Expanding foam insulation question?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expanding foam insulation question?

Hey guys! I seem to remember someone with experience using this spray bomb foam in an enclosed space.
    I have an 8"X8" HSS That goes all around the bottom of my ol' steel shell building. The cold really seems to travel through this. I'm thinking of spraying the foam in there but I think it may not cure properly. How about more holes...or blow air in there or ???
    Any advice?
    Thanks!
    Russ
    I have tools I don't even know I own...

Don't think you'll be able to fill it with foam, it generaly needs air to cure, I've cut up old molds I've made with the stuff a week after using it, and had it running out of the center.

Maybe cut a few holes in it and fill it with cellulose insulation, or blown fiberglass.

Ken.
    Last edited by kendall; 01-04-2008, 02:14 AM.

Comment

You may find something of interest here. they have the large kits and tanks of foam including the spray on insulation for surfaces.http://www.teksupply.com/webapp/wcs/...sion=TekSupply
      There are minimum temps to cure or spray at and the web site had them listed. Also if memory serves me it is more depended on the moisture in the air to cure.
      Glen
      Been there, probably broke it, doing that!
      I am not a lawyer, and never played one on TV!
      All the usual and standard disclaimers apply. Do not try this at home, use only as directed, No warranties express or implied, for the intended use or the suggested uses, Wear safety glasses, closed course, professionals only

Comment

Here's a place for two-part foam. I have used it in enclosed space, and it does fine.

www.shopmaninc.com/foam.html

Comment

Hi,

When preparing to leave Germany, I had a few things needing to be packaged with a "custom fit glove" so as to protect certain them during their journey to the US. I used spray foam as the packing material and a card board as my form and container. I wraped each part in a plactic bag and sprayed foam into the box. I used a spray bottle filled with water to mist the foam as I laid down more and more layers. Water accelerated curing! So, in fact, you may use a mist of water to speed curing of the foam.

Hope this helps.

Harold
          For those having fought for it, Freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.
          Freedom is only one generation away from extinction.

Comment

Hi,

When preparing to leave Germany, I had a few things needing to be packaged with a "custom fit glove" so as to protect certain them during their journey to the US. I used spray foam as the packing material and a card board as my form and container. I wraped each part in a plactic bag and sprayed foam into the box. I used a spray bottle filled with water to mist the foam as I laid down more and more layers. Water accelerated curing! So, in fact, you may use a mist of water to speed curing of the foam.

Hope this helps.

Harold
            For those having fought for it, Freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.

Comment

Remember,

It may not at any other time but, the air always has enough moisture to cure a can of foam that explodes in the trunk of a rental car. Someone at my company proved this once. . .

Comment

Hi don't they use it in inaccessible areas in boats and it seems to cure ok.What's expanding fibreglass sounds interesting ???Alistair
                Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

They surly do put this in boats. I had a boat that was wet and I spent for ever and a day removing the foam after cutting away a large portion of my deck. When I replaced the deck and glassed it in, I drilled a hole in several places, injected several cans of foam and drove a wooden plug in the holes and let it set for several days. When the pulg was removed I glassed over the hole and sold the boat.

Harold

Comment

Originally posted by torker
                    I have an 8"X8" HSS That goes all around the bottom of my ol' steel shell building. The cold really seems to travel through this.
                    Any advice?
                    Thanks!
                    Russ
                    Sounds like a good place to store packing peanuts.... could just blow them in.
                    Wow... where did the time go. I could of swore I was only out there for an hour.

Comment

2 part foam & spray can foam

I'm assuming from what you say that part of your 8x8 SHS is exposed to the outside low temperatures and the other part is exposed in your shed?

That being the case, filling the SHS with expanding foam, or indeed any sort of insulation is going to make little difference to the situation. Most of the cold will continue to track from the exposed cold face of the SHS, along the walls of the SHS and into your shed.

The best approach if you can, is to fit insulation to the cold face of the SHS.

