Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

All ye computer experts...a plea for HELP!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All ye computer experts...a plea for HELP!!

Over-exuberant know-it-all daughter tried to install a Bluetooth USB adapter on our computer in the house that has the cable modem and wireless network base station attached. (I'm still able to get online here in the shop....so far.)

The Bluetooth devil hardware/software is designed for XP but the ol' reliable box still runs W98. Of course, the installation failed, she tried to uninstall it then clicked on gawd only knows what before she finally owned up to the mistake.

After 2 days now of dealing with all the multitude of "Illegal operations/page fault messages", I determined that my firewall/anti-virus and Microsoft Broadband Network software were scrambled. I uninstalled the firewall program and the computer would then boot up OK with only 1 error message: "Msbntray Has Performed An Illegal Operation." I tried to repair it with the installation/utility CD that came with the base staion kit but kept getting an MSBI error of some kind. I finally decided to just uninstall the Wireless software and start over. I shut off and disconnected the base station and cable modem from it and tried to reinstall from scratch but it only goes so far before getting the "Illegal Operation" message again and the install program shuts down.

If the answer is to reload the OS and start over, what's the best way to approach it to save all the files that are stored on it. 3 people use it and it has a ton of stuff aboard. I have a W98 and a W2000 disc, plus an extra harddrive or 2 to offload data onto if nec.

I gotta admit that I'm getting that nauseated feeling....I don't EVEN want to spend my whole weekend off screwing with computers. At least the other 2 computers still go online...I didn't know they would work with the "home" computer shut down. What I know about networks you can put on the end of a 1/32" endmill!
    Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Always a bummer, even worse when you had no hand in it, the even worse is made even worse when the problem is now dumped into your lap.

My attack on that would be to install one of your spare Hard Drives, format and re-install the operating system on that drive, then you can add the original to pull wanted files from.

This attack would also extend toward my know it all daughter, required to sit by and watch for the entire time while this process took place.
    Last edited by Ken_Shea; 12-07-2007, 10:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DICKEYBIRD
      Over-exuberant know-it-all daughter tried to install a Bluetooth USB adapter on our computer in the house that has the cable modem and wireless network base station attached. (I'm still able to get online here in the shop....so far.)

The Bluetooth devil hardware/software is designed for XP but the ol' reliable box still runs W98. Of course, the installation failed, she tried to uninstall it then clicked on gawd only knows what before she finally owned up to the mistake.

After 2 days now of dealing with all the multitude of "Illegal operations/page fault messages", I determined that my firewall/anti-virus and Microsoft Broadband Network software were scrambled. I uninstalled the firewall program and the computer would then boot up OK with only 1 error message: "Msbntray Has Performed An Illegal Operation." I tried to repair it with the installation/utility CD that came with the base staion kit but kept getting an MSBI error of some kind. I finally decided to just uninstall the Wireless software and start over. I shut off and disconnected the base station and cable modem from it and tried to reinstall from scratch but it only goes so far before getting the "Illegal Operation" message again and the install program shuts down.

If the answer is to reload the OS and start over, what's the best way to approach it to save all the files that are stored on it. 3 people use it and it has a ton of stuff aboard. I have a W98 and a W2000 disc, plus an extra harddrive or 2 to offload data onto if nec.

I gotta admit that I'm getting that nauseated feeling....I don't EVEN want to spend my whole weekend off screwing with computers. At least the other 2 computers still go online...I didn't know they would work with the "home" computer shut down. What I know about networks you can put on the end of a 1/32" endmill!
      Realizing what's at stake, this is what I advise::::::::::::::::::

Pack the thing up and carry it off to some reasonably-priced guru and let him have a go at it. Tell him that there are a bazillion files on your HD that you need retrieved first, before anything is done. Get him to copy those onto CDs. Then when that is done, format the whole kit-'n'-kaboodle and start from scratch. This will give you a clean slate.
      Last edited by pneu-engine; 12-07-2007, 10:43 PM.
      I can only please one person at a time per day. Today isn\'t your day. Tomorrow isn\'t looking good either.

