AXA or BXA Toolpost?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AXA or BXA Toolpost?

Have a question regarding size overlap. AXA's are often shown as "up to 12" swing" and BXA's are called out at "10" to 15"". Looking at a unit for Logan 820(10" swing) as well as Clausing 6300 (12" swing).

Would the AXA work on the Clausing? Also, the BXA on the Logan? I' know the Logan site says to use AXA and I know the BXA will work on the Clausing.
    Just curious. Thanks in advance.
    I bury my work

BXA is going to have a hard time getting the holder low enough on the Logan. If you want one for both, I think it will have to be the AXA.

They rate by swing, but it's really swing over cross slide that matters.
    Russ
    Master Floor Sweeper

Comment

You will have to choose between useability and ridgity. The larger toolpost will be more ridgid but take up more space (like between the chuck and tailstock) also the tool holders will be larger on the bigger toolpost. My personal choice would to have the same size post on both lathes so to use the toolholders interchangeably. Decisions,,decisions. JIM
      jim

Comment

Bad Dog, I kinda thought that as I was looking at the set ups in the Travers Catalog. My mind is saying that the AXA could be made to work on the Clausing.
        I bury my work

Comment

Swing over cross slide?

Does anyone happen to know what the min/max swings over the cross slide are for the AXA and BXA? The SOCS for my lathe is 3.400". It's a 12" swing Enco lathe, so I've been wondering whether I could get away with an AXA or if I had to go bigger. I guess it also has to do with the height of the compound too. I'll have to measure that.

Stuart
          Stuart de Haro

Comment

I have a 4"round, 2" riser on my W/S #3 for a BXA and it IS stable.

As yet I have Had no problems with it.
            On the other hand, If you find a 14" lathe somewhere and have the BXA you don't have to buy another toolpost.

Comment

Ive got a Birmy 12x36 -- same as the ENCO -- with the AXA and it works and fits nicely,.... though I think its at the edge of its limits.
              If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something........

Comment

recoil, I think the AXA would be best for both lathes. If you can't get the tool as high as needed at times, say with a 1/4" sq. tool, then use a shim under the cutter. Don't be afraid to use shims or any method to make something work.

The problem is, if you get the BXA and you can't get the tool low enough now what?? You sure can't take a shim out can you.

As to more rigidity with the BXA than the AXA, I'm not really sure you'll see a difference.

My opinion, take it or leave it.
                It's only ink and paper

Comment

i'm using an AXA on my SB 11" lathe. i think the BXA would barely fit. personally, i am glad i went with the AXA. plus, accessories are cheaper for it than the BXA.

andy b.
                  The danger is not that computers will come to think like men - but that men will come to think like computers. - some guy on another forum not dedicated to machining

Comment

I have a BXA on my 9 " southbend and it works fine as far as getting thetool low enough. It's a pain for getting in close once in a while but sure is rigid. It has been on loan to me for about eight months from a friend, when I save up enough I will get an AXA wedge style.http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/images/icons/icon7.gif
                    Smile
                    "Just build it and be done"

Comment

I used a AXA clone on my Artisan then on the 10EE until I finally found my 110 series KDK holder. There was no rigidity issue with an AXA size tool post on either machine.

Comment

Eather would work for both.But the AXA would fit the logan better and the BXA woulf fit the Clausing better . So the thing to do is use the AXA on both and cut a 1/4 inch thick square plate and drill a hole in the center and put under the AXA on the Clausing.Now the tool holders will work on both lathes.
                        Every Mans Work Is A Portrait of Him Self
                        http://sites.google.com/site/machinistsite/TWO-BUDDIES
                        http://s178.photobucket.com/user/lan...?sort=3&page=1

Comment

FWIW, I use a BXA on my Clausing 5914 12 x 36" (one of the successors to the 6300), and it's a perfect fit.

I think Lane's suggestion is great -- buy the AXA and make a shim plate.
                          "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

The Taiwan made Southbends 12x36 which are a close analog
                            of the generic gear head 12x36 that sell for $2k to 3.5k
                            worked fine with a BXA holder when I was at the CC.
                            The similar Standard Moderns (12x36) recently installed also have BXA
                            holders. Similar in that they have the same generic 12x36 gearhead
                            design.
                            Steve

Comment

Somewhere there is a chart of the range of different Aloris series. Measure the distance from the top of the compound to center and then consult the chart. I think I saw it on the Aloris website a few years ago when I was in the market.

TC
                              I cut it off twice; it's still too short
                              Oregon, USA

Comment

Working...
                              X