• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Workshop Mats

Are these any good

http://www.aldi.co.uk/uk/html/offers/2867_4681.htm

they are available throughout the uk tomorrow

will they get impregnated with hard to remove chips ..

have any of you guys used these...... please ...say,,,,, for and against

all the best.markj

Looks very similar to the square mats I got from Wilkos a while back,but they didn't have a border so it's easy to tie wrap as many together as you want.

Comfortable to stand on and tends to hold all the crap in one place ready for the bi-annual sweep out.

Allan

Comment

I have no way of knowing how hard the mat is, which would affect its chip-embedding tendencies, but it looks like a pretty good deal to me. FWIW I've got some soft spongy mats in my shop, and chip embedding isn't a significant problem. I guess some chips have embedded themselves, but they don't bother anything.
      ----------
      Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
      Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
      Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
      There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
      Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
      Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

Workshop Mats

We use simular mats in the shop. Good for your legs and back and they keep the dirt and swarfs stay on one place. Cleaning : Take them outside and use the presure washer.

Comment

Some of the most comfortable mats i hav ever stood on. if they like we got on this side of the pond.
          Every Mans Work Is A Portrait of Him Self
          http://sites.google.com/site/machinistsite/TWO-BUDDIES
          http://s178.photobucket.com/user/lan...?sort=3&page=1

Comment

Got some at work, looks like the same

They work fine at the benches. We don't make any chips, however. I work in a Truck shop. I have a couple others at the home shop, nice and soft. However, the hot chips from the lathe tend to "burn in" and are a pain to remove. Think maybe I'll move them to the woodwhacking machines, they are comfy to my ole tired feet...............

TC

Comment

I have really bad legs from a car wreck. Mostly knees, but also shins (left has only one bone where there should be two) and ankles. So I have a real problem standing on concrete.

I've got one in front of my lathe that has a hard(ish) rubber(y) solid top layer that looks like diamond plate. On the back it has a sort of dense foam rubber coating. Total thickness maybe 3/8" with beveled edges so avoid tripping. This is the best I've EVER used, but I have no idea where it came from as I got it from a surplus dealer for ~$10 I think. I really need it at the fab table where I spend most of my time, but I won't risk ruining it with the welding spatter. So the lathe is where it stays. I wish I had a couple more like it, and I've seen similar, but they tend to be far too pricey to put in front of the welding/fab table.

I've got a door mat in front of the mill. Better than nothing, but not by a lot. Problem is there isn't much room to put something there.

In front of the fab table, where I spend most of my time, there is a foam rubber "sectional" mat like you see in all the cheap stores. Usually come with 4 interlocking squares, sometimes for less than $10. Cheap enough the hundreds of burns don't bother me.

I've seen those honeycomb mats in lots of places. Tried standing on them and they seem nice. I don't think they would have any more problem with chip embedding than my mat in front of the lathe. Only very rarely do I have to sorta bump them with the vac attachment to get them free and gone. The mat still looks near new, and I'm always stepping on chips there. They are pretty hard/tough rubber. My concern would be the chips *packing* into the holes. And of course the frequently dropped nut/screw/washer/key or any other small item that would disappear into the debris lodged in the hole.

Concerns about debris collection aside, anyone with really bad leg/knee problems have any experience with the comfort level?
              Russ
              Master Floor Sweeper

Comment

I would STAY AWAY from the mats with holes......

They are fine for feet, maybe better than the soft solid ones.

BUT, I tend to drop things that I should not, or knock them off tables, etc. On the solid soft mats, they are not damaged.

But with the holes, with my luck, they'd hit the floor through the holes and be dinged up.

Keep eye on ball.
                Hashim Khan

Comment

I put in a pack and a half of the grey, "diamond plate" style snap-together mats that Home Depot carries. They're about 1/2" thick or so, inexpensive, and pretty durable.

They've already saved me their purchase price several times over, in saving dropped tools or parts from the concrete floor.

