Holding thread wires w/only 2 hands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holding thread wires w/only 2 hands

How does one hold thread wires while measuring a thread that's still in the lathe? It seems to require at least 3 hands, maybe 4. Is there some gadget that will do the job?

I've used tacky stuff (clay like stuff you use to stick pics on the wall and such), I've used magnets, and once I even used a small Starrett parallel clamp to hold the back 2 while I held the front one with my thumb and positioned the mic with the other hand. Definitely an exercise in dexterity. If possible, I prefer to us a bench mic (or mic in rubber vise jaws) to simplify a bit.

But mostly, I just eye-ball and fit to a nut...
    Russ
    Master Floor Sweeper

Comment

ahh

ahh a good way, or the way i always do it is to spread some grease on the thread and the wires will hold themselves

Comment

I've been using some grease I got at a trans shop called Trans-Gel. It's meant for assembly work and it's very sticky. Still a fiddly damn thing to do tho!

Balancing 2 on top and greasing one in place on the bottom has worked best for me.

SP

Comment

Get a rubber band. You'll have to experiment a little to get one the right size. Position the two wires in the back and loop one end of the rubber band over the two wires at the top and loop the other end of the rubber band over the wires at the bottom going AROUND the piece part. You may have to move the rubber band out of the way of the thread that you need to get at for the third wire. Grab the third wire and there you go!

Comment

Besides the classic grease trick, I saw a post on PM where a guy suggested using electrostatic foam (the soft black foam that chips ship in). You lay the thread wires in the threads and poke them into the foam, and they stay put.

Works great!
            "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Oh, I had forgotten about the grease. Plain ol' cheap Petroleum Jelly works fine too. I've got a tub that gets used for holding needle bearings in place and all sorts of stuff.

Neat idea about the foam too. I'll have to remember to try that.
              Russ
              Master Floor Sweeper

Comment

A guy was telling me about using tape to hold the wires, and for the life of me I couldn't figure out how that could work. After reading Lazlo's post I realize he musta been poking the wires into the tape. Foam would be even better I bet.

Learn something here everyday ......

SP

Comment

No, I don't think he poked it into the tape. Probably just lined up the wire 1, 2, 3 next to each other on the tap, then doubled it back over so it sticks to itself with the wires trapped between. Pull the center wire up and slide over the thread, bottom 2 are about right to hit the bottom 2 (or reverse), then apply micrometer while wires held by spring action. That would work for small threads, and could be easily modified by creative application of tape to handle even large diameter threads.
                  Russ
                  Master Floor Sweeper

Comment

foam, styrofoam etc.

Yup, I use what ever foam is handy. Have used piece of styrofoam cup before. But have several thicker pieces in the tool box just for the thread wires.

-brian
                    -brian

Hello, my name is brian and I'm a toolaholic.

Comment

Tale a piece masking tape about 3or4 inches long. Tape the end of 2 of the wires on one end and the other wire on the other end.lay the 2 wires on top insert mike adjust down till contact back off some on thimble and insert 3 rd wire under thread between mike anvil and thread adjust mike and read. simple as all that.And if you drop the wires in a full chip pan you can find them taped to the tape.
                      Every Mans Work Is A Portrait of Him Self
                      http://sites.google.com/site/machinistsite/TWO-BUDDIES
                      http://s178.photobucket.com/user/lan...?sort=3&page=1

Comment

Lane to the rescue! LOL! That sounds like a much better way to use tape than poking holes .....

SP

Comment

There is a little plastic device that fits over the micrometer and holds the wires. I found it in Travers catalog. It works.
                          John R

Comment

Thread wires

Being able to hold the wires seperates the men from the boys!! Also the chances of dropping one is directly proportional to the amount of swarf in the tray!! Proverbial needle in a haystack. The tape, foam or grease methods work well. For 'Insurance' I always put a rag on the bed, to catch the wires if/when I drop one!

Does anyone have the 'One Wire' formula for Acme threads?

Pat

Comment

You guys are making this way too complicated.
                              It's a simple 9 step process.

1) Clean off the greasy kid stuff that everyone else puts on them.

2) Pre-set the mic just a little bigger than the measurement you will be taking.

3) Put the mic around the threads with the frame to the back and the thimble up.

4) Pick up the thread wires and put one in your mouth (see step one).

5) Put the remaining two wires in the threads at the bottom of the work and hold them there with the anvil of the mic.

6) Take the wire out of your mouth and put it between the top of the threads and the spindle of the mic.

7) Work the mic to hold the top wire and take your measurement at the same time (see step two).

8) Hold the wires with your off hand as you pull the mic off of them.

9) Put the top wire right back in your mouth so it doesn't get 'contaminated' before the next measurement.

This is suprisingly quick and easy to do after you fumble through it the first couple of times.

Rick

Comment

Working...
                              X