My big idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My big idea

My big idea for the new year is this .Since square holes are so difficult to make why can t they make a large combination of circular metal stock with a square hole already made in it.Just like I suppose a giant washer with instead of a round hole in the centre a square one.Now obviously I only mentioned a washer to give an idea of the look of the product but it could come in lengths of all different sizes to be cut on a lathe etc to actual size required .This would mean that you simply bore a hole wide enough and deep enough to accept the circular implant then job done my son.Alistair ps I know this is going to be shot down in flames
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

what like this?

try searching for square hole tool sleeves.

Comment

My big idea

I could never understand why someone wouldn't broach the subject earlier.

Are the square holes intended so that you can string your wealth neatly?

Incidentally--- 'broaching' the subject yet again, Chinese money has square holes.

Comment

Originally posted by aviemoron
        Incidentally--- 'broaching' the subject yet again, Chinese money has square holes.
        Too funny Norm! I should make a tool holder out of a stack of Chinese coins welded together. Oh, the irony!
        "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Evan just needs to finish his "broach-o-matic" for the lathe and publish the plans.

Evan, you got a CNC now, what's taking so long?

Cheers,

BW
          ---------------------------------------------------

http://www.cnccookbook.com/index.htm
          Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:
          http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html

Comment

yes Thistle you got it good Brother.Norman the only reason you got money with square holes is because you being a superb marksman shot at it with square bullets.Hey now I am wonderring why don't we have square bullets.Alistair

Comment

MyBig Idea

Robert,
              The truth is that I am a member of a Chinese - yes, I know- Masonic Chapter here in Newcastle. I know, I know! I was in HongKong for the installation of the local Lodge Master as Master of the HK University Lodge. He commutes to-------France. ( Takes deep breath) Whilst we were in HK, the Master brought the coins in blocks for us to celebrate the forthcoming Chinese New Year. These are 'dished' out at one of the local restaurants as 'Good Luck money'. Oh, and we got picked up on the security scanners in Dubai! It gets even more complicated( takes further deep breath) and I got picked up by a bunch of Ladies of the Night in Dubai.

To think that a Burns Supper( also a Freemason) was the limit of my ambitions.

Now there is the story of the half Chinese- half Scottish lady consultant urologist- but Alistair might get overheat his haggis.

What has this got to do with ------ well, I did bring my wife a broach back.

Normal model engineering will be suspended whilst I consider an offer to go to a place called Phuket.Obviously, to another Masonic effort.

So mote it be!

Comment

Originally posted by Alistair Hosie
                yes Thistle you got it good Brother.Norman the only reason you got money with square holes is because you being a superb marksman shot at it with square bullets.Hey now I am wonderring why don't we have square bullets.Alistair

actually, i think some fiendish Victorian engineer devised a repeating cannon with squareish "rounds" for use on Muslims and more conventional round "rounds" one Christians- cant rember who it was or what the name of the weapon was though.....

Comment

Norn I am very glad to see you at your age getting around so much enjoy enjoy enjoy my dear old friend,and I don't usually get my haggis in a knot over anything so go ahead tell the joke.Alistair

Comment

Originally posted by thistle
                    actually, i think some fiendish Victorian engineer devised a repeating cannon with squareish "rounds" for use on Muslims and more conventional round "rounds" one Christians- cant rember who it was or what the name of the weapon was though.....
                    The Puckle Gun.
                    Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
                    ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

Square.

Originally posted by aviemoron
                      Are the square holes intended so that you can string your wealth neatly?

Originally posted by lazlo
                      Too funny Norm! I should make a tool holder out of a stack of Chinese coins welded together. Oh, the irony!
                      laslo.

Just be sure that the extended square hole is straight/true and not a spiral else the "dreaded Chinee" will have screwed you and your tool - again!!! It would not only be an irony but also an ironic twist!!

Australia in its early days actually had 2 coins made from one. A hole was punched in a dollar coin and called the "holy dollar" and the "slug" was also used as coinage currency.

So the "Holy Dollar" may not have originated in the USA at all although the US developed it into a mantra and an art form!!.

In New Guinea (now Papua-New Guinea or PNG) had/had a silver coin with a hole punched into it as well - for carrying on a cord/thong as well.

Norm.
                      I can assure you, that contrary to legend and hear-say, a particular hole of fundamental import/ance to people of the Orient does NOT go East-West but North-South as in the Occident. Many people of my acquaintance have expended large amounts of time, effort and money - and had a VERY good time - verifying my assertion.

Comment

Alistair,
                        A bit sooner and you could have made a fortune!!!! Fred

Comment

My Big Idea

I got worried about this post. Obviously, Alistair keeps his money close to his his nost important assets. I ran the risk of being 'blackballed' and then thought 'Can you get blackballed in an Oriental situation?' and then our our cousins have green pictures of Masonic symbols. Yes, Alistair, something to note. And then 'we' started to 'debase' the coinage by clipping the edges from silver coins- hence the 'milling'. Now how is that for going back on topic?

I don't think that I dare expand on Old Toffie's conclusions on lateral thinking.
                          I merely let him stand up for himself!

Bye!

Comment

As usual Norm you are a genius well taken back on track wizardly done.Did you know you can make these shapes with playdoughAlistair

Comment

Working...
                            X