Now, I deal primarily in aluminum, but even those chips can get worked in. I'd imagine that smokin' hot steel chips would melt right in, if they were big enough. But then again, I think it was about $20 a pack, which is cheap enough to replace once or even twice a year if need be.

Recently, as I've been doing some end-of-the-year shop cleaning, I did pull 'em up, pull 'em apart, and swept most of the slivers off. I even went so far as to use a small (and dull) set of dykes to yank most of the embedded chips tweezer style- took me about an hour is all. Then I swept under 'em and around the machines, and put them back down. I'll be good for another year.

The mat in front of the workbench, which is just a 3x2 rectangle of them, I flipped over and taped together with duct tape. That way it's a pretty unified mat rather than sections, making it easier to pull up, shake off and sweep under.

I'm sure there's different sorts of "better" mats, but for the price, you can hardly beat 'em.

Doc.
                  Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Comment

RE: Mats

Hi Guys. finally something I can add to...

Personally, i wouldn't buy these mats. They seem to me to be WAY overpriced.

When I set up my workshop, I was looking for something similar to those to keep the old size 9's off the cold, hard concrete floor and looked in QD.
                    They do mats incredibly imilar to those on sale by Aldi, the difference is QD sell them as door mats and they cost £3.99.

Now, there may be serious differences. Size and thickness sporing to miond as being possible differences.

However, I bought my father in law some of the QD mats just after Christmas and he loves them too.

My overall reccomendation?
                    Have a look in both places, then decide.

P.S Wilkinsons may be worth a look too.

Good luck.
                    Bill.
                    Last edited by fraker; 01-06-2008, 11:10 AM.
                    Just cause it works, don't mean you can't improve it

Comment

My son gave me some interlocking rubber mats I laid in front of the mill and lathe. After about 6 months of wrestling them around to clean off the chips because trying to sweep them was usless I removed them and they are in the pole barn.

rubber mats by any machine that makes chips is useless and a waste of time.
                      It's only ink and paper

Comment

I'd get them if I were you Mark.
                        I have several of the smaller rubber-mats-with-holes-in-them tie-wrapped together in front of my machines and they are almost perfect.
                        Comfortable to stand on, and most of the swarf drops into the holes so you're not treading directly on it.
                        When you want to clean up just lift them out of the way and sweep.

There was a thread on this about 2 years ago, and IIRC many of us had gone this route (holey mats) and recommended it. In the old days they had duckboards, which were good but had their own problems.

Peter

Comment

Originally posted by fraker
                          Hi Guys. finally something I can add to...

Personally, i wouldn't buy these mats. They seem to me to be WAY overpriced.

When I set up my workshop, I was looking for something similar to those to keep the old size 9's off the cold, hard concrete floor and looked in QD.
                          They do mats incredibly imilar to those on sale by Aldi, the difference is QD sell them as door mats and they cost £3.99.

Now, there may be serious differences. Size and thickness sporing to miond as being possible differences.

However, I bought my father in law some of the QD mats just after Christmas and he loves them too.

My overall reccomendation?
                          Have a look in both places, then decide.

P.S Wilkinsons may be worth a look too.

Good luck.
                          Bill.
                          who is QD

edit never mind

QD Stores are an independently owned chain of discount retail outlets situated throughout the East of England and the Home Counties

i live in wales ..

anyway was thinking of four of them

i bought two just for now for trial .......

most of the answers came here after i had already bought them
                          Last edited by aboard_epsilon; 01-06-2008, 03:54 PM.

Comment

I bought about 60 of these slightly smaller and they ended up under my house useless things get clogged up every five minutes and are a bugger to clean don't buy the ones with holes my advice.Alistair
                            Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

I've been picking up the mats they use for walkways on commercial membrane style roofs, good heavy rubber, raised buttons about 1" diameter, most chips slip between the buttons out of the way so they don't get tracked around. Easy to clean, broom gets most, a shake gets the rest.
                              The ones I have are made by firestone, about 3ft square.

Ken

Comment

Working...
                              X