More Sanding Stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Sanding Stuff

JACAMPB2's excellent sanding belt post made me think of a couple of things I did recently.

I had some pipe copes to shape and was tearing up everything I had to do it with, with little success. Barber-poled some cloth back heavy abrasive around a piece of pipe with contact cement. Spun it with the lathe and it worked pretty good.

And speaking of belt sanding... I ebayed about 30 pounds of sanding belts about 6" X 250" long each. Planned to cut them into strips for a woodworking drum sander. Still will, but have about a 3 lifetime supply. Snowed in and needed a 4 X 36 belt. Used Gorilla glue and a thin fabric strip as a splice. Only problem was glue squeeze through onto the face side. Gorilla glue foams and expands like Great stuff. Finally burned it (and some abrasive) off with a propane torch. Better to have a low spot than a high one. Think I'll try 3M automotive trim and emblem contact cement next time.

Originally posted by GKman
    Think I'll try 3M automotive trim and emblem contact cement next time.
    It handles 140 degree car temps with no problems so it should work fine. I have it in spray cans and it might be a pain to get on the belts in an even fashion without a lot of wastage. You might want to think about doing more then one belt at a time to keep wastage down and also to mask off parts of the belt you dont' want glue on.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Working...
    X