Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT: Tiedown Hook

I bought some ratchet tiedowns from Costco,
    When I tried to use them, I discovered that they would not fit over the rack on my ATV, or handlebars, or much of anything else.
    They are the type that end with 2 parallel ends, rather than the usual single large diameter hook. They are coated with plastic but the ID is too small for their intended and advertised use (Motorcycle, ATV, Truck etc.).
    I tried to put them over a pice of 3/4 pipe and beat the crap out of them but that still didn't open them up. I also tried to use some large angle in my 12 ton press, with no satisfaction.

Anyone have any good suggestions on how to make them work?

I hate that type of hook! FOr that matter, I hate ratcheting tie downs, but thats a personal thing. Anyhow, what you need is soft ties. They're made out of the same stuff the tie downs are made of, but have no hooks. They're just 2 loops, like a figure 8. You loop the soft tie over the handles bars or rack then hook the tie down to that. You'll find soft ties in most bike shops catering to street bikes, especially Harleys. They're used as sort of an extender, so you don't have to hook a metal hook on or near your expensive painted or chrome parts.

You can get them anywhere, but heres what they look like:
    http://shop.coversuperstore.com/inde...categoryID=348

Comment

I can't picture what your talking about ... any chance of a photo or a link to some on the internet?

Comment

Those straps are usually miles longer than are needed. Cut some material off and sew it into a loop of an appropriate length that will wrap around your load. They don't mar the finish, either. I do this when ever I need to truck a harley to the shop. Real chrome savers.

Comment

They come in different lengths.

I posted a link in my first reply up there. I'll see if I can find a photo of them being used.

Comment

Originally posted by ligito
            I tried to put them over a pice of 3/4 pipe and beat the crap out of them but that still didn't open them up. I also tried to use some large angle in my 12 ton press, with no satisfaction.

Anyone have any good suggestions on how to make them work?
            Take them back to Costco and tell them that they are all beat up and don't work correctly...........then buy something that will work..........Seen lots of people do that......LOL............BTW...Not me......LOL
            RPease

Comment

Heres how they look while in use.

http://www.discountramps.com/article...e-tie-down.htm

Comment

Costco said I could return them but I don't go near major stores until after the holiday madness.

I just wonderd if anyone had any ideas on how to enlarge them, so they would work. I was hoping for some ingenious and real simple method. Maybe some of that medicine the spammers keep emailing me about, for enlargement would do.

I have soft ties but that might make them too long to tighten.
                I'll have to try them, to see. On my friends trailer, it is a pretty short distance from the ATV rack to his trailer hooks. They travel sideways and might not even need tiedowns but we do use them, anyway.

Comment

I'm still not sure what you are refering to Ligito, but can you heat them up while keeping the strap cool?

I keep picturing the clevis that is used on semi-truck straps for trailer pockets. Not sure if thats what your talking about or not...

Comment

Originally posted by ligito

I have soft ties but that might make them too long to tighten.
                    I'll have to try them, to see. On my friends trailer, it is a pretty short distance from the ATV rack to his trailer hooks. They travel sideways and might not even need tiedowns but we do use them, anyway.

Wrap them aound several times until you can hook onto them and have room to tighten the tie downs.

Comment

See them here.

They are not the Ancra brand, I just used that image from their website.

http://s267.photobucket.com/albums/ii319/ligito/

Comment

Working...
                      X