No announcement yet.

OT/ Small antique bulldozer questions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT/ Small antique bulldozer questions?

I'm in need of a smallish dozer up here. Right now one would be perfect for all the snow and ice I have.
    I've ran big dozers for quite a few years in the bush, D6,7,8, D4 and 5 Hi-drives, Komatsu 53's etc.
    Never ran one of the real old little guys though. There's one for sale down the road. It's a very small cat...would almost fit in a pickup. It's a very faded red color. No canopy on it.
    Anyone have any idea what it would be? The owner bought the place with the machine already there and doesn't know what it is.
    Thanks!
    Russ
    I have tools I don't even know I own...

Is it a very small Caterpiller? Or a very small something else bulldozer?

Regardless of the brand, the most critical item is the condition of the rails - the place where the tracks meet the rollers. This is where wear takes place and eventually there is no longer any more takeup adjustment. New, or at least serviceable, replacement tracks can be hard to come by. It can be very frustrating to operate an otherwise good running bulldozer that won't stay in its tracks.
    Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
    ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

Russ,
      Faded red could be a small IH - T4 or T5 gas burner or TD5 or TD 340 diesel.
      These weren't really small enough to fit in a pickup though...

Comment

Have you looked into the Chinese crawlers yet? They are reasonably priced and parts are available. If you are interested I can supply web sites to visit and dealers to visit.
        It's only ink and paper

Comment

dozer

Small enough to fit in a pickup?
          It isn't a Mead Speed Cat is it?

Comment

Originally posted by torker
            I'm in need of a smallish dozer up here. Right now one would be perfect for all the snow and ice I have.
            I've ran big dozers for quite a few years in the bush, D6,7,8, D4 and 5 Hi-drives, Komatsu 53's etc.
            Never ran one of the real old little guys though. There's one for sale down the road. It's a very small cat...would almost fit in a pickup. It's a very faded red color. No canopy on it.
            Anyone have any idea what it would be? The owner bought the place with the machine already there and doesn't know what it is.
            Thanks!
            Russ
            if it is truly a Cat, and is old and red, it may worth enough to sell and buy a decent older (but much more modern) Case. if it's an old IH machine, they are pretty cheap because parts are hard to come by. Oliver/Cletrac and Deere equipment usually has parts available, other makes can be spotty. get some more details on the machine, and maybe a photo, if possible.

i had typed up a list of what to check, but realized you are familiar with full-sized machines, so you would already know most of the major problem areas (it is the same on the small machines as a large one).

even a worn crawler can be useful though. if you aren't planning on using it every day, all that really matters is that the tracks don't come off. if the one you're looking at can be started, try driving it and see if it looks like it is going to throw a track when making turns or running across a small incline.

i have a 1954 Oliver OC-46 and it comes in QUITE handy. i used it this past summer in fact to place about 30 tons of concrete blocks for a retaining wall i built. the biggest block i moved had to weigh almost a ton, and the crawler had no problem swinging it around where i wanted it.

andy b.
            The danger is not that computers will come to think like men - but that men will come to think like computers. - some guy on another forum not dedicated to machining

Comment

If it's old and red it's likely a T or TD6 by IH, one was a gas version the other a diesel, the engines unlike the old Cats with their ponies started up on gas and then switched over to diesel within the same motor or main. Price can vary hugely for these from free to 8K in some parts of BC where they're still used as a small skidding cat. About the only other thing I can think of would be an AC M crawler, they are back to the 30's. I don't think either would fit into a pickup but a small tandem trailer would likely handle them.

Heres a link to a T6 gasser that a buddy has, homemade lightweight dozer on this one, same size as the old D2's
              http://www.redpowermagazine.com/foru...=post&id=48700

McCormick Deering also had a small, gas crawler T20, Cletracks although originally orange may have faded into reddish now, they had peaked hoods.

Early crawler competition was fierce just like motorcycle manufacturers for first 1/2 of the century, link to 2006 UK show, dialup users beware
              http://www.antiquecaterpillar.net/AC...ead.php?t=7186
              Last edited by hardtail; 12-05-2007, 07:35 PM.
              Opportunity knocks once, temptation leans on the doorbell.....

Comment

When I was young(teenaged), we used to hunt and trap on an old abandoned motorcycle dirt racetrack. Off in the weeds, there was a little CAT crawler, dozer sans blade that I recall having a "D 2" decal on it's faded paint. The old farmer who owned the property prior to the racetrack owner used it to farm. The ground was quite wet, so conventional rubber- tired ag tractors common to Indiana couldn't get around. Years later, when a golf course was being built there, some collector came by and after a day of putzing around got her fired up and took her away. I'm in the excavating business and the smallest dozer/loaders I've seen have been the JD 350's or even further back the old JD 1010's. None of them or this faded memory of the D 2 would have been small enough to fit into the back of my pick up.
                I bury my work

Comment

Originally posted by recoilless
                  None of them or this faded memory of the D 2 would have been small enough to fit into the back of my pick up.
                  One of these ought to fit

http://www.greenmountpress.com.au/co...actortales.htm

Tim

Comment

Thanks!
                    Russ
                    One of these maybe?

http://www.syltech.net/miniatures.htm
                    Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
                    ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

It's a very small cat...would almost fit in a pickup. It's a very faded red color. No canopy on it.
                      Anyone have any idea what it would be?
                      C'mon Russ, thats the sort of description my sister would give! Data and/or photos needed!

Down the road from me there is a little Cat 10 (or maybe 2 ton) parked in a guys garden as an ornament. These tiny machines would fit on a pick-up, but I can't imagine what use they would be. I have never seen one with a blade, they are much too light I think.

I have a JD 430C (two cylinder) with blade, but it is too light to do any serious blade work. A Cat D2 is better, but they are getting pretty old now and I doubt if any pickup would take one!

Canopy is probably a waste of time anyway unless you are in the bush - they just make it more likely to tip over. I would be more interested to see that it had an angle blade.

I guess now days you could consider one of those powerful little Case or similar machines?
                      Last edited by Peter S; 12-05-2007, 06:04 PM.

Comment

Cat "TEN" or "TWENTY" comes to mind that fits in a pickup.

Comment

Should it turn out to be a Clark airborne dozer, worth about 5k unrestored.

Lee

Comment

got 2 small crawlers myself..the bigger one is a trackmaster..by size would fit in a full size truck bed..but is a heavy machine...over a ton...very cute and a real worker..was marketed in the 50's to railroads. second is a mead, much smaller...and here is a pic of it in my truck..and my rather large engine hoist. more pics on my site www.plastikosmd.com

"Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment" R.M.Brown

My shop tour www.plastikosmd.com

Comment

Not much of a description Torker

MY guess is a TD5 which I think is around 10,000 lbs

A D4 is around 10k also.

D2 around 8K,

old Gas Cats 10 15 20 etc are pretty heavy..

The 10 would go on a decent light double axle trailer or perhaps a Dually..

I have a Clark Airborne (pretty rough) a D2 and 3 different versions of the D4...

Neighbor has on Oliver OC3 a friend an OC4.

Them little crawlers are heavier than they look......

Even the tiny ones are heavy....

Comment

Working...
                              X