Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seig U2 Milling/Drilling/Grinding ?

http://www.siegind.com/Products/br-u2-lathe.htm

Does any one of the group here know if these are curently being sold here in the US and if so by who?
    Forty plus years and I still have ten toes, ten fingers and both eyes. I must be doing something right.

Flying Car?

You want a flying car?, one on Ebay right now, current bid $45K
    "four to tow, two to go"

Comment

Wow only 185 metric tons in weight
      I could be an instand scrap dealer.

It looks like a very nice vertical horizontal millingmachine at the quality if have seen earlier from Black and Red.
      I am afraid the grinding function would work less than desiriable. Every up stroke of the handwheel will lift the table. Perhaps in combination with automactic feed.

Comment

I asked John "the Earl of Stumpwater" Stevenson in a PM if he knows anything avbout these things and if he does to respond not in a PM but in the thread. The Table hand wheel & screw would need to be able to be disconnected from the table nut some how. Maybe some sort of half nut that could be raised and lowered. Then a more convential traverse mechanism could be used. Either Gear and Rack or Cable and Drum. But I suspect he is sound asleep from a hard day saving the Realm right now.
        Forty plus years and I still have ten toes, ten fingers and both eyes. I must be doing something right.

Comment

Sorry Mark but I don't know a lot about this machine.
          I have seen it and I'm sure the table feed disconnects and transfers to a rack feed for grinding.
          I may have some pic's from Canton in April when there was one on display.

We call it the Ugly Two [ U" ] but Sieg aren't happy with this remark
          I did ask why they built it and apparently they were asked to by a customer, no idea who or even what country.

It seems to be a 3:1 machine with no one function being correct.
          Spindle speed of 200 with low torque is to fast / too poor for horizontal milling. The grinding side isn't addressed with decent extraction / bellows etc and the vertical bit is cover better by ther machines.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Take you John. I suspect like most combination machines it fails to do anything really well. But if the price of the U2* were low enough given what 6x12s and smaller go for in the US on ebay if they are in decent shape a number of things might be able to done to it to get it to perform adequetly for the HSM.

* Will Bono sue them?

Comment

Hmmmmmmm……….

That is kinda neat, I’m not sure if they’re including the cabinet for the weight, at 407#, but it might be a little more substantial than I’m familiar with from the Seig folks, not quite sure what magic they might have used to rate the motor, (at 1000 Watts) we all know that 1hp = 746 Watts, so if it’s true, that mill might be able to do a lot of work for its size.

C’mon Sir John, I think it’s kinda cute, although, I’ve lusted for one of these for nearly 20 years, haven’t even laid a hand on one yet! Afraid I’m in the middle of nowhere on the wrong side of the pond, but I’m not giving up hope!

Emco FB3

Chandler

Comment

On further reflection combining the functions of a milling machine and surface grinder is probably not that good of an idea. For one reason the construction of the ways of the two types of machines are worlds apart. A mill has to have a reasonably tight arangement of dovetail or square ways with gibs for adjustment. The mechanical advantage suppied by the screw lets the operator move the table fairly easily. Grinders on the other hand normally have a flat way on one side and a vee way on the other that the table or cross slide rides in. This arangement holds true for small surface grinders up to large ones like this http://www.galleryofmachines.com/page13.htm although Mattisons have a overhead cross slide for the wheelhead that rides ona dovetail way. OD and ID cylindracal grinders work the same way These ways are around twice as long as the table/cross slide so the table/cross slide is supported throughout its travel. A variation on this is ball ways. But in both instances the cross slide and table are held to the ways by gravity alone. I suppose that you could overcome the problems of combining the two function with the use of linear ball ways on the table. The cross slid is less of a problem as a dove tail slide could work and the mill already has the slide to way length ratio. The vertical axis slide is not a problem. Too bad there is not a parts manual to peruse.

Comment

Originally posted by Spin Doctor
                  Does any one of the group here know if these are curently being sold here in the US and if so by who?
                  SyilAmerica.com sells a cnc'd version of this, for a pretty penny.

Comment

Originally posted by tmarks11
                    SyilAmerica.com sells a cnc'd version of this, for a pretty penny.
                    Ouch!!!!!!!

Comment

Make that horizontal milling part able to hold a spindle for a 4-8" chuck, provide a place to set a tail stock, (~20" down the cross slide direction), and tell me that the cabinet could ship with an optional tig/stick/plasma with additional spool feed and AC/pulse options, and that thing would sell like gang busters.

Of course, most technical or engineering schools would have an overwhelming demand for 220V 30A service in dorm rooms after that, but you get the general idea.

No, I don't expect anybody to actually make a product to do that, but if they did everybody would bemoan the fact that it lacks a decent slip roll, brake/shear, and press.

Comment

Working...
                      X