Pics Of The Mla Diesel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pics Of The Mla Diesel

I know you guys like pics. I wish they were better but this old camera does not seem to focus well anymore. The motor groans when it tries. Well here we go...

Many may have read the thread about the MLA diesel engine. I bought the plans. I did not like the looks of the engine so I am making it to suit me.

I am making changes along the way. Many expressed interest in this engine and I listened to the opinions of others and I am trying to make corrections to better it.

First the cyl. is designed to be machined out of cast iron. I plan on making this an airborne hobby engine so I made this out of aluminum. I will be running a full length cast sleeve as a liner. This will cut way down on weight.

Second.. I do not like the looks with the contoured head. I like modern so I am leaving it round. You may ask why did I not add more cooling fins to the head. Good question. First the last fin is where the mount bolt heads seat. There has to be at least .250 for them. I left a bit more. I always go for more rather than less. Also the reason I went with fins is because a couple guys that made this said the head got extremely hot. This could be because they ran it on a stand (not the best cooling) and it may just run very hot. I added a couple fins (the original had no head fins) and the head was much smaller (less material). I feel adding a couple fins would be ok as my head has much more cooling area which will allow for more even and quicker cooling. Also my engine will be flying with a very good stream of air for cooling. I do not want to cool it too much or it will affect running ability.

This is what it will look like together. I have finished the lathe work on these so next the milling and drilling will be done. I hope when it is done I will have a .40 size r/c diesel engine.

I will be adding a throttle. Not sure what I will use but I am researching it.
    Last edited by cybor462; 01-14-2008, 01:28 PM.
    Life Is Grand

Looks good---keep the photos coming!

Comment

I have those plans also, it is on my "to do soon" list. You all know the one.
      I second that, please keep the pics coming.

Thanks!

Al A.

Comment

Looking good so far,I suppose the fin count was kept low so it cooled without cooling too much right?
        I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Cybor462,

Just curious as to what a MLA diesel is? I did a search but couldn't find the thread you mentioned. Is it a real diesel, ie using pure air (and non-volatile fuel), or a compression ignition engine using ether or some volatile fuel fed by carb? I think I have heard of only one small scale true diesel, with injection etc, it sounded like a difficult project.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter S
            Cybor462,

Just curious as to what a MLA diesel is? I did a search but couldn't find the thread you mentioned. Is it a real diesel, ie using pure air (and non-volatile fuel), or a compression ignition engine using ether or some volatile fuel fed by carb? I think I have heard of only one small scale true diesel, with injection etc, it sounded like a difficult project.
            It is a compression iginiton engine. Uses an ether mix fed by a carb. I intend to add throttle as this one has only two settings, one needle valve and a compression release screw.
            Here is the link
            http://www.sc-c.com/metallathe/MLA-17.html
            Life Is Grand

Comment

Originally posted by wierdscience
              Looking good so far,I suppose the fin count was kept low so it cooled without cooling too much right?
              The original did not fin the head. Yes you are correct I did not want to cool it too much as that will cause running problems. I was told by others that made and ran it that they felt it got too hot. So As I did not like the old style looks anyway I decided to give it fins for needed cooling and it would also make it more modern looking. Also I had to maintain a heavy bottom section because the head bolts seat against that and I wanted to be sure there was enough meat so they would not deform the head.
              Life Is Grand

Comment

Originally posted by Peter S
                Cybor462,

This is the link to Andy's site and this engine kit and description - http://www.statecollegecentral.com/m...he/MLA-17.html
                "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Comment

cybor, I got my plans about a month ago but since I am still working on a steam engine project it is up next to be built. I too am going to do the cyl the same as you did. I intend to use it in a R/C airplane like you are. I look at them from time to time and try to plan an attack. I haven't thought about changing the head. How did you contact the other builders?

I have considered doubling the size of it just for the heck of it.
                  Last edited by Carld; 01-15-2008, 06:25 PM.
                  It's only ink and paper

Comment

Carl.. search here and you will find a thread about it. There are some guys 1 I know for sure that built it. I also spoke to Andy the fellow that sells the plans. Real nice guy. There are also other posts on another webboard, can't recall which one as it was early last year I found it. If you Google you could find them.

Have you decided about throttle control? I remember years ago a guy at our field had a couple choppers with diesels. They were throttled but he always had major trouble with them running.

I need to dig deeper.
                    Life Is Grand

Comment

cybor, I have been thinking about using a carb off an OS .25 or .32 and using a remote tank. I talked to Andy after I got my plans and asked him some questions and told him I was going to do what you are doing. He said it would be better to not change to much but I like to experiment as you do as well. He said to send pictures so maybe you should send some to him.
                      It's only ink and paper

Comment

I have a question for you guys that are in the know on these engines. I used to fly model rc planes and I always ran 2 stroke glow engines. Could the plans be followed for the MLA diesel and a modification to the head for a glow plug be made so that it could be run on glow fuel instead of the diesel mix. It would be so much more convenient for me to just use glow fuel. I am only interested in using the engine on a test stand with a prop, no plans for flight.

One other thing about the throttle you are wanting. Have you thought about using an exhaust throttle? I had a Lite Machines helicopter with a Norvel glow engines on it and they were throttled by the exhaust. Basically it just restricted the flow of exhaust and slowed the motor down. To listen to it run you couldn't tell the difference between it running and my two stroke O.S. engine running with a standard barrel carb. It idled very well and was very responsive.
                        Jonathan P.

Comment

Hi Jonathan, The engine is a long stroke engine so you would have to limit the rpms but yes I would think you could work it into a glow plug engine. I haven't looked at the plans for a few weeks but I guess it could be done. You would have to use a large enough prop to keep the rpms low but I don't think it would have enough power to fly an airplane that way.

A slide cover on the intake or exhaust is the way the first throttled model engines worked. I was thinking about doing that to start with and then decided to just use a modern carb on it.
                          It's only ink and paper

Comment

Not a diesel guy but I think the one thing you would not want to do with a diesel would be run a exhaust throttle. Basically it runs and performs entirely from compression. Changing or messing with cyl. pressure I think would cause it to die. They use a compression screw to adjust cyl. pressure to get it to run correctly. By closing down the exhaust would change pressure and surely cause troubles.
                            Do I have this right? You guys in the know about diesels get in on this.
                            Life Is Grand

Comment

Originally posted by Carld
                              cybor, I have been thinking about using a carb off an OS .25 or .32 and using a remote tank. I talked to Andy after I got my plans and asked him some questions and told him I was going to do what you are doing. He said it would be better to not change to much but I like to experiment as you do as well. He said to send pictures so maybe you should send some to him.
                              I like to play but Andy is right. I just answered a post here about exhaust throttle. I think Andy is getting at making those type of changes. Changing cyl. pressure would be a bad thing. An exhaust throttle would make the changes and they would be too radical too quick.

As far as a carb. I would love to get plans and build one. I remember back when I flew r/c I had many carbs off and they were not too bad. Getting the metered ports drilled would be a problem I think as they are sooo small. And again we have to worry about cyl. pressure.

I am making it with the venturi as shown on the plans but then I will playing with a carb. I want to be sure it runs before I mess with the fuel system. I was also thinking of going with a pump. that is another area of problems fuel delivery pressure. If there is the least bit of leakage air or fuel there will be all kinds of trouble. A pump would fix that.
                              Life Is Grand

Comment

Working...
                              X