PM site question I would rather ask here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PM site question I would rather ask here

I figure you guys may be a bit more tolerant of a question about the new PM site than the folks who linger over there because I would bet this has been asked there more than a few times. I just don't know what to search on to find the answer.

It appears that after the move to the new BBS software on the PM site, all the old topics that I consider a huge archive of information are not there. I have searched on topics in the past as a reference that keeps me from having to ask a new question....stuff about a particular machine etc. It looks like that ability may be gone.

What's confusing is that I can look at the number of threads listed for a particular forum....like old machinery for example...and its in the thousands. However, I find that there are maybe 5 pages of topics listed within that same forum. This does not match up.

What gives? Is the information out there somewhere in an archive? I've got an old metal planer coming and wanted to see if I could find some info on it without having to post a new topic.

Paul
    Paul Carpenter
    Mapleton, IL

Paul, scroll right down to the bottom of the page, and in the left hand bottom corner there is a title bar marked Display Options.
    Under this there are 2 boxes marked 'Sorted By' and From The', in the 'From' box, select the option that says ' From the Beginning', and you will see all the threads from day one in that forum.

Peter

Comment

Don is supposed to be working on a way to view all the past threads.
      It's only ink and paper

Comment

Thanks guys. Given the simplicity of the solution and they way the answer was handled gently in spite of my stupidity, I am glad I asked it here

Paul
        Paul Carpenter
        Mapleton, IL

Comment

vbulletin is some cheesy software is clunky and slow. To upgrade it when the time comes is a nightmare, the admin menus stink and it lacks tons of features the free software has.

As long as people have more $$$ than brains they will keep buying that rip off software.

I run a vbulletin forum 5+ times bigger than this forum and Im telling you vbulletin is a peice of crap.

Comment

Paul,

Have a look at:

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...ghlight=franco

It appears that at the moment the search function is limited to giving 20 pages of results. This means that in searchers for frequent posters and popular topics the results will not go back far in time; for less frequent posters or less popular topics they may go back several years.

To complicate things further, during the changeover period from the old to the new Board, some threads were duplicated, and will show up twice in searches, further reducing the actual number of separate threads which will come up in a search.

franco

Comment

Originally posted by pcarpenter
              Thanks guys. Given the simplicity of the solution and they way the answer was handled gently in spite of my stupidity, I am glad I asked it here

Paul
              Paul...never hesitate to ask...there is no such thing as a stupid question.

As we both know, PM has more than its share of problems with Thomas being one of them and the culture that he encourages.

Until he is willing to spend the money he is making from the site on better support and software for the site instead of personal toys, the problems will continue to fester.

And as you have noted, the HSM website is a class act and well supported.

TMT

Comment

Originally posted by Too_Many_Tools

As we both know, PM has more than its share of problems with Thomas being one of them and the culture that he encourages.

TMT
                What???? Did I miss something? Don loves us here...doesn't he?
                http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...ghlight=chaski
                He shows a lot of repect here...
                http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...highlight=Evan
                I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

Don has, shall we say, a very sharp tongue. He don't know how to nicely say don't do such and such. He likes to belittle poeple. If he starts a thread and you make a post he don't like he attacks you.

I like the others at the site and stay there because of the info I learn from the others and I certainly learn nothing from Don except a smart ass attitude.

He said he was not wanted here and would not post here again but I bet he watches this site.
                  Last edited by Carld; 01-18-2008, 11:17 PM.
                  It's only ink and paper

Comment

He's already posted here since. I really don't give a ratsass either way. I like his site but I think the two instances I linked where pretty small.

Comment

Originally posted by torker
                      What???? Did I miss something? Don loves us here...doesn't he?
                      http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...d.php?t=146879
                      Wow, I hadn't read that thread. Apparently we're a bunch of mud-slinging, teenage whiners

The really amusing part is that most of the people complaining are active member here too
                      "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Robert...ya, there where a couple in there that are DT ass ki$$ers who are regulars here. I was suprised.
                        It's too bad really. DT is a very knowledgable fellow. Too bad he has to act like an A-hole 98% of the time.

Comment

For those who didn't read it, I was one of the suspects who posted there.

Whilst I didn't denigrate anyone here, and in fact spoke in defence of this forum, I did support the fact that vitriolic personal attacks really have no place online.

I have no axe to grind with T_M_T and certainly wouldn't class myself as a sycophantic of DT either, but other than haranging obvious trolls (fair game for anyone...) I've always tried to remain fairly neutral in my posts.

I even used to enjoy the postings from Millman

Peter

Comment

Geeez, they must run a ridiculsy tight ship over there if folks feel they'll get less abuse by coming over here to ask an innocent question about their site.
                            - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                            Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

I love both the sites, and others also. I go online for the leaning adventure. I can learn just as much from all the highly skilled folks here as on the PM site.

Heck, for that matter I end up learning something from just about everyone I come in contact with. It helps that Im just a lump of clay, dirt as it were LOL

Nope, Ill never be too big for my britches so I have a hard time belittling anyone for their posts here. Now personality conflicts are another story JRouche
                              My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Comment

Working...
                              X