No announcement yet.

Why are all machines on the east coast!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why are all machines on the east coast!

Why is it you never see anything forsale on the west coast?

Funny, living on the east coast everything on e-bay seems to be from the west coast. I think it's a case of "grass is greener on the other side side of the fence".

Albert

Comment

The "rust belt" always generates a lot of scrap? .... I give up, why?

Comment

I don't understand it either. It used to be that all the real good buys where at least a thousand miles away from New England, but lately I have seen what seems to be some very good buys around here. For example: CNC milling machine, 3 axis Supermax ycm-40 w/allen bradley 8400 control, cat 40 spindle, runs great. $2600.00
        Also: Bridgeport Milling Machine $1200.00.
        South Bend metal lathe 9" swing, 3.5' bed, very good condition. $700.00
        And: 1997 Bridgeport EZ trak Vari-speed, Power drawbar, Exc. condition, $8300.00
        13" Southbend Lathe, Need some work $550.00
        A Brown & Sharp shaper for $500.00/bo, no mention of stroke length.

Just a few examples.

------------------
        Paul G.
        Paul G.

Comment

There is/was by far more industry east of the missisippi than west. Almost any shop of any size no matter what they made had at least a lathe and a milling machine and a couple of drill presses. Even woodworking shops. Just about any town of 10,000 and over had a least one machine shop. I remember driving through some wide spot in the road(literally, four houses and a saloon and an abandoned service station) In the service station was a shop with two bps two lathes and a honkin' big surface grinder.
          When shops began to out source their machining to shops overseas, well, who needs the equipment anymore.Plus the fact CNC has gotten cheaper.

Comment

Try to find a good milling machine in the Upper Great Plains. I think they are nonexistent here. I did get a decent South Bend last year, but I am still looking for a mill.

Paul

Comment

Been lookng for a lathe in the midwest for over a year now. They are few and far between and seem to get bid out of my range quickly. Guess you don't need them to grow corn.
              Paul A.
              SE Texas

And if you look REAL close at an analog signal,
              You will find that it has discrete steps.

Comment

I figure one day I'll hook up a big trailer, stuff the pocket with cash and take a road trip.

Hey, we can start a convoy.

Comment

Because of the big differences in price between the US and UK on used equipment I have often wondered if it would be worth it, on retirement to fill a container with the surplus stuff, send it to the US and sit in a Motel 6 parking lot and have an Ebay sale.
                  Should soon recover the shipping costs.

Copy and paste the following numbers into Ebay to see what I mean.

2531289768 Check the delivery out on this one.

2532466990 This one didn't even get a bid. With DRO, 40 spindle ptaper and 5 hp motor

2531209195 I have one of these and the bugger got this one for three quid less than I paid for mine

2531183749 tidy CNC machine here, again with no bids.

John S.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

I'm located in Iowa, Have a nice DoALL 12x6 Surface grinder I just re-painted and replaced a couple minor parts, taking up room in my shop I need for a "new" project. Make me a offer... by email. B.G.
                    Retired - Journeyman Refrigeration Pipefitter - Master Electrician

Comment

What's that size (12X6) refer to on a surface grinder? Is that the travel range, X and Y?
                      Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

It really should be 6x12, table size 12 inches accross and 6 inches front to back. The travel is such that the wheel will pass over the table in both directions, plus.

If you are interested; email is:

mailto:[email protected]

The thing weighs 1620 lbs, would require a lift gate or a winch to load. I have extra grinding wheels, diamond for truing, and it has a homebrew coolent system that works fine. Automatic lube system. Three phase 230 volt on a phase convertor now. If you are considering a HF grinder, this far exceeds anthing China is shipping now.
                        Can email pictures if needed. B.G.

Comment

It really should be 6x12, table size 12 inches accross and 6 inches front to back. The travel is such that the wheel will pass over the table in both directions, plus.

If you are interested; email is:

mailto:[email protected]

The thing weighs 1620 lbs, would require a lift gate or a winch to load. I have extra grinding wheels, diamond for truing, and it has a homebrew coolent system that works fine. Automatic lube system and magnetic chuck. Three phase 230 volt on a phase convertor now. If you are considering a HF grinder, this far exceeds anthing China is shipping now.
                          Can email pictures if needed. B.G.

Comment

Thats because, from here in Nor Cal, everything east of the Mississippi River is the east coast.

Jon

Comment

What's that size (12X6) refer to on a surface grinder? Is that the travel range, X and Y?
                              Lynn (Huntsville, AL)

Comment

Working...
                              X