Comment

Hello,

You said that you have other hard drives. Pull out your current hard drive, label it with a Post-IT note or something, and put it on a shelf. (I am assuming that the other hard disks are blank or can be deleted.) Then, put one of the other hard disks in the computer and install the OS and everything else on it. Afterwards, when everything is up and running, put your hard disk (currently sitting on a shelf) in the computer as a secondary drive. This way there is no way you will lose your data.

Oh, yea, I second the notion of making the daughter sit and watch. Better yet, she can babysit the computer during the install and let you know when it needs something (like hitting a key to continue) while you go work on something else.

Regards,

Brian
        There are only 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary and those who don't.

Comment

Dickeybird,
          From a long time ago, I recall that Win 98, or at least Win98 SE, was nondestructive.

In other words, it will actually repair a corrupted OS, NOT overwrite the whole drive.

For your own peace of mind, I would install the spare drive, install Win98 again, then connect the original drive, save everything you need, switch back to the original drive and do another re-install.

You SHOULD find that the original drive is OK to go with all your data still where it should be.

I always load Win98 SE on my machine, in conjunction with Win 2k, as a dual boot. If 2k fails me, I can use 98 to re-install 2k, as 2k is an upgrade version.

95 wiped everything. 98 doesn't. Re-install is OK, but I would still save anything you don't want to lose.

I understand Win XP can be even less forgiving than 98, as far as wiping your machine, at least as far as trying to help a friend from Florida over the phone went. She said "I am going to try this..." and lost all her business records.

Stuff you would like to keep should actually be backed up to DVD or CD on occassion, or to an external drive, BUT, 98 does not play well with USB externals.

Another suggestion would be to upgrade to 2k, if you don't like XP or Vista, which I don't.

Cheers,

George

Comment

Originally posted by gmatov
            Dickeybird,
            From a long time ago, I recall that Win 98, or at least Win98 SE, was nondestructive.

Another suggestion would be to upgrade to 2k, if you don't like XP or Vista, which I don't.

Cheers,

George
            Not too sure of the first part, but the second part I'm withe you 100%

A while ago I built two new computers and bough two copies of XP, the wife has xp installed, but mine was on just about 10 days before I went back to 2K.

a friend bought vista, it wouldn't run his apps, so knowing I like playing with OS' he gave it to me. that was on maybe a week in dual boot before I figured it was even worse than XP. I think everything from 2K on has gone down hill, XP64 is pretty good, and is close to 2K, but hard to find drivers for it.

back to subject.

My normal process is to install the OS complete with drivers onto two different hard drives, then install all my normal programs on the regular hard drive, and boot into the second drive to burn a copy to CD/DVD. Then remove or disconnect the extra drive. That way if anything ever goes wrong all I have to do is connect the spare drive, copy off my data Which I keep in a specific folder with a seperate folder inside for each app, so I don't have to hunt for files, then format and copy the CD/DVD over to that drive, and copy the data back over, and it's a completly fresh install.
            Much faster than installing from a backup, but the original copy HAS to be made from a seperate installation, otherwise you get a lot of 'file in use' errors. don't worry about copying the swap file, windows will complain because it isn't there, then create one.

If 98 does do a 'repair', it may just bring you back to a raw install without drivers etc.
            IF you have the upgrade version it WILL keep the installed programs, but if the problem program isn't correctly removed it may just keep that too.
            There are a huge amount of registry reair progams out for win98, so if you have the chance maybe try them first.

ken.

Comment

Start 98 at a Safe Mode command prompt. At the prompt type scanreg /restore

From the list select a version of the registry that predates the problem and it will be restored in place of the current version.

Start Windows.

Go to Start>Run and enter SFC. Hit OK. This will run the system file checker. If it finds system files that are corrupted then replace them via the SFC.

