Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pleasant afternoon

Just spent a pleasent afternoon sexing Model Engineers

I have a pretty good collection from 1945 up to 2000 with about 6 or 7 missing, not too bad out of about 1800 issues.

Just before Christmas we were given about 8 big boxes of various issues from 1930 up to the present. So Gert and myself set about sorting these into years, then volumes as most years had two volumes.
    Early issues were weekly with 26 issues per volume, later ones dropped to 13 and bi-weekly.
    Then sorted into order.

I have record on Excel from the start in 1898 up to the present so I can mark off what I need.
    I'm not too fussed at going back pre war as the content isn't that good given workshops were skimpy and money short.

Anyway when sorted I was able to extend back from 1945 to 1940 and from 2000 to the end of 2007 but largish gaps in this end.
    Again I'm not too worried about this end as they are easy to get but since MEW came out ME has really turned into a train mag and that doesn't interest me.

Screen shot of the Excel spread sheet. The sheet top left down to the indent is the 1940 to 45 addition and only a few missing. The sheet bottom right from the sticky out bit is the 2000 to 2007 addition and needs a few transplants.

Gert is happy as she now has about 6 sorted and bundles boxes of volumes to go on Ebay.

Think I'll have an early night and do some reading .....................

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

I've have most of them from '27 to 93 missing alot in the 40's, but I gave up getting it, ever since Nexus took it over it has gone downhill big time. I have seen old articles reprinted in the newer issues. When they split it up into several different mags. they just filled them out with crap, just to make extra money.
    The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Comment

Originally posted by John Stevenson
      Just spent a pleasent afternoon sexing Model Engineers

Hmm, any chance the "right" ones could be put together to generate a few new ones? Playing card size might be a little hard to read until they grew up.
      "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

I have a pretty good collection from 1945 up to 2000 with about 6 or 7 missing, not too bad out of about 1800 issues.
        Color me green... with envy.

Orrin
        So many projects. So little time.

Comment

Yeah, no kidding -- is this your version of tool (magazine) gloat John?

You should box-up the duplicate issues you have and ship it to someone in the 'States, so we could have a copy this side of the Pond I'd be glad to pay for the shipping costs...
          "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Robert,
            Shipping on these is a killer, especially with our limits on overseas mail.
            Some of these are too heavy to go air and would have to go DHL

The postage costs even in the UK often outweighs the magazine costs.
            TEE sell a volume, usually that's half a year for between £14 to £17, plus postage

Gert charges about £4 to £5 but postage can be £5 to £7 depending on years due to ME changing format.

It's unfortunate as I know they would be appreciated in the US but unless someone came over, bought a container load and shipped them over it's not going to happen in dribs and drabs.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

I recently sold all my 1900 copies of ME, and nearly 300 EIM mags.
              I was staggered when someone in Australia bought them, he even arranged for his shipping company to call and pack them straight from my shelves so I did not even need to touch them.

The shipping was far in excess of the magazine value so he must have wanted them pretty badly.

Phil

Comment

OK John.. I have a lump of cash burning a rather largish hole in my pocket. How much for the entire lot. Minus shipping of course.. Sock it to me, gimme a bottom, or should I say, a top line Whats it gonna take to relieve you of yer stash? JRouche Oh! That wasnt a rhetorical question either
                My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Working...
                X