ENP Plating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ENP Plating

Does anyone have any experience with electroless nickle plating, TDC (thin dense chrome), or gullon plating? I would like some opinions beyond that of the vendor. I have concerns about long term adhesion in an abusive environment. The ENP has been suggested for corrosion protection on the inside and outside of a steel part.

Brownell's www.brownells.com sells the materials and also, I think, has a set of instructions, if that's of any interest. They're also pretty good about answering questions.

I expect durability depends a lot on how good your surface preparation is and attention to detail during the process.
    ----------
    Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
    Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
    There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
    Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
    Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

ENi is very corrosion resistant. Since it is a chemical process and not electrolytic it plates uniformily on all surfaces exposed to the bath. It is about 52 Rc as plated. You can heat it to about 300 C and it will harden to the equivalent of about 70 Rc. For corrosion protection most ENi is plated about 0.001 inch. Thicker plating takes longer and costs a lot. I recommend having a plater do it and not trying to do it on the kitchen stove. Adhesion to any given substrate is a strong function of pre-conditioning of the part surface. You need to tell the plater the chemical make up of the part material. Good stuff if it is done right.

Comment

Thanks, I was unaware you could do this sort of plating yourself. For these parts however, I will leave it to the professionals.

I have never heard of ENi, is this another term for ENP?

Comment

ENi is a common description for electroless nickel. Another is NiP for nickel phosphorus. ENi is really a nickel phosphorus alloy and good quality ENi has about 13 percent phosphorus.

Comment

Cass, I notice you are from Rockwall. I am in Mckinney. Perhaps you can recommend a reliable plater in this area?

Thanks SGW, I found the instructions helpful.

Comment

Working...
            X