Lunar Vehicle Simulator Fabrication

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lunar Vehicle Simulator Fabrication

It has been seven years since I retired from the Johnson Space Center, but I saw something there during a recent visit that should be of interest to everyone that cuts metal.

Go to http://chariot.jsc.nasa.gov and you will find a complete description of a Lunar Vehicle Simulator along with excellent pictures. Google the Title and you will also find a lot of related information.

The aluminum machining was accomplished by two dedicated CNC machines that ran 24/7, and everything fit perfectly when it was assembled. The central frame was constructed by a race car builder, powder coated, and then sent in from California.

This all-electric, computer-controlled vehicle can turn around within its own length, and raise and lower itself to the ground for ease of loading and unloading.

Everything from "Project Start" to "Hardware Roll-Out" required less than two years.

What, No prints? What good are you?

Comment

wolfie is just kidding Saverio !!! His wild howl is worse than his bite welcome from me at least kindest regards Alistair
      Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Vehicle Simulator Fabrication

Thanks Alistair, you are truly a gentleman and a scholar.

Those that take the time to click on the link cannot but help be impressed with what is almost a mechanical and electrical Work of Engineering Art. The site is frequently updated with new pictures and has attracted the attention of the Media. In fact, the BBC has already been by to do filming, and a U.S. network anchorman will be filmed taking the vehicle on a test drive February 8th.

I was associated with some of the electronic systems used on the original Lunar Rover, and had the very good fortune of driving its 1G vehicle simulator around the parking lot. It was a thrill indeed, and not easily forgotten.

I will be pleased to answer any questions you may have that are not covered in the vehicle's web page.

Comment

It looks too complex to me.
          Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Working...
          X