Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• torker
    replied
    I agree wit ya tiffie! All the boards I visit (HSM, PM, Chaski, and CNC Zone) are a tremendous resource that I use daily. As for the "arrogance" displayed on the PM site...I don't get it. The previously mentioned Millman was the epitome of this "machinist arrogance".
    This reminds me of my younger days when I was learning how to teamrope and had stars in my eyes.
    I started going to pro roping schools as I'd learned more than the locals could teach me....I was kicking their a$$ on a regular basis and was starting to think I was pretty hot stuff.
    The guys putting on the schools where world champions....the very best there was.
    One of the first things they taught was to be humble. This was genuine...these guys where so humble I couldn't believe it. We never heard them brag or belittle anyone.
    After I started practicing what they preached my (semi pro)career took off and I always had lots of help along the way. I still use their advice to this day.
    That's why I get a bit irked when I see some guys who think they are Gods gift to everyone. They are (or where) machinists. Not world champs...by a long shot.
    Russ

Leave a comment:

• oldtiffie
    replied
    Same thing.

I do check the PM site when I get a note from them.

Some of the articles are very good.

Most of the posts like-wise - same as here.

But it does seem to me that when the members of both AM and HSM when commenting on each other in the threads quoted in AM for being "slammed" are each doing more than a little bit of that themselves.

I would think and hope that the some who make/made those the comments on both AM and HSM about each other are in the vast minority and not representative of the wider membership of each.

This sort of thing only generates "winners" who are not as bad as the "losers" - ie the "winner" is least worst.

Leave a comment:

• JRouche
    replied
    I love both the sites, and others also. I go online for the leaning adventure. I can learn just as much from all the highly skilled folks here as on the PM site.

Heck, for that matter I end up learning something from just about everyone I come in contact with. It helps that Im just a lump of clay, dirt as it were LOL

Nope, Ill never be too big for my britches so I have a hard time belittling anyone for their posts here. Now personality conflicts are another story JRouche

Leave a comment:

• Your Old Dog
    replied
    Geeez, they must run a ridiculsy tight ship over there if folks feel they'll get less abuse by coming over here to ask an innocent question about their site.

Leave a comment:

• Peter N
    replied
    For those who didn't read it, I was one of the suspects who posted there.

Whilst I didn't denigrate anyone here, and in fact spoke in defence of this forum, I did support the fact that vitriolic personal attacks really have no place online.

I have no axe to grind with T_M_T and certainly wouldn't class myself as a sycophantic of DT either, but other than haranging obvious trolls (fair game for anyone...) I've always tried to remain fairly neutral in my posts.

I even used to enjoy the postings from Millman

Peter

Leave a comment:

• torker
    replied
    Robert...ya, there where a couple in there that are DT ass ki$$ers who are regulars here. I was suprised.
    It's too bad really. DT is a very knowledgable fellow. Too bad he has to act like an A-hole 98% of the time.

Leave a comment:

• lazlo
    replied
    Originally posted by torker
    What???? Did I miss something? Don loves us here...doesn't he?
    http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...d.php?t=146879
    Wow, I hadn't read that thread. Apparently we're a bunch of mud-slinging, teenage whiners

The really amusing part is that most of the people complaining are active member here too

Leave a comment:

• torker
    replied
    He's already posted here since. I really don't give a ratsass either way. I like his site but I think the two instances I linked where pretty small.

Leave a comment:

• Carld
    replied
    Don has, shall we say, a very sharp tongue. He don't know how to nicely say don't do such and such. He likes to belittle poeple. If he starts a thread and you make a post he don't like he attacks you.

I like the others at the site and stay there because of the info I learn from the others and I certainly learn nothing from Don except a smart ass attitude.

He said he was not wanted here and would not post here again but I bet he watches this site.
    Last edited by Carld; 01-18-2008, 11:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

• torker
    replied
    Originally posted by Too_Many_Tools

As we both know, PM has more than its share of problems with Thomas being one of them and the culture that he encourages.

TMT
    What???? Did I miss something? Don loves us here...doesn't he?
    http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...ghlight=chaski
    He shows a lot of repect here...
    http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...highlight=Evan

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by pcarpenter
    Thanks guys. Given the simplicity of the solution and they way the answer was handled gently in spite of my stupidity, I am glad I asked it here

Paul
    Paul...never hesitate to ask...there is no such thing as a stupid question.

As we both know, PM has more than its share of problems with Thomas being one of them and the culture that he encourages.

Until he is willing to spend the money he is making from the site on better support and software for the site instead of personal toys, the problems will continue to fester.

And as you have noted, the HSM website is a class act and well supported.

TMT

Leave a comment:

• franco
    replied
    Paul,

Have a look at:

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb...ghlight=franco

It appears that at the moment the search function is limited to giving 20 pages of results. This means that in searchers for frequent posters and popular topics the results will not go back far in time; for less frequent posters or less popular topics they may go back several years.

To complicate things further, during the changeover period from the old to the new Board, some threads were duplicated, and will show up twice in searches, further reducing the actual number of separate threads which will come up in a search.

franco

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    vbulletin is some cheesy software is clunky and slow. To upgrade it when the time comes is a nightmare, the admin menus stink and it lacks tons of features the free software has.

As long as people have more $$$ than brains they will keep buying that rip off software.

I run a vbulletin forum 5+ times bigger than this forum and Im telling you vbulletin is a peice of crap.

Leave a comment:

• pcarpenter
    replied
    Thanks guys. Given the simplicity of the solution and they way the answer was handled gently in spite of my stupidity, I am glad I asked it here

Paul

Leave a comment:

• Carld
    replied
    Don is supposed to be working on a way to view all the past threads.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X