Al Gore convinced me, green, green---green

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Al Gore convinced me, green, green---green

Bought two new tires for the wifies' auto. Arrived home with wife asking, why the new greenie things? Answer: Green valve caps mean the tires were not aired, but nitrified, with gaseous N2. Green's really in, I guess.

Tire shop spent over 7 grand for the liquid N2 vaporizer/compressor, for tire inflation purposes. Recounting, personal and company supplied autos total 24, since 1958. All approached 100k miles, with bukoo numbers of tires replaced due to normal wear, (and two blowouts.)

I never knew that nitrogen was required??????????

G, with tongue in cheek?

Nitrogen in tires has nothing to do with being "green" that I know of. IMO, it's more of a separation device...to separate people from their money. From all I've heard, in car tires, nitrogen provides such minimal advantages (if any) over air that it's totally meaningless.
    ----------
    Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
    Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
    There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
    Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

iTS MEANINGLESS IN PASSANGER TIRES. Its used in NASCAR because it has no moisture in it. Moisture will expand and change the tire pressure. Remember the NASCAR guys adjust to 1/4 pound of pressure.

Now for nitrogen to be "greener" than air. I dought it, unless you can create it easier than air

Comment

Just continue to put air in and you'll be 80% correct!!

Peter
        I have tools I don't know how to use!!

Comment

Always wondered(not enough to look though) how they add and release the air so quickly and accurately, guessing their tire guage is a little more accurate than my 99cent special from autozone.
          Originally posted by ahidley
          iTS MEANINGLESS IN PASSANGER TIRES. Its used in NASCAR because it has no moisture in it. Moisture will expand and change the tire pressure. Remember the NASCAR guys adjust to 1/4 pound of pressure.

Now for nitrogen to be "greener" than air. I dought it, unless you can create it easier than air

Comment

SGW is correct, it's just another upsell, the only advantages would be for customers that never check tire pressure, which unfortunately is most of them. We don't offer the service at our dealership, and I tell most costomers that ask that proper maintence is the best and most cost effective way of getting the most out of their vehicles.

Comment

Customers that never check their tire pressure will soon be driving on flat tires. Thus creating new tire sales for the shop.
              It's only ink and paper

Comment

i blew mine up with argon when my compressor died, seems ok, dont fancy oxy though!
                mark

Comment

we were just discussing this at work last week. everyone agreed that it is not worth it for normal automobile use. if you check your air pressure regularly, you will see about 99% of the benefits. one main difference between your daily driver car tires and commercial tires, is that big trucks may reuse the carcass many times with retreads. the moisture in normal air will eventually cause the steel belts and carcass to degrade. i don't think i have seen retreads for passenger cars in years, so that advantage is lost.

if the N2 is free, take it, if it costs extra, just skip it.

andy b.
                  The danger is not that computers will come to think like men - but that men will come to think like computers. - some guy on another forum not dedicated to machining

Comment

Its a must for one thing and one thing only --- tapping a keg of guinness, otherwise just use CO2... (am i on the right page here? )

Comment

Green

Originally posted by A.K. Boomer
                      Its a must for one thing and one thing only --- tapping a keg of guinness, otherwise just use CO2... (am i on the right page here? )
                      Seems you are Boomer.

Can't be greener that Irish and can't be more Irish than Guiness - can ya??

I know Teresa Green - she's Irish - I think.

You'll have no trouble tapping her - 'coz you'll be green around the gills - THEN you'll need a Guiness - LOTS!!
                      Last edited by oldtiffie; 12-10-2007, 07:25 PM.

Comment

Nitrogen Greener?

I agree with the others. Putting nitrogen in tires is green for the dealers as they take your greenbacks! Just putting air in your tires will put 78% nitrogen and 21% oxygen with the rest being the rare gases. I guess it is a good marketing scheme if you can get people to pay for somehting that there were getting for free previously.

Bill
                        Bill

Being ROAD KILL on the Information Super Highway and Electronically Challenged really SUCKS!!

Every problem can be solved through the proper application of explosives, duct tape, teflon, WD-40, or any combo of the aforementioned items.

Comment

tap Mzz Green, could I have the beer instead .
                          It's only ink and paper

Comment

Too right

Originally posted by Carld
                            tap Mzz Green, could I have the beer instead .
                            Equating beer to Guiness (stout) is sacriledge!!

Being tapped with Nitrogen will be a first for Mzzz. Green as she been tapped often-times by other things in just about every way possible (and some I'd have thought were impossible)!!

Comment

Nitrogen in tires is the Dumbest thing I have ever heard of.

Scenario,In your driveway you see you have a low tire, what are you going to do ?

A. Get the air comp. out and fill the tire.

B. call AAA.

C. drive your car around till you find a shop with Nitrogen.

D. Wonder why you were a dumba$$ for falling for such a dumb Idea.

Comment

Working...
                              X