Big fan repair and handwheel pics..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big fan repair and handwheel pics..

Hey guys! Here's the big fan (42" dia) that I had to make a centerplate for last night. Had to drill the eight hole bolt circle that I asked about last night also. I was bound and determinded to use the bolt circle function on my SS Dro. A couple tips last night helped out. The disc was too big for my mill so I hadd to do half..spin it and do the other half. I love that DRO! The bolt circle worked out perfectly(thanks for the help)...well I haven't used it in awhile and had to relearn the operation.
    This is a pretty big ol' fan..weighs about 180 pounds. The center was all cracked and took the gurl all morning to tig it all back together...lined up the new backplate, stitched it on and it's almost done. Still needs a couple of plug welds.

Here's the 2 foot diameter handwheel I made for the golf ball esculator. It's sorta supposed to be like the brake set handwheel on a railcar to match his railway theme. Spin the wheel and the ball scoopers come around, hoist the golf ball up(12 feet) into the replica train...dumps it out and into a chute.

Russ
    I have tools I don't even know I own...

Looks good,how did you bend the hoop for the handwheel?Got a Buffalo roller hiding up there?

That fan reminds me of a exhaust fan I built for a sand kiln.36" diameter 12" wide six bladed impellar.The impellar was welded up out of 3/8 and 1/2 plate and then balanced.It ran on 2-1/2" pillow blocks driven with a 7-1/2hp motor.

Anyways it was running and working fine until one morning they cranked it up and it made a horrible sound and a large orange tomcat came flying out the outlet.Sucker got in there because it was warm and slept there overnight.He got caught between the impellar and housing and actually bent the 2" shaft about 1/16".I had to make a new shaft,but amazingly the stupid cat survived none the worse.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Darin...cats are pretty tough as long as you don't run over them with a truck.
      I made the ring from 5/8" hotroll. Used the old ring roller I made some years ago

Comment

Russ

Are the lower rollers of your ring roller on bushings or bearings? Looks like each roller is on a pair of 5/8" id x 1" OD ball bearings?

Cam
        Design to 0.0001", measure to 1/32", cut with an axe, grind to fit

Comment

That is one huge freaking fan, good job!

I would love to see much more about the details of the ring roller. Do you have any pics of it going together, or perhaps an old thread? I would love to build one!

Later,
          Jason

Comment

Cam..yup they're sealed bearings. You got the id right but the OD is bigger than that. Can't remember right now what size.
            Jason...I could take some pics of it when I get new batteries for my camera.
            There never where any plans for this. This was also the last thing I made like this before I had a mill. Everything was cut out, ground, filed and fitted by hand. I only had a SB9 and a drill press then. My lowly mill/drill makes these projects about 1000% easier.
            Russ

Comment

Yes, I would like to see more pictures. Specifically of the back. Are all of the rollers driven, or just the single top roller. I guess I don't necessarily need more pictures, just more description!

Thanks,
              Jason

Comment

Working...
              X