model making advice required lathe.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• model making advice required lathe.

I have for a long time wanted to make a model of my lathe and am thinking of starting this very shortly.I picked up some advice from my old pal Fred he reckons not too small and to make the base cabinet out of wood.My present lathe is 64 inches long and he recommends making after serious deliberation and many measurements a 1 to 4 scale just over 20 inches long by about 7 wide.First of I am a bit dubious although see the sense in a wooden base made to look like metal.what do you huys think to be helpful I will say this .This is not going to be a working model although I would like the saddle to move along the bed if possible.I just want to make it look very original and help and advice would be very well received.Alistair
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Metallic powder and resin.

http://www.alumilite.com/index.php?p...ype=APPL&id=14

Hey, it's the sort of thing I've been learning about lately...

Comment

No problem answering that question Alistair. You are first a wood working craftsman. The finest display models are most often made from wood as you well know. Some of the high density woods can be treated as if they are metal for turning and milling, ironwood comes to mind. For a display model perhaps the singular greatest advantages of wood are the lighter weight and the ease of assembly with glues. There are plenty of ways to simulate the appearance of metal accurately. Just check into model aircraft building and take a visit to the closest hobby shop catering to that hobby. You will find, among other things, foils that can be applied to simulate metal very accurately.

Bare-Metal® Foil is the finest product of its type on the market today. For years, others have tried to copy our foil, but no one has been able to match Bare-Metal's unique qualities.
      Our foils come in Chrome, Ultra Brite Chrome, Black Chrome, Gold, Matte Aluminum, and Real Copper. Our Chrome and new Ultra Brite Chrome look great anywhere you need a chrome finish. And our colored foils can be used to simulate surfaces such as black chrome on modern cars, gold on model rockets, matte on aircraft, and copper on building roofs. These are only a few of the areas where Bare-Metal® Foil can be used. There's really no limit to the number of applications for Bare-Metal®.
      Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

If your making a non working model I would make it the size of a watchmakers lathe and completely out of wood. The lead screw could be made of a hard wood or pressed fiber or plastic.

It's a model so I would not make it more than 18" long.
        It's only ink and paper

Comment

Here is an example of simulating metal using foil on a complex surface. I never finished it so the rivets haven't been done but you can see how the foil will conform to a compound curve no problem.

Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Machine tool models

I suggest that you look at Barry Jordan's web site initially.
            It will lead you to where and how.

Cheers

N

Comment

Evan that look's very interesting .I should have pointed out that everything from the base up will be made in metal and turned or milled with a little help from Fred.Barry jordan is my hero.but there are a few others who are very talented.Make no mistake I am no engineer and realise my inabilities but making a barry Jordan model is well out of my reach. However I need a project and this could be it if I take my time this could be a very nice little project thanks for encouragement so far guys.Alistair

Comment

Originally posted by Alistair Hosie
                Evan that look's very interesting .I should have pointed out that everything from the base up will be made in metal and turned or milled with a little help from Fred.Barry jordan is my hero.but there are a few others who are very talented.Make no mistake I am no engineer and realise my inabilities but making a barry Jordan model is well out of my reach. However I need a project and this could be it if I take my time this could be a very nice little project thanks for encouragement so far guys.Alistair
                You have the real thing . Measure it divide by 4. Nothing is out of YOUR reach if you put your heart and soul into it.

Just do it one piece at a time. You have every one here to help you figure out how.
                Every Mans Work Is A Portrait of Him Self
                http://sites.google.com/site/machinistsite/TWO-BUDDIES
                http://s178.photobucket.com/user/lan...?sort=3&page=1

Comment

Hey Alistair, don't know what woods are available to you over there but Pear wood is extremely stable and dense and Poplar is the wood of choice in the US for those who do laminate work on fine furniture as it is also very stable with little or no imperfections.

Keep in mind that in Craft stores for women they have extremely thin foils for craft work that could be interesting for a project such as yours. First you coat the wood with a varnish type coat and while it is tacky you apply the foil and burnish it on. For model making you could do a lot with that.

Good luck and all the best my friend.
                  - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                  Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Thanks guys I can always count on my pals here if I'm stuck.Alistair

Comment

Working...
                    X