3/16" Tangential Toolholder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3/16" Tangential Toolholder

This is aphoto of a toolholder I recently completed for a A2Z cnc toolpost I have ion a 920 lathe. When I first got this lathe I picked up a Diamond Toolholder from Bay-com that used a 1/4" square toolbit and was very pleased with the way it could handle hard to machine material like "gummy" CRS and 302 stainless.

When I acquired an 11" Standard Modern lathe earlier this year I transferred the tool to it. I have always figured that the correct sized tangential tool for the 7-9" swing lathes would be a 3/16" tool bit so, after getting an A2Zcnc holder at the last NAMES show, I set out to make one.

I picked up a 3/16" square sleeve (5/16" od) from Reid Supply as I don't have a square broach and soft soldered it in position using solder paste after drilling the hole at the 12/12 degree angle.

Here is a shot from underneath.

You can see the sleeve if you look carefully.

After much cutting of the multitude of angles I got it completed . Of course it took triple the time I thought it was going to - but what the heck, I'm retired!

This photo shows it on the lathe and the last one shows a comparison with the 1/4" version in an AXA style holder.

In trying to keep the overhang as low as possible, I nearly messed up with the clearance and have only 1/16" between the front of the holder and the work. The post has to be about 12 degrees from square to the work but then one can face and turn without adjustment.

All in all a fun project.

Geoff
    Last edited by ammcoman2; 03-24-2013, 09:13 AM.

Neat job.
    How did you do the square hole?

Did you also make a rest to use to grind the tool, or is this s ahnd job?
    Dave

Comment

Originally posted by mechanicalmagic
      Neat job.
      How did you do the square hole?
      Dave
      Please pay attention, Dave.

Originally posted by ammcoman2
      I picked up a 3/16" square sleeve (5/16" od) from Reid Supply as I don't have a square broach and soft soldered it in position using solder paste after drilling the hole at the 12/12 degree angle.
      What is your opinion of the A2Z tool post Geoff, satisfied?
      I thought of buying it for my Myford. Well, either that, or the Phase II Hobby.

Last edited by Thomas Staubo; 11-29-2007, 02:14 PM.
      Thomas

Problems worthy of attack prove their worth by hitting back
      - Piet Hein

Comment

Great looking tool, a lot like something I was planing, but I was planing on making the square hole from scratch, which is possibly above my pay grade. I have a shaper so I need some projects to justify it with. I like the idea of attaching an existing part, though I imagine by the time I sourced it to Canada it would be cheaper to buy the baycom one.
        Last edited by Blacksmith; 11-29-2007, 04:25 PM.

Comment

Does anyone on this board remember hacksaw and file?
          Just got my head together
          now my body's falling apart

Comment

Thanks for the feedback and I'll try to answer the questions;

Dave, the grinding of the toolbit was done on the little fixture that was supplied with the larger Bay-Com unit. I was able to hold the smaller toolbit in place with the existing hold down screw. I might make up a jig specifically for the 3/16" size but it will be one of those "roundtuit" projects.

Thomas, I was a bit sceptical of the merits of a piston style toolpost over the wedge style (on my AXA size unit) but it has proved to be fine. On the other hand I don't take production size cuts. The toolholder is 2" long (cf 3" on the AXA size) and is designed to take 5/16" (8mm) toolbits. It is interesting to note that the size of the ground top of the 3/16" bit is just about the same as a ccmt 21.51 insert. I am not aware of the size of the Phase 11 hobby unit so can't comment on it.

Blacksmith, The square insert cost me about $8 and I still have half left for something else. Reid Supply is in the US http://www.reidsupply.com/index.aspx
            I couldn't buy a square broach for that price. Actually I used my shaper for all the outside surfaces except for the front. The other issue for me was to get the alignment of the square just right, so positioning it before soldering made for an easier assembly.

Geoff

Comment

[QUOTE=Thomas Staubo]Please pay attention, Dave.

Boldly standing here with egg on my face.

"I like forums where the poster can't go back and edit, after I post."

Even now that Geoff added the circle of the insert, I can barely see it.

Comment

Very nice! How about a picture of that sharpening fixture if you get a chance?

I've grown rather fond of an ever growing assortment of HSS tooling in a variety of shapes and styles, but something like that for casual every day turning would be nice and reduce the sharpening and tool swapping overheads I think...
                Russ
                Master Floor Sweeper

Comment

Geoff

Do you use this tool for both roughing and finish work and if so how smooth of finish do you get?

Nice machining on the tool holder, I wish someone made them for the Aloris AXA's, I would buy one in a heart beat.

Did you alter the factory holder for the Bay-Com tool?

Hal
                  Last edited by Hal; 11-30-2007, 12:17 AM.

Comment

My homebrew cutter grinder would sharpen those bits easily. Nice job! I've never seen a holder like that. I like it though! At first I thought "Hmm thinkin outside the box" Then I realized I must live in a box....not having seen that type of holder before
                    I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

Originally posted by Swarf&Sparks
                      OH yeah!

I think that's the reason there are so many 'how'd ya do it' questions when square holes show up, always hoping there's a secret!

I use files and hacksaw all the time, Normally bring file work in with me to do when I'm resting. It's gotten so when I need one of my riffles, I head into the house and check my desk drawer first, only if that fails do I think to look in my file cabinet.

ken.

Comment

What I was thinking
                        I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

Exactly

(from another West Aussie)
                          Kind regards

Peter

Comment

I haven't used either since I got my teeth fixed.

Damn nice execution on the tool holder Geoff.
                            - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                            Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

As requested here is a photo of the toolbit (1/4" in this case) in the jig ready for grinding.

The grinder rest is set up to be exactly on centre to the wheel and the two angles are then achieved. I guess the radius of the grinding wheel imparts a slight "hook" to the bit but I have sharpened bits on a belt grinder and it works fine in practice.

The second shot shows the toolholder in action on the lathe.

One can take fairly major cuts and then dust off a thou. If one takes a "reverse" cut of about a thou then the finish is pretty amazing - I guess the shaving action is the key. The instructions also advise to put a slight radius on the leading edge of the tool if you want a smoother finish. I usually dress the edge with a stone.

Geoff

Comment

Working...
                              X