Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drill press clamp?

Feb. /Mar/ 2003 vol 16 #1 Page 26.
    The article by John Opfer Jr. There is a clamp on the drill press in the photos that looks very interesting and useful. Is this shop made or is it a production unit? I would like to locate one like it if possible??

What magazine?
    ----------
    Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
    Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
    There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
    Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

There are many home made and commercial drill press clamps, I have a vise gripe one and have made a couple.

Jerry

Comment

Sorry, I tried checking on the patent number on the tool in the picture, but text is not available for that number.

Comment

Use the "images" instead.... you can see the original patent document....

Comment

I haven't seen the magazine, but here is a clamp I can recommend, made by ScanGrip (Danish). I have seen their No. 13 clamps given heavy use for years on drill presses without giving trouble.
            You can get a riser block for them, too. You don't actually need Tee-slots, you can still use them if your drill press table has slots or holes.

http://www.optico.dk/dk/x_index.asp?url=scangrip.asp

LH side, under SCANGRIP, click on 'Metaltaenger", then click on B&W image of '13', click on colour image for a larger view.

Comment

Thanks every one. Sorry I didn't mention the magazine but I presumed we all only read one, "the home shop machinist". This is not ment as an insult to any one with thin skin. Figured i'd throw that in before I got throtled or quarted.

Comment

You may want to check out the Float Lock vises made by Eagle Rock mfg.
                http://www.eaglerockonline.com/WAHLSTROM/M189a.htm

You should be able to make a reasonable copy of it from a pipe clamp.
                Mill the jaws parallel and square, use solid rod not pipe to mount clamp heads on, make suitable jaw liners/extensions, attach, make the anchoring clamp, attach to press table.

That was fast and easy, right?

Comment

Gunsmith,

Think you mean M/W ?? Looks like a cam operated clamp projecting from the column. Maybe a production item, from that stamping ( on side ) towards the top of picture. If I remember correctly, a similar clamp was a project in a previous issue.

Comment

***#@@@##***! Now you've got me started. I just gotta get/build/have a drill press clamp. Drilled for years without one but now, gotta have it.

Another cotton picking project. ###@@@***##!

Thanks,

Paul A.
                    Paul A.
                    SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
                    You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

A lot easier to just make a suitable anchor for a Destaco type clamp.

Comment

Working...
                      X