Then install Win98 unofficial Service Pack 2

http://exuberant.ms11.net/98sesp.html

Then, if that doesn't work reinstall 98 as a repair install. It won't touch any of your files. It won't format the drive and it won't even remove any of the current device drivers. It will refresh all system files but it won't even mess with the internet connection settings.
              Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Here's some more info on what I think Evan is talking about. I know the command as "sfc /scannow".

http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

You may need your windows xp program disk. I need it for one of my machines and the other must have it stored on the harddrive. It takes awhile to run but will reset Windows files back to where they have to be and will replace some important contaminated files. As your computer gets used more and you add/delete programs some important stuff in the registry can get corrupted. This sfc /scannow command is supposed to correct those files.

edited to ad: I thought the problem was with the XP machine and not the 98 machine in the shop. If I'm wrong, forget everything I just told you
                Last edited by Your Old Dog; 12-08-2007, 07:53 AM.
                - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Thanks everyone. I'm in the process of doing what Evan recommended and I am hopeful again!

The MS Broadband Networking software is screwed due to my previous efforts and won't uninstall properly to try to reinstall from scratch. Seems like I saw a link on how to fix it in my previous Google searching. I'm off on the quest for more info.

Thanks again!
                  Milton

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Comment

To fix networking problems in 98 you need to replace the Winsock2 stack with a clean copy.

Goto Start>Run and enter Regedit, hit ok.

In regedit drill down through hkey_local_machine>system>CurrentControlSet> Services and delete the entire WinSock2 entry. Then expand the VxD key and find the WinSock2 entry and delete it. Note: NOT the plain WinSock entries, just WinSock2

Exit Regedit. Go to Control panel and open add/remove programs. Select the Windows setup tab. Select the Communications entry and from the resulting list uncheck Dial-Up Networking (trust me, it's relevant).

Click OK and it will be removed. yada yada...

Restart the 'puter and go back in the same place and recheck the Dial-up Networking component and ok everything. This will replace the TCPIP stack with a nice unspoiled copy including the registry entries. Restart again. Then reinstall the comm software.

Comment

ANYBODY DON'T LIKE EVAN'S A SUMBITCH!!

Like the old Bud Light commercial says....Evan, I luv you man!

I did precisely what you said....then I heard the little Bill Gates clone deep down in the bowels of the software stick out it's little lower lip and fold it's little arms and say: "CRAP, I guess I'll have to start working again.:@ "

All the little boxes popped up, bar graphs flew across the screen and here we are. I'm typing this on said recalcitrant computer!

Now one more question Sir Evan: During the process, I uninstalled my previous firewall/AV package provided by Roadrunner (EZArmor?) My service is now with Comcast and they offer McAfee for free. What do you recommend?

What a forum!
                      Milton

Comment

Best bang for the buck I've found is AvG free, Mcaffee seems to be a resource hog.
                        Have no real experience with it's functional abilities, just know that it burned a LOT of resources on my mom's old system. I uninstalled it and went with AVG and her computer 'felt' like a new machine.

Ken.

Comment

Ok, here I am again with another problem. All is well except for the fact that when I'm finished cruising the web and I shut down IE6, (this is on a WIN98 machine too) everything freezes up and will not respond. If I do the 3-finger salute, I get the not responding boxes then it won't do a thing unless I push the power button in till it shuts off. After powering up, all's well until exiting IE6 again.

Any suggestions?

Edit: Actually the freezeup occurs when I try to go back to IE after exiting; not open closing it.
                          Last edited by DICKEYBIRD; 12-15-2007, 01:05 PM.
                          Milton

Comment

Go to add/remove programs and select IE6 for removal. It will give you the opportunity to repair all the IE files. Do that.

BTW, you are welcome.

Oh yeah, AVG is good. Mcaffee sucks.
                            Last edited by Evan; 12-15-2007, 01:24 PM.

Comment

Thanks Evan, I just finished the IE repair routine, surfed around for a few minutes, exited then tried to re-launch IE but it still froze. I think I'll load up AVG and let it scan my system. Maybe sumthin there that Spybot & Adaware doesn't see?
                              Milton

Comment

Working...
                              X