Protractor Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Protractor Review

Alistair and several other friends asked me for a review of the Chinese copy of the Russian "Semionov Universal Vernier Protractor" that I bought last month, based on positive comments from Forrest and John. Guy Lutard sells a similar protractor.

I bought mine for $17.50 from "nonstop-bid" on Ebay with $9.50 shipping from Shanghai, China:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=120200938517

Here's what I received:

Overall, the quality is surprisingly good, especially considering the price. The integral square is ground flat and square, and the rack and pinion mechanism operates smoothly.

Like most Chinese tools, it needs some tweaking and polishing. The beam clamps are a bit hokey, but it looks like with some lapping, and replacing the screws, they'll be OK.

The biggest issue (on mine, anyway) is that the clamp screw for the triangular gib for the protractor arc was drilled in the wrong place, so they bent the screw until it fit. This screw should be 90° with the protractor beam:

I'm probably going to TIG the screw hole closed and re-drill it so the gib is correctly located, since the current wonky angle of the triangular gib clamps funny.

All in all, I'm pretty happy with the protractor. It's great for inside angles, such as measuring the included angle of a dovetail.
    "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Here's the original Russian protractor that Dimitry posted (from which the Chinese protractor was copied):

...and here Dimitry has posted some pictures from the Russian manual of the measuring setups you can do. There's no documentation included with the Chinese protractor, so Dimitry's pictures were extremely helpful:

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Heck, for the money even if it is a "kit" you got your nickels worth. Looks like just what i need for a new mitre gage for the table saw.
      Forty plus years and I still have ten toes, ten fingers and both eyes. I must be doing something right.

Comment

Thanks for the informative report. I may just buy one.
        Paul A.

Make it fit.
        You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

Hey Tiffie,
          Hell of a review! Good job. I have the yellow plastic one and have had it for a few years and still haven't used it.......Thanks Fred

Comment

I don't normally by cheap tools unless there is an easy way to return/exchange it, but since Lazlo had good luck, I went ahead and gambled the few dollars.
            The fit and finish on mine was quite good. The tightening stud was bent a bit to one side, but was easily straightened. The gib/clamp sat at an angle, so I 'blued' it up with a magic marker and did a little filing until it fit to my satisfaction.
            There were also a couple of burred edges on the square which took only a moment to correct, so after 10 minutes of finish work, I am left with a very serviceable unit.

Here is a copy of the chart in B&W for anyone who might want one:

Comment

that looks like a very hand gizmo. I've a couple of vernier protractors and a couple next to useless protractor head that comes with a combo square.....they're all quality brands but by the design more often than not you can't get them into a setup....the $17 chicom gizmo might out do them all.

Comment

So are the Russian ones available?

Comment

There are a coupla sellers on ebay selling these - one is in China(with zero feedback), another is in Ontario, username: Promo4less. If you search in Business and Industrial for "Protractors" you'll find them.

HTRN
                  EGO partum , proinde EGO sum

Comment

Now that the thread has been regurgitated Anyone note the difference in price? The same $17.50 protractor is now selling for $47.00.
                    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                    Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

I bought two of these and only got one. So far no response.Alistair
                      Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Originally posted by Alistair Hosie
                        I bought two of these and only got one. So far no response.Alistair
                        Is that so you can measure to 720 degrees ?

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

NO
                          Its so he can get a round2it!!
                          Peter
                          I have tools I don't know how to use!!

Comment

Originally posted by Your Old Dog
                            Now that the thread has been regurgitated Anyone note the difference in price? The same $17.50 protractor is now selling for $47.00.
                            They're still the same price from "Nonstop-Bid" (the seller in my original post):
                            http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=120217147726

They don't have any BIN auctions left, probably because so many people reading this thread bought them

Originally posted by lazlo
                            The Ebay seller I bought it from in Hong Kong, nonstop-bid doesn't always refresh the auction listing, but he told me that he's got an endless supply of them, so just send him a message and he'll re-list them.

Comment

No I Bought one for my elderly friend who has been good to me.Alistair
                              Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Working...
                              X