Cold is the enemy of both 2 part liquid, and spray can expanding polyurethane foams, they work much better in warm conditions, ideally around 20 to 25°C

2 part foams have an exothermic reaction which makes the foam rise and cure. Pour it into something cold, and the surroundings drain off the reaction heat. The foam rises to nowhere near what it should and takes a lot longer to harden up. In extreme conditions the liquids won't rise at all.

Spray can foams foam as they come out of the can, and cure partly by getting a sniff of moisture from the atmosphere as they exit the nozzle, but largely by the commencement of a moisuture reaction at the surface of the in-place foam. Large volumes, especially those with a small exposed surface area, can take a long time to cure because of the time it takes for the moisture reaction at the surface to work its way through the body of the foam, and especially in cold conditions.

Comment

I have used the spray can stuff in a semi tight area. It was expanding for a week later, pushing out along cracks. I was trimming it with a razor for the week. I would trim off what I thought was the last of it and come back a couple days later and it was still movin out. This was a small area behind some perf-board.

Moisture does accelerate the stuff. I wonder how much additional moisture (in the way of a mister tube along side of the application tube) would be a negative.. A simple test would show. The stuff is very sticky, some of the best glue I have used. JRouche
                        My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Yes! That too has been my experience. As much as a week later, after using large quantities of the stuff in one location, I would find myself repeatedly trimming expanding foam that was not well contained. Also, I agree that it has “holding power”. Too, it can be forced into being dense.

This is a wee bit off topic but I will share a use for this kind of foam. I have made several rifle stocks using spray foam. I fabricated a long rectangular aluminum box form (1/16 inch thick aluminum) the sides being bolted to welded angle aluminum. I used inner-tube rubber as gasket material. The top would be secured using wood-working pipe clamps. The inside was sprayed with silicone and served as a releasing agent. As I filled the form with spray foam, my wife used a pump hair spray bottle to incorporate a gentle mist of water to accelerate setting. When filled to the brim, the lid was quickly clamped in place using 4 pipe clamps. By confining expansion, this increased foam density. After 5 days I removed the top and sides and plucked out my condensed rectangular form of cured foam. Using various wood rasps and an orbital sander I quickly shaped the rifle stock to my design. I easily cut a barrel channel and an area to place my metal bedding block for the receiver. No less, room was easily made for my trigger group. You get the picture.

All surfaces were fiber glassed sealing the foam within. After sanding and making final adjustments, the receiver and tang were steel bedded as was the barrel channel (bedding material purchased from Brownells in Montezuma, Iowa). The stock was primed and painted with very expensive airplane model paint (this paint resist potent solvents like model airplane fuel and gun bore cleaner). This made a nice stock for my bench rest rifles (6PPC and 22PPC).

Harold

Comment

Expanding foam, yes, fun to play with. I've always wondered about the shrinkage- considering that it's recommended to spray at 75 to 80 degrees, what happens to it when it gets cold? Will a block of it shrink away from the walls of the cavity its in?
                            I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Hey guys! Thanks for all the info! I fear it is too cold to do anything about this for awhile. I may just glue some styrofoam to the inside of the HSS for now. Can't do it on the outside...there's a foot of ice built up there now.
                              Oh boy! Time management...not enough hours in a day.
                              I finally started phoning around to hire a real guy to pour and finish this floor for me.
                              Finding out bad things about my shop. When it snows/rains at the same time, all the snow slips off the roof and the water runs into the shop due to insta ice buildup in front of the overhead door.
                              Been bustin my butt trying to get a roof up that will cover this area. It's a mess...4 inches of ice everywhere...my shop floor was flooded. If I had the energy I'd sue the previous owner. He claimed there where no such problems even though I was sceptical.
                              I'll have the 8'X14' roof up and done by about noon tomorrow. My (new to me) Wells bandsaw will go under that for now. What an old beauty it is! I'll show you pics...poor old thing has been sitting in the back of my plow truck for two weeks now waiting for a home.
                              It's crazy...so much work! We're building two prototype walkways for the Guvmint this week...if they like them we get 37 more ! Big Bucks Got orders for two roll cages, a big truck bumper...the list goes on.
                              Thanks again for your time!
                              Russ
                              I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

Working...
                              X