Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Muzzle Loading Percussion Lock - Drawings Anywhere?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Muzzle Loading Percussion Lock - Drawings Anywhere?

I am interested in manufacturing my own percussion lock from scratch, and have been looking around for dimensioned drawings for such a project. I can't believe someone hasn't done this before, but I can't find any information on such a project. I am hoping someone on this board can point me in the right direction. Thanks.

Perk

Quite a few years ago I bought a book "Build Your Own Muzzle Loader" or some such title from Brownell's www.brownells.com and it had drawings for everything.
    ----------
    Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
    Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
    There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
    Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

SGW

I checked Amazon and found a book as follows;

How to Build A Muzzle Loading Rifle; Building a Muzzle Loading Target Pistol; Let's Make and Trim a Powder Horn by Lou; Hunley, William; Johnston, Ladow Cowher (Hardcover - 1958)

Does this look like the one? Thanks

Perk

Comment

Sorry -- I can't tell you for sure. I moved about 6 months ago, and now the only books I can find are the ones I don't want! I guess I'll get organized, someday, but I have no idea when....
        ----------
        Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
        Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
        Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
        There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
        Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
        Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

Check with the National Muzzleloading Rifle Asociation's archives.

Comment

Google books has "how to build your own wheellock-rifle or pistol"
            The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Comment

Siler locks

Hi,http://www.flintlocks.com/locks.htm
              Try this website . There was a man named Bud Siler that made excellent locks. He sold out to the man that now sells his type lock,
              You can get some ideas from this website.
              Myself I prefer the double trigger set trigger setup, it works very well.
              Chuck

Comment

prints wont help you much imho, you are better off just drawing it by hand 1:1 from a picture and cutting everything with a bandsaw/file. If you have full page labels, I like to copy the drawing on to them so that I can stick the actual drawing onto the metal and cut and file that way. Then I file to fit.

Comment

Try searching the patent office.

No idea what you might find but here is a short list.

Last edited by Evan; 01-16-2008, 08:58 AM.
                  Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

The only parts drawings for locks I've ever seen were in George Lauber's books,
                    How to Build Your Own Flintlock Rifle or Pistol and How to Build Your Own Wheellock Rifle or Pistol (no percussion locks, just flintlocks and wheellocks). Both are out of print and mucho expensive.

The Wheellock book is floating around the 'net in PDF form. Get it here -
                    http://thedisease.net/functions.php?...lock_Plans.pdf
                    or if that doesn't work, here -
                    http://thedisease.net/?ejaculate=lib...on=Gunsmithing

Lauber gives dimensions for only one size of each lock, intending them to be used on both pistols and rifles, which is a bit ahistorical.

Comment

I seem to remember that there are a couple of sketches in "The Muzzle-loading Cap=lock Rifle" by Maj. Ned Roberts. I remember for sure that there is a couple of drawings for a "set trigger." Log on the Dixie Gun Works site and browze through their on line catalogue for books, and drawings. Or you could buy a lock from Dixie, dis-assemble it, measure and trace the parts out on graph paper.
                      Last edited by Al Messer; 01-17-2008, 12:26 AM.

Comment

http://www.wolverhampton-gunlocks.fs...ocks_work1.htm

Comment

Working...
                        X