Not much Usa in U K

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Not much Usa in U K

whay cant we get more good quality made in the U S A stuff here in the U K it seems very difficult unless you either pay way over U S prices or send off to the states and have shipping,import taxes etc added I wish we could get a lot more here or even some USA stores as I have been to the states many times and have always found the quality very good.
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

I second that - we here over the pond end up paying the exchange rate difference in postage charges in that the carriage is sometimes many times the article cost similar from the far east have much lower carriage charges.
    Peter
    I have tools I don't know how to use!!

Comment

It's a conspiracy.

Here, one can often (I might say "usually", or even "always") get a complete "functioning" item from the "far east" for a substantially lower price less than the local cost of the mere raw materials it is composed of. The cost of labor "over there" to convert the materials into a product appears to reduce the price, not increase it.

This is, no doubt, substantially due to the artificial "pegging" of the major far east currency to the dollar, so that items made there are ALWAYS lower cost, regardless.

As for a "quality US made item", they are not obtainable in the US either.

Everything here is either already made in china, OR the US makers have cut every corner and reduced quality to the lowest. This is because they know their price must be low, and they know the product need not be any better than the chinese crap it competes with. All it needs is a fairly competitive price and a 'made in USA" label.

Keep eye on ball.
      Hashim Khan

Comment

It's a pity because made in USA is far superior to these imports but I would even like a harbour freight here or any other supplier.Alistair

Comment

Aaachhh, laddies! Ya dewnt knew how good you've got it! Quit with yer whinin like old women!

First, the good ole US of A is a very big place. The rust belt fellas have access to great machines at bargains, but a lot of other very urban locales do not. I live in Northern California and religiously watch for machines. If I want to buy a cast off 7-10 year old VMC for a bargain price of $27,000 versus the nearly $100K new cost, I'm in the right spot. If I want a great old manual machine, I'd be better off in the rust belt.

Second, look at all the great stuff in the good ole EU you've got to choose from:

- Deckel is one that everyone has heard of.
          - Schaublin, those wonderful jewels that make a Hardinge or Monarch start to look plain and old fashioned.
          - What of an original Swiss-made Aciera mill? Wouldn't that make an awesome CNC conversion, as wood a smaller Fehlman jig borer.
          - You like SouthBend? Why, when you could have a Colchester?
          - Even better, I've seen oh so few Emco lathes in larger sizes. What beauties these are, and much more recent than a lot of the old American Iron. Alas, most Emcos here are tiny.
          - ESAB makes fantastic welders and plasma cutters. I lucked into a used ESAB plasma of industrial size, but these are also far less common here, and cheaper than the Millers.
          - Gack?!?? Who knew the Germans had a modern shaper. Why lust after small Atlas or other worn out shapers if you could have such a thing.

I could go on, but mind you, I'm an admirer from afar so I don't know a fraction of your stuff, but what I see tells me I should in no way feel advantaged. I'll end with the homely Myford lathes. To read the various HSM treatises out there you would think it nearly impossible to take up the hobby without owning a Myford at some point. Yet I hardly ever see one here.

Don't even get me started on how far machines have to be shipped here either. It's ridiculous to send one across the whole North American continent if you can't get what you want locally.

Sorry fellas, no sympathy for the devil.

Cheers!

BW
          ---------------------------------------------------

http://www.cnccookbook.com/index.htm
          Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:
          http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html

Comment

happy new year Devil USA products cost us twice the price and more when we get them so please sirr reconsider and feel sorry for us once again your homble servant the little devilAlistair

Comment

Aren't the German, Russian, Polish, etc. products better than Asian? Are they hard to get in England?
              It's only ink and paper

Comment

Interestingly here in Canada we can often get "made in the USA" or "made (in India, Micronesia, Albania etc)" but I don't ever recall ever seeing anything "made in Canada".

I often will purchase bits from UK suppliers as I just can't get some items here and often times with the cost of shipping they are actually cheaper and arrive quicker than purchasing from a US supplier. The cost of postage from the US has skyrocketed lately no doubt because of the "safe border" or whatever they refer to the extra security measures now in place and time wise small parcels often take 4 or 5 weeks from the US. A similar size parcel from the UK will often arrive within 7 days and at 1/4 the shipping cost.

Nothing is always as simple as it seems.

cheers, Graham

Comment

Originally posted by Alistair Hosie
                  It's a pity because made in USA is far superior to these imports but I would even like a harbour freight here or any other supplier.Alistair
                  Honestly, you probably wouldn't. 90% of it is junk (my opinion) and the majority of the other 10% isn't worth the 45 minute drive (in my case) to save a few extra dollars.

Comment

Originally posted by GrahamC
                    Interestingly here in Canada we can often get "made in the USA" or "made (in India, Micronesia, Albania etc)" but I don't ever recall ever seeing anything "made in Canada".

cheers, Graham
                    Standard Modern Lathes: made in Canada. Supposed to be quite good, FWIW.

Cheers,

BW

Comment

Thank you for the Complement,I guess no one else Caught it.

Jay

Comment

I wasn't aware the US manufactured anything except for lawyers anymore.

Comment

Schaublin may be nice, but the styling of an EE or HLV cant be beat. Schaublin is a box compared to those. Even laypeople think my EE is beautiful and they dont even know what it is.

Most of the Esabs in the US, especially the larger machines are all USA designed and manufactured. Many are just repainted Ltecs. Only a couple smaller migs, tigs, and plasmas are made in Europe and they are all crap.

As far as Colchester goes, have you seen the prices of parts??? At $1000 for a handle and $750 for a cross slide nut you could buy several SBs.

There are still a LOT of good products coming out from every part of the US, just your not going to find them at Walmart.

Comment

Macona, I beg your pardon, I mispoke. It was Rivett I meant to compare aesthetically, not Schaublin. I do love a Monarch or Hardinge, but I think the Rivetts hold their own for good looks as well:

I'm glad to hear that ESAB is made in the USA. I sure do like my Powercut 1500 plasma cutter.

There are great machines made in the USA, but there are also very nice machines made in Europe that are hard to get here.

Cheers,

BW

Comment

Originally posted by macona
                              Schaublin may be nice, but the styling of an EE or HLV cant be beat. Schaublin is a box compared to those. Even laypeople think my EE is beautiful and they dont even know what it is.
                              Uh, you've never heard the 10EE referred to as the "bubble butt"?
                              The 10EE is an amazing lathe, but the styling is from just short of 100 years ago.

Now the Hardinge, that's a gorgeous machine...

Edit: Bob, that Rivett is stunning -- who's machine is that?
                              Last edited by lazlo; 01-04-2008, 08:22 PM.
                              "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Working...
                              X