Craigslist in all locations: in Google simply enter (as an example searching for Starrett tools) "craigslist starrett" or say "craigslist micrometer starrett"

This will give you a long list of Craiglist listings containing "starrett". Sort through these and see if you find what you want, or narrow the search. I just used this search and there are a bunch of starrett tools available. You can identify the location of the seller by reading the listing reference. You'll be surprised the amount of stuff you'll find.

You can also use a web Craigslist search engine called www.craigshelper.com This works great, and can offer a national or regional search. There may be other craigslist search engines out there. I think craigslist has actually tried to defeat the national searches to protect their mission as a local-only advertising system.

Here's another trick - Because the owner of Craigslist (a guy named Craig I guess) goes out of its way to not encourage out of area sales (see the cautionary banner on the listing), many Craig listers won't reply to out of town emails. So, look for listings that have phone numbers and call them. I've done this on a number of items and found that sellers are willing to take payment by PayPal or certified check.

Oh, ya, one other tip: try misspelling things, i.e. Starett, or Starret - that will ofter bring up really obscure items that others might not see.

Bob J.
                  Bob J

Comment

Ebay owns Craigslist, go figger!
                    "four to tow, two to go"

Comment

Originally posted by speedsport
                      I have been looking for a BMW M3, I go to google and type is "Craigslist BMW M3", and get hits from all over the USA

This can help: Google bmw m3 site:seattle.craigslist.org

Replace Seattle with a craigslist city near you.

dp

Comment

notice link where it says seing "seing homepages.. something...."
                        Last edited by rustamd; 11-28-2007, 11:07 PM.

Comment

Im gonna hijack a little, hopefully Evan or another firefox wiz can help, it is craigslist related. When I look on craigslist with my work computer, the listings change color after I view them, it makes it real easy to see which ones you viewed when you have looked thrrough the page. At home it doesn't do that and that is where I get to do most of my looking. I am not even sure which setting to look for to change this. For an example I was able to get a screenshot with internet explorer which it does it with on the home computer.

No I dont want a tony stewart mig welder, I was just clicking those for example

Comment

Originally posted by mochinist
                            Im gonna hijack a little, hopefully Evan or another firefox wiz can help, it is craigslist related. When I look on craigslist with my work computer, the listings change color after I view them, it makes it real easy to see which ones you viewed when you have looked thrrough the page. At home it doesn't do that and that is where I get to do most of my looking. I am not even sure which setting to look for to change this. For an example I was able to get a screenshot with internet explorer which it does it with on the home computer.

No I dont want a tony stewart mig welder, I was just clicking those for example
                            I think you need to got Control Panel>Internet Options>Colors

Comment

Craigslist is not owned by ebay. They do have 25% of the stock that they bought from a former CL employee.'

Ebay does own Kijiji which is kind of a competitor to CL. But it is not nearly as popular though they do allow you to list things like pets/animals the CL does not.

Comment

Working...
                              X