Old Ring Roller pics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Ring Roller pics

Here's the pics you wanted. All the plates/blocks for this where made by hand with torch, grinder, files etc. I only had a SB9 and a drill press at the time.
    Front view...the bolts holding the bottom rollers are 5/8" diameter. They're too small. I was limited to the shaft size by the bearing size. A 1" bolt or shaft here would be better.

The back side. The handle is 18" long. Waay to long. Could only be 10" easily.

This is the raising/lowering swivel nut/bolt. This has a suprising amount of power. 1" NF Grade 8 bolt. There's a grease nipple there that goes into a grease hole that feeds the bottom of the swivel nut. The hole is a two part hole that angles in toward the middle. Drilled the angle from the bottom then intersected it from the top. Moly grease makes it real slick.

You caqn see here how the side plates are attached to the bottom. Pretty low tech...welded flatbar with threaded holes on the back, then bolts in from the outside.
    Last edited by torker; 11-29-2007, 11:59 PM.
    I have tools I don't even know I own...

And the last view...this shows the tensioner. The 1" bolt is welded to the bearing block. There are two 1" id sealed bearings inside this. There's washers that provide the right clearance for the block to slide up and down but still stays parallel to the lower rollers. One of the washers is brass. I can't remember what the other one is. The top roller is a slip fit on the shaft with a 3/16" keyway.

BTW...the rollers are 4" long..I think the top is 3" dia 4140 annealed. The heaviest stuff so far...a 8" dia ring made from 6061 alu 4" wide and a 12"dia ring made from 3/4" hot rolled. The alu really made it suckhole. The bottom rollers where flexing so I had to keep turning the ring around to keep the bend equal..it would have made some kind of wonky cone otherwise. It did the 3/4" dia ring like nothing but you can see the round stock on the flat rollers does raise hell with the face plate and grooves are starting to form in the flat rollers. Needs a bit of Stoody there.
    Russ
    Last edited by torker; 11-30-2007, 12:01 AM.

Comment

Hey Tork
      How about making a new baseplate with lower 2 outer bolt heads supported, won't need to change bolts or bearings. Will still have same access to rollers.

Might need to box in sides, so top does'nt flex under new higher loads ...

I'm going to have to build one of them things....
      Last edited by Bguns; 11-30-2007, 02:13 AM.

Comment

There's an article in this months Homeshop Machinist on building a ring roller. A timely plug for our forum sponsor

Comment

Very manly Torker! Looks much beefier than mine. I bought one of the cheap harbor freight rollers on sale. It works if you don't tease it with anything you can't bend with your fingers and teeth! I broke two teeth off the cast iron gears. At the break the gears looked like they were made with dross, anything but fine grained.
          - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
          Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Originally posted by Bguns
            Hey Tork
            How about making a new baseplate with lower 2 outer bolt heads supported, won't need to change bolts or bearings. Will still have same access to rollers.

Might need to box in sides, so top does'nt flex under new higher loads ...

I'm going to have to build one of them things....
            Bguns...Good idea! Make a new base plate? I don't think so...I'm one of those weldor dudes who welds everything together. No big deal to add to this. Everything is 3/8" or 1/2" plate so there's plenty of beef. This thing is never done. I bought a small hydraulic jack awhile back to add to the top someday. I'll have to add a longer post to the top and a big ol' return spring but it'd be fast than using a big clumsy wrench. I also want to make some proper rollers for working with round stock. And add this thing to a big cart.
            YOD...lol! Dross! Funny one! Yer right, this thing is heavy...I'm thinkin 75 to 80 pounds. I'm getting tired of lifting it off the floor so I want to get the gurl helper to build me a cart to mount this on, along with the bead roller and a small bending break I made. Would be nice to just have it all mounted and tucked away in a corner...just wheel it out when you need it.
            All in all I'm pretty happy with this. It does pretty good for an open faced roller.
            Made a few mistakes, like the lower bolts being too small...that's solved now! Handle is too long...don't have time to shorten it. And I should have hardened the rollers. That was the idea of using the 4140 in the first place.
            Russ

Comment

Thanks Russ!

Maybe I'll drag the one I tried to make out of the corner and replace the bushings with bearings maybe thta will solve the "ring roller that won't roll" issue....

Cam
              Design to 0.0001", measure to 1/32", cut with an axe, grind to fit

Comment

Thanks! If it is okay with you, I would like to save the pictures and put them in my file of stuff I want to build, but haven't found the right job or time for...

The pictures don't really do the thing justice. I thought it was a lot smaller than what it is. I am glad I didn't just try and wing it from picture in the other thread.

Later,
                Jason

Comment

LOL Torker...
                  I am used to welding a bit thicker stuff... Around 350 AMPS and 1/4 Rod on D9 undercarriage stuff. That thing looks like a tin can compared to the big stuff up at the mine Wrist gets sore holding that fat ~1/2 in OD Stoody Build Up and 7018.... rod.

I guess a good welder could handle that thin 3/8th plate

Comment

Me like,I've been wanting to build one,just haven't rounded up the bearings yet,also haven't found the right gearmotor
                    I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Originally posted by Your Old Dog
                      Very manly Torker! Looks much beefier than mine. I bought one of the cheap harbor freight rollers on sale. It works if you don't tease it with anything you can't bend with your fingers and teeth! I broke two teeth off the cast iron gears. At the break the gears looked like they were made with dross, anything but fine grained.
                      The HF roller,I have one of those,it will even roll 1x1/4" flatbar......if I heat the whole length up red hot and run it through quick
                      I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Working...
                      X