Did John Stevenson mention

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did John Stevenson mention

an adaptor he made for 5c colletc holders to take e.r collets I would like to know more .If so does anyone remember this and is it available to buy?? Alistair
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

I remember it and I think at last update, he was waiting for some ER 32 collet nuts to arrive or something??

Paul
    Paul Carpenter
    Mapleton, IL

Comment

Alistair,
      Try http://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/ under latest
      Unfortunately they are not green!!
      Peter
      I have tools I don't know how to use!!

Comment

Thanks guys! Yes peter that one says only useable with drawbar fixture and I want to use mine in a 5c collet chuck with camlock suitable for my lathe I wonder why it would not work if the collet chuck is fixed then the 5 c section should be ok anyone know why this is?Alistair ps thanks for help so far

Comment

My guess is that they are saying that a collet closer would not close the ER collet, but I really dunno.

In effect, any sort of 5C collet arrangement would only hold the 5C portion. The ER collet relies on tightening of the collet nut at the front to hold the work.

If the threads on the back of the 5C adaptor are there externally as mentioned, I would think that any standard 5C collet holder would work just fine??
          Paul

Edit-- just re-read what they wrote and I think the point they are trying to make is that you must use something that holds the 5c portion by the rear as with a drawbar type collet fixture. I would think that your 5C chuck also uses thes threads. I believe those all use a wrench to turn a scroll that threads onto the collets external threads.
          Last edited by pcarpenter; 01-10-2008, 06:47 PM.
          Paul Carpenter
          Mapleton, IL

Comment

Originally posted by pcarpenter
            I think the point they are trying to make is that you must use something that holds the 5c portion by the rear as with a drawbar type collet fixture.
            I think you're right Paul -- John bored-out an emergency 5C collet to the ER-32 dimensions, so you need a drawbar to hold the 5C collet in place. Then you use the ER-32 nut to close the ER collet.
            "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

So what happened to Johns Ebay store? Was Mary Poppins Bag or something. I searched and couldn't find it
              I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

Mary Poppins

Originally posted by torker
                So what happened to Johns Ebay store? Was Mary Poppins Bag or something. I searched and couldn't find it
                Hi Torker.

Try these.

I just tried them and they open the required site/s.

Comment

Thanks for that! I used to have that bookmarked but lost it when my old computer died. John has some good stuff in there.
                  Aw CRAP...I forgot to quote...
                  Russ

Comment

I just looked throught his whole store and don't see the item you're talking about Alistair.
                    I swapped email with his daughter about them last year and he was waiting for them to come from the east or something. Never heard a thing about it after that.

Comment

John may well be doing it through arceurotrade or something or someone else I am sure I saw an advert with his name attached to it somewhere.Alistair

Comment

Peter posted the link to John's 5C ER collet chuck at Arc Euro.
                        It's under "Latest", the 6th item down:

Arc Euro Trade Ltd. – Unbeatable Value Engineering Products. Engineering tools, SIEG lathes and milling machines for small workshops, prototype, and model engineers.
                        "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Thanks Laz! I didn't realize that was Johns site. First I've seen of it. BTW...I see the Divisionmaster has resurfaced in his blurb about the CNC rotab. Prolly something else I missed last summer.
                          Russ

Comment

Russ, that's not John's site. Arc Euro seems to be the U.K. equivalent of CDCO.

I think John licensed his 5C ER collet chuck to Arc Euro.

Comment

Working...
                            X