Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thread cutting

Hi All,
    I think i'm having a senior moment - if I get a set of dies for a coventry die head can I use it to cut other threads with the same pitch than the size it was designed for.
    Its just that I think if the tpi is correct then you should be able to cut any size at the same tpi but then I think weel it says only one size on the die!!
    Any thoughts
    Peter
    I have tools I don't know how to use!!

Changing the diameter changes the helix angle of the thread....so I don't think it will work.
    ----------
    Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
    Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
    There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
    Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

I thought from the design of the cutters they cut on the diameter and have a rake to the cutting edge so I thought the rake would not make much of a difference.
      Anyone know!!
      Peter

Comment

Sorry no.

The dies for a Coventry die head are 'sized' according from the distance from the face to the engagement notch.
        so 1/4" x 20 dies will be longer than 1/2" x 20 to reach further in.

There is some + and - adjustment on these heads but not enough to get to the next range.

There is nothing to stop you taking one orphan die segment and using it in a holder to screwcut any diameter of that pitch.

Example on left.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Thanks Sir John that is what I was thinking about it means I will have spare dies but I would only need the common metric pitches and only those for the finer threads. Perhaps I should have said chasers.

Peter

Comment

Working...
          X