OT – why I like this forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT – why I like this forum

I just finished reading a bunch of posts on PM; it’s never been clearer than it is now why I post here and not there.

Reasons:
    1. I don’t have to read about how everything from global warming to the economy is china’s fault.
    2. I don’t have to worry about asking a question about a machine smaller than a bp.
    3. I don’t have to worry about asking a question about a tool that doesn’t have made in the USA stamped on it.

The list could go on for a few pages, but I think these are the top three.
    Last edited by dan s; 01-26-2008, 01:56 AM.
    -Dan S.
    dans-hobbies.com

I lasted on PM about a day. And that was that.

Comment

Read my post count...99% stoopid questions. Never once has anyone made me feel stoopid here.
      Russ
      I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

We do global warming here too. It just hasn't been a decent interval since the last one. What we need is a nice juicy one sided partisan news story with questionable science and an obvious bias toward the stupidly simplistic 15 second sound bite style of reporting on complex matters with even more complex possible interpretations and tentative solutions that are at best slightly effective and more commonly totally worthless.
        Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Don (milacron) rules with an iron fist. he will ask a question then call you a fool when you give your opinion.

He is a Nazi goderator and a control freak, I see no reason to ever go there and put up with his abuse and snotty attitude.

I will keep my clicks and support on forums that have some degree of respect for its members and are not heavily moderated. We are adults and dont need a mother to watch over us.

Comment

I too prefer this site, but there is nothing to be gained by making disparaging comments about the PM board in general, or the intelligent people who typically post there (many of which also post here).

Comment

Don is a jerk, I wont mix words. Anyone who can read can see that.

Comment

I agree with Torker, we are not all dyed in the whool machinists with man and boy spent in the engineering industry. If some of the questions seem a little simple or easy its just that some of us have spent our lives in a different sphere of endeavor and even the simple mundane things are new and unknown, so understand and pass on the explanation or knowledge and cut out the 'its to easy for words lecture'.
                I would like to thank all the contributors here who enter into the spirit of the forum and pass on good information and the occasional 'funny' remark!!
                So to all lurkers come on in its better here than the other place!!

Peter
                I have tools I don't know how to use!!

Comment

I much prefer this site as well.
                  It's far more relaxed over here and there are some incredibly clever projects and ideas that arise on this board, which are far more pertinent to what we might *want* to do with our machines, rather than what people *have* to do over there.

TBH I believe that 90% or more of the membership on the PM site really belong more over here than over there if they would admit it to themselves.

Nevertheless, PM is also a fascinating and useful site with some very clever and experienced posters and provides a valuable insight for the HSM into industrial levels of our hobby.

I'm a bit of an in-betweenie. I design and sell injection moulding tools and moulded products and assemblies for a living, and my partner runs a full-time toolmaking shop and has done for over 30 years.
                  I'm in there 2 days out of 5 every week and it's been like this for me for the past 25 years. But I have a hobby shop that I started 3 years ago to get back into making parts myself.

Peter

Comment

and you are allowed to say, "I hope this helps !".

Comment

and you are allowed to say, "I hope this helps !".
                      Just don't put it in your sig.
                      Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Dan. The first shop I worked in as a kid was a T&D shop in Skokie Ill. staffed almost completely with guys from Germany. They went out of their way to make sure you not only knew how, but also why. It was like a classroom you got paid for attending. It was a lot of fun. I could never understand the attitude of anyone in this business who would not impart what they've learned to someone else. This site is a lot like that first shop.

Comment

I find both forums (fora?) inviting, interesting and welcoming.

Don tries to stick to the rules he set out clearly, and as a moderator of two forums myself, I know that it's necessary to steer things back on track sometimes. If I have one criticism, it's that he's more lax than I am when it comes to shutting down long threads that deteriorate into personal, political or other bickering.

He has a blunt, sometimes abrupt style of communicating, but that does NOT make him deserving of the kind of cheap name-calling posted above.
                          Cheers,

Frank Ford
                          HomeShopTech

Comment

I think Don has, in general, been pretty consistent about locking threads about Harbor Freight-class machines. Locking the gauge block thread because the blocks in question were Chinese was a mistake, in my opinion, since many of the Starrett, SPI, Fowler, and Brown & Sharpe metrology tools are now made in China.

But nobody's perfect, and it seemed like a casual question (re: whether the gauge blocks had a mass-produced cert sheet), so I don't understand why it created such an uproar on PM. It didn't help things when that young kid jumped in and started slinging sh!t...
                            Last edited by lazlo; 01-26-2008, 12:39 PM. Reason: Typo
                            "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

I agree with Frank.

I guess it is kinda hard to hurt my e-feelings

Comment

Working...
                              X