• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gov. Model maker job in MD

Follow this link:
    http://jobsearch.usajobs.opm.gov/get...&TabNum=1&rc=3

or goto www.usajobs.gov and do a series search for 4714
    When I get Time... I'll...

If I lived there I'd jump on that like **** on a stick.
    It's only ink and paper

Comment

Model Making Job

Can one afford to live in that (Maryland) area on that salary (55K)?

Not being snooty but my perception is of a VERY high cost of living there.

Errol Groff
      Errol Groff

New England Model Engineering Society
      http://neme-s.org/

YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/GroffErrol?feature=mhee

Comment

Originally posted by Errol Groff
        Can one afford to live in that (Maryland) area on that salary (55K)?

Not being snooty but my perception is of a VERY high cost of living there.

Errol Groff

You are correct, it is expensive but if you get a one bedroom apartment with 5 of your friends you'd be fine.
        *grin*
        Typical government pay for the area: low!

regards,
        TheLiz

Comment

50K to start isn't bad...Despite MD's taxes. And, the tax hike we're going to get this year. Seems our liberal governor thinks we don't pay anywhere near enough.

I make about 50k right now as a machinist in the Federal Government. A modelmaker is basically a glorified machinist. So, naturally, I applied for the job. We'll see what happens. My grade might be too low to even be considered for the position due to all the blue collar types getting downgraded here at Fort Detrick. I started as a grade 11 machinist, but am now a grade 8 maintenance worker. None of the management types took a pay cut....

In reality, it would be a 5 grade jump for me because I'm being paid on the DC payscale now and Annapolis is on the Baltimore scale.

Andy Pullen
          Clausing 10x24, Sheldon 12" shaper, Clausing 8520 mill, Diacro 24" shear, Reed Prentice 14" x 34"

Comment

Knowing the gov. I am sure it is not a hard job. You wouldn't have to live in the most expensive area's.

It may even be a fun job. You don't know untill you interview. Model makers aren't pushed hard for output so what the heck.

I hope you get it Andy and if it turns out to be a nice job that's even better.
            It's only ink and paper

Comment

Thanks Carl,

I already work for the Army in Frederick, MD at Fort Detrick. I live in Bel Air, MD which is about 80 miles one way. The gas prices are killing me, but, I've been doing it for 5 years. Annapolis is about 30 miles closer. My home cost quite a bit, but it is where my wife and I are going to die when we get old...

When I came here; I had 19 years of experience in various types of shops from repair work, to job shops, to toolrooms, to R&D work. All private companies. I thought I had died and gone to heaven when I got here. There are times when I have to bust my butt, but most of the time I can take my time and get the job done the right way. It's a good shop and my co-workers are all really good guys and my boss is top-notch.

I'm the only machinist here and the shop I'm in has 4 lathes, 4 mills, a horizontal and vertical bandsaw, a surface grinder, a buffer, an engraver, a radial drill a table saw, 2 drill grinders, etc....The heavy fab shop is in the next bay of the building. I'm attached to the Millwright/HVAC shop.

Andy Pullen
              Clausing 10x24, Sheldon 12" shaper, Clausing 8520 mill, Diacro 24" shear, Reed Prentice 14" x 34"

Comment

You are complaining about gas prices!!! Why not come to the U K where they are $10+ a gallon just gone up to over a pound per litre. Actually we pay per litre more than you do for gallon usually.I wish we could have your gas prices I really do.Alistair
                Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Originally posted by Alistair Hosie
                  I wish we could have your gas prices I really do.Alistair
                  The difference in price is due to your excessive taxes on gasoline.
                  I thought y'all loved your high gas prices?
                  I am told it was done for your own good.....

[/rant]

Sorry, I couldn't hold back as this issue is one that bothers me a lot and because this has been gotten away with in Europe there are many who want to bring it to the US.

Now, I wish whoever gets the job the best of luck!

regards,
                  TheLiz

Comment

But Alistair there is no place in the UK that is more than 70 miles from the sea. I doubt that anybody commutes 160 miles to work and back every day. I'm not sure how you could.
                    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

I think top to bottom runs out about 1100 miles even though you are never 70 miles from a coast.

There is a lot of people who commute to London but most do it by train, London from here is about 120 miles, one way, but can take 3-1/2 possibly 4 hours at times by road.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan
                        But Alistair there is no place in the UK that is more than 70 miles from the sea. I doubt that anybody commutes 160 miles to work and back every day. I'm not sure how you could.
                        I do 122 miles, 62 miles each way by car every day in the Uk and I used to work with someone who did 150.

If gas prices were at UK levels im sure that there would be less F250 and 350 pickups on the road with only one occupant and no load.

Comment

If gas prices were at UK levels im sure that there would be less F250 and 350 pickups on the road with only one occupant and no load.
                          I cannot quite figure out how drivers in our area think. It would seem as though $3.30 gasoline would start putting a crimp in their style. Yet, it doesn't seem to be persuading them to make any changes. My wife is retiring so we are putting her 40 mpg commuter car up for sale. It is in cherry condition, yet, nobody seems to be interested. They keep on driving their 12 mpg slurp-and-burps.

Orrin
                          So many projects. So little time.

Comment

update...

I go for an interview tomorrow (Wednesday) at 1:00pm....

Andy Pullen

Comment

Good luck.
                              Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Working...
                              X