Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steel question, Sir John

Sir John

I am going to try and machie a set of rockers for my 1948 SOHC Manx Norton.
    Originals have a number forged onto them: KE805
    Am I right in asuming this refers to the material used ?
    Now, does anyone have a current cross reference to this material ?

Regards
    Arne Eftestol

These people may be able to help:

http://www.westyorkssteel.com/

hth,

Ian
    All of the gear, no idea...

Comment

Thanks Ian, I've sent an e-mail to them.
      Fingers crossed !

Arne

Comment

Never made any rockers but we used to use EN24 plate for con rods then heat treat.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Just a guess, but might be Kayser Ellison. Probably forged. Not sure about the number designation, but might get you started.
          Bill

Comment

willmac

I think you are absolutely right. Thanks a lot !
            Now, cross references anyone ?

Arne

Comment

Arne -

Just another thought - the originals were probably forged for several reasons: Ease of production - not so much to machine (no CNC then), but far more importantly to get a good grain-flow in what is probably a rather marginal design. If you try to replace the forged part with a machined from bar equivalent material you may find that it does not perform as well as the original.

Trying to get forgings in very small quantities in an appropriate material could be quite a challenge.

It could be that I am misunderstanding your original question and that you are intending to modify the original rockers, in which case this is not relevant.
              Bill

Comment

Willmac

You are most probably right, they must be forged for ease of production and
                grain structure. Hwever, I do not think the design is marginal !
                The rockers has to be seen to be believed ! They weigh a ton !
                I am not modifying, I am looking to machine a pair as they are virtually
                impossible to come by.
                My question was really to find a comparable steel to machine from.
                KE805 may not be entirely relevant as has been suggested it may be a
                steel intended for forging, in that case there will probably be a better choise
                when machining.

Arne

Comment

Working